May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

20 Jun 2020 18:26 #29725 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
ALWAYS carry a torch! :stare:
I usually spend nights collecting fibre and berries around a safe beach-side spot. I like the way you can still do it while carrying the torch (unlike the other tools/weapons) and you can also use it to hit things in the night. I did once kill a night-time raptor with a torch. :)

Do you unlock more respawn points as you explore further? Don't you also get one when you have a proper bed too?
I still haven't got that far so I can't answer my own questions. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jun 2020 18:45 #29726 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Always carrying a torch is a bit difficult when you just went ded and lost everything :dry:

I don't know if you unlock more points, but I think you can place beds in places you want to be able to respawn. I just hadn't enough hides to make a bed yet! But I'm finally home. Now, if I could only remember what killed me in the first place so I can avoid dying again...? (Before I have those hides, I mean)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

20 Jun 2020 18:51 #29727 by Charlotte
Well, what do you know. I found my "backpack" from the first place I died. Nice to know items can be retrieved even when there is no beacon. And I vaguely remember wanting to get back in time to skin a couple of dead dinos, so I guess their friends must've killed me...

20 Jun 2020 19:10 #29728 by Valence

Always carrying a torch is a bit difficult when you just went ded and lost everything :dry:

That's why I put the storage box next to the spawn point and filled it with basic stuff like torch, pick, spear, outfit. :lol:

I just can't trust myself to not die.

20 Jun 2020 19:12 #29729 by Charlotte
ooooohhhh.... I always put the boxes in my home... but to have an early one at the spawn point is not a bad idea... :P I'll try to remember next time...

20 Jun 2020 22:37 - 20 Jun 2020 23:00 #29731 by Charlotte
Oh no! This is going to haunt me forever! Two of the floor pieces are oriented the wrong way! :argh:

The brontosaurus in the background tried to climb some rocks and apparently he got stuck. He's so embarrassed about it, he's not even trying to get lose (like most of them do when they've spawned inside rocks and trees). I've considered chopping away at the rocks but... it's kinda nice knowing he's right there. No thumping and ruining trees right outside my house! I can't make that re-fertiliser stuff until level 38!

EDIT: It actually did bother me too much... I read on the wiki that you get all materials back when you demolish so I demolished those two pieces and one more by accident... And found that I did NOT get back enough for three pieces but rather 2,5. :huh: Oh well, I fixed that and managed to get the last few hides I needed to make a bed which was what I wanted to finish before quitting.

Attachments:

21 Jun 2020 01:49 - 21 Jun 2020 01:57 #29733 by Valence
Wow, you're patient at building! :ohmy:

And is that the roof that you're stood on?
Looks much more impressive than my epic spawn point base of... two boxes, a camp fire and a standing torch. :lol:

Speaking of which, I had big plans today but not for building. Unfortunately my plan was immediately scuppered by two raptors that suddenly appeared from the bushes on the hill and killed me.
After respawning I couldn't even restock before they chased me down and came after me again but thankfully they annoyed the local Triceratops couple and they dealt with them for me. :cheer:

Result! :thumbup:

Annoyingly the scuffle destroyed one of my storage boxes so I had to take some time to rebuild and restock. But another pleasant bonus was that my death beacon wasn't far so I got all my stuff back as well as some other stuff from the raptor bodies including some tranq arrows. Don't have a bow yet but I'll store them for later. :)
(Oh and I got some wall/floor/door/ thingies from the supply drop!)

Now to the plan...
And after much clubbing, catapulting, chasing, clubbing, chasing, swimming, clubbing, chasing and finally punching (it actually went on much longer than that description but you get the idea) followed by some frantic berry feeding, I have tamed a Parasaur!
I called it Doggo.

And I can make it follow me and can even ride it!

:woohoo:
The saddle did cost me all of my stocked hide but it was worth it. There's loads of other behaviour options too and when you right-click while riding it gives off a "radar ping" to show you any sneaky hidden dinosaurs that may attack you.
I'm not quite sure about whether you have to feed it or how that works, or even if you can lose it if you don't do the right thing. That last bit worried me so I quit at that point and will read up on it tomorrow. :)

But it was all very exciting! :excited:
Attachments:

21 Jun 2020 10:12 #29735 by Charlotte
I'm not sure if they feed themselves when roaming but you can build a feeding trough. I think the safest thing is to keep food in their inventory. And I read that it might be a good idea to use bolas when trying to tame some animals - to keep em from running, you know? Anyway I haven't tamed anything this time around. I'll go for some dodos first I think and then make kibble (and bolas) and get me a parasaur too. I'm hoping that'll help me venture farther then the peninsula I'm on. (And yes, I'm standing on the ceiling/1st floor. I plan to build one more floor and then make the roof a balcony from which to keep an eye on things. I also have the engrams for a forge, smithy and metal tools, but they require loads of hides and I probably won't get those for a bit.... I don't want to kill nice animals, only predators :P

21 Jun 2020 11:08 #29736 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
You guys must be playing a different game to me. The one I played for a bit yesterday wasn't worth the wait for it to finish downloading and will probably be uninstalled pretty quickly. I hated every second I spent playing it.

21 Jun 2020 11:20 #29737 by Charlotte
:blink:
Maybe you downloaded the original? You know, the one where you have to build a boat for that guy Noah, and run around capturing two (but never more!) of every dang animal on the planet?