April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

21 Jun 2020 19:32 - 21 Jun 2020 19:56 #29761 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
:cry:
I'm such a terrible mother! I hatched a baby dodo and then accidentally killed it :cry:
I swear I was just trying to set it's behaviour.... stoopid e button... though I guess I must have clicked my left mousebutton or something, too.

Well, then I harvested the baby corpse for meat, and it's the second time I've received prime meat. It spoils so fast I can't even make it to the fire and transfer to that inventory for cooking! (And I was mere metres from the fire!)

I hope they lay another fertilised egg. I'll try to take better care of it.

EDIT: and now I'm happy again. I saw one of those green lights descending relatively close (I'm in an area pretty much devoid of them, so this was the first within reach). I managed to get to it without being killed. It contained another large storage box which will be useful I'm sure. I can't recall what the other item was, but there was something else, less interesting. On my way back with my loot, I picked up another female dodo so now I should be getting twice the amount of eggs!

That means I should be having enough to make both kibble and food for myself. Now I need to sort out the most efficient way to build those irrigation systems and figure out how to connect them to the grow bed thingies so I can start growing veggies. Dodos like veggies. (Come to think of it, they get refilled when it rains too... But I still want to understand the irrigation systems...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2020 20:05 - 21 Jun 2020 20:09 #29762 by Charlotte
A friend just asked if ARK was a fighting game and that's why I die a lot... (she doesn't like MMO's cause of all the bashing.... :nope: ho doesn't enjoy a good bashing!?) and this is my reply (afetr which I realised I'm probably not the best game marketeer)

well... you die because you get attacked by compsognathids, dilophosaurs, sarcosucchus, hesperornis, raptors, angry flying ants, giant dragonflies, and loads others. If you manage to run away you die due to starvation, cold or heatstroke... *nods*

Also I checked out the recipes for that party cake slice... you can make yourself a chibi T rex!? :excited: All you need is to go dodo slaying... :dry:

EDIT: and chibi mammoth, and twin chibi parasaurs, and.... and... oooh.... *poor party dodos*

21 Jun 2020 20:06 #29763 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

:cry:
I'm such a terrible mother! I hatched a baby dodo and then accidentally killed it :cry:
I swear I was just trying to set it's behaviour.... stoopid e button... though I guess I must have clicked my left mousebutton or something, too.

You make simply pressing a button sound so terribly difficult :whistle:

21 Jun 2020 20:10 - 21 Jun 2020 21:09 #29764 by Charlotte
:stare:
not at all. In this case it was obviously much too EASY!

EDIT:
new dodo is incubating. I might need to enlarge their pen...
also did some interior decorating...

Attachments:

21 Jun 2020 22:14 - 21 Jun 2020 22:17 #29765 by Charlotte
Another baby dodo died... apparently I'm not killing them by accidentally hitting them. They just need food. Imagine that! :dumb:
(still have to figure out if there's a difference between "hand feeding" and putting food in the pet inventory...The wiki isn't exactly the best when it comes to explaining things - at least not in a way that I can understand :dry: - The wiki also states that rearing babies is very time consuming... so maybe I just.... shouldn't...)

EDIT: and oops, look at the time... I'd better save painting the floor and ceiling for another day. I can't decide what colour I want on the floor. The colours behave rather strangely. I used sky blue in my previous game and it looked pale grey. I've used navy in this one and it looks dark blue grey. But blue looks BRIGHT blue. (Except in firelight when it looks very purple.)

22 Jun 2020 01:07 #29766 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
It's embarrassing how far ahead of me you all are. :blush:

Still haven't built anything at all but at least I got Doggo to lay a big brown egg. :sick:

Spent most of my time getting to grips with the riding and behaviour controls. The radar ping is really useful, spotted a few hidey predators in that way which allowed me to walk a different route or prepare for attack. (Die Level 19 Troodons!) I also dispatched some Moschops to get my hide stocks back up and then made a couple of beds and sleeping bags to drop off when I start exploring further. Getting my Parasaur to do the attacking is good fun but I am scared it's gonna die. I REALLY don't want to lose all the stuff it's carrying for me! :nope:
Harvesting stuff is a bit more efficient while riding too. You can end up with a lot of berries very quickly.

I made my way right around the south west coast, tentatively exploring until Doggo's radar started warning me about quite a few of those ominous big birds. I've seen individual ones plucking stuff out of the waters but having several of them overhead seemed like I was pushing my luck a little, especially considering that I haven't fought one of those yet and I'm not even sure how to fend off aerial attacks. So my nervous self chickened out and did a bit of a detour before a massive downpour took away all visibility and left me waiting for the rain to ease.
Attachments:

22 Jun 2020 10:07 #29767 by Charlotte
Maybe it has something to do with me getting a bit obsessive when I find a new game I like.... :dry: I think I made it to level 31 yesterday... (Much thanks to those four dossier boxes though)

I haven't made more than one bed yet and from what I understand you can't take anything with you when moving from one bed to another... So... no easy "harvest in this area and bring back home via the safe route" I guess...

I had another go at taming one of those moschops yesterday. They're supposedly asking for random things but so far they've all asked me for honey, so I was curious to see if that would happen again. He asked for a tintoberry first so I gave him one.... and I dunno.... :dunno: but I think he must have been allergic or something :dry:. Anyway I saw these small specks of blood on him.... waited for him to get hungry again, but he didn't. His health was low and he got more and more blood spots... and then finally I went to check on him again and he was dead.... But that gave me both meat and hides, so.... it's all good. For me.

As for the birds I'm not sure if the red vs white/black are different species or just male/female colorations. Or random colorations. I've been attacked by a few but then again others have fled... maybe depending on level? I've taken one out with bow and arrows... but another knocked every tool/weapon out of my hands with each attack. I didn't realised I dropped them but thought they were gone, so I lost all of them. If it happens to you - PICK THEM UP before they go poof!

22 Jun 2020 11:38 #29768 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I'm only about level 13. I'll be glad when I get to 15 in order to access the green supply drops. They'd better be more useful than the white ones. The last one I got was mostly berries. :blink:
There are berries all around! Why would I want a supply drop of them? :dunno:

Wait a minute- Can you "fast travel" between beds?
Or is that the kind of "travel" that only happens when you die. ;)

If you're making a long journey you should definitely ride cos the dinos are great at carrying stuff, It's like having a portable storage box. :)
A box that can die if you're not careful. :(

I'm determined to keep my Doggo safe. :lol:

22 Jun 2020 12:43 #29769 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Yes, you can travel between beds. It's like travelling through time in The Terminator as you can't take anything with you. You can only use a sleeping bag once, but a simple bed will remain reusable over and over (with a cooldown timer preventing you just hopping back and forth).

22 Jun 2020 13:46 #29774 by Charlotte
I have four dodos, two kibbles and a canteloupe colored floor. :aha:
I also killed a hesperornis, while it was int he water. Bad idea... apparently you can't swim and drag a body so I had to chop it with the axe, under water (hoping it wouldn't attract piranhas). It worked though...

I'm going to have to paint the pen door, though. I cant separate one piece of thatch from another...

Attachments: