April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

22 Jun 2020 15:26 - 22 Jun 2020 18:46 #29781 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I tamed a moschops - and obviously named it Moses. Apparently it's good for gathering wood thatch and laying large eggs. But as it is male, I guess.... not. Also you can ride it without a saddle! :excited: - and it's.... probably gonna make you sea sick. But as I jumped on to ride, I was also rewarded a parasaur saddle skin. (To let me "ride in style" or something like that - of course I dunno yet what a normal parasaur saddle looks like...)

EDIT:
and now I have running water indoors. This plumbing business sucks...it's impossible to make it look neat (or I should have planned it better from the start - like when I had no idea how to attach things) and I think I might get water damage... :dry: but at least I don't have to run to the beach every time the water skin is empty.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jun 2020 20:46 #29782 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Hope your Moschops is green so that it fits with all the other green things you have. :lol:

Can you flush away your poo with that running water? ;)

22 Jun 2020 20:48 - 22 Jun 2020 21:32 #29783 by Charlotte
Not yet, but theoretically I could unlock the toilet engram and connect that to the water system... I'm not sure I see the point though - it's supposed to help make fertiliser but my dodos produce enough for now.

and I just tamed a dilophosaur :blink: I named her Graze (like one of sis's cats)
Though so far she's just standing stock still in the water.... maybe she ate some narco berries (I added both them and kibble)

EDIT: Graze is stuck in the water (I'm hoping logging out and back in will help) and Moses is missing... I had him enabled to wander and now I dunno where he is...

I also had to remodel that plumbing. Looks much better now and the water isn't visibly flowing but I can still drink from the tap. I had to change the whole thing, though, as changing one piece made everything out of alignment... and now I have one lonely flying water pipe that I can't reach to demolish... (there were more but with the aid of a thatch foundation I managed to get up on a rock to remove the others)

Edit 2: Grazie is still stuck :(
and I don't have any food for her either... :dry:

22 Jun 2020 21:35 #29784 by Valence

Moses is missing...

Just wander around the landscape whistling. :whistle:

I'm sure it won't attract any predators. :dry:

22 Jun 2020 21:50 #29785 by Charlotte
I can't remember how to whistle.The only time I did was because Gandalf was stepping on the keyboard...

and GRRRR now the tap looks better and doesn't spill on the floor but instead I can't access it's inventory so I can't fill up water skins. Which was kind of the main purpose with having it right next to the cooking pot. :eyeroll:

22 Jun 2020 22:36 - 22 Jun 2020 22:37 #29786 by Valence
There are LOTS of whistle commands and my Doggo ignored them all last night. :lol:

I think J is follow for all Dinos in the area but that might include your Dodos too.
I had more luck using the apostrophe key ' for the whistle menu.

23 Jun 2020 02:00 - 23 Jun 2020 02:10 #29787 by Valence
Idiot! IDIOT! IDIOT!!!!!

:rage:

Doggo's dead. :cry:
And it was going so well.

I went off exploring to the West, cleverly using the radar pings to avoid nasty groups of predators and picking off the lone ones. Oh, but there was one awkward moment when a Diplodocus got angry at me trying to take a closeup screenie and I had to run away on foot as it charged me. I guess they don't like paparazzi. :shrug:
But never mind, I escaped easily enough, the big ones look scary but they turn like a ferry. :lol:
So back on Doggo and I'm exploring away and I even manage to successfully get this good view without falling off a cliff...

I did get a bit too close to the edge when turning around to go back but Doggo clung on. *phew*
Good Doggo!
At this point I started to feel confident as I instructed Doggo to bash this Dilophosaur, smash that Troodon and any other Dodo that got in the way, all while pinging the radar to keep away from groups. It's all going wonderfully! :thumbup:
Then I saw a big green pillar. And it wasn't a supply drop. It must be my last death. And I think I was carrying some good loot. Should I? Should I? :hmm:
*Ping*
Hmm, Doggo says there's three things patrolling that area. Too much of a risk. :nope:
So I turn around and make my way back to the safe beach. Except... I can't quite find the path and I end up circling around to see the pillar again.
*Ping*
And look, all those predators have moved off. I think I might be able to get that loot! :excited:
I ride over. I jump off. It is indeed my previous death with lots of goodies. Pick it all up quick! And now back onto Doggo. But there was too much loot! I'm over-encumbered and can't move at all! This is over-encumbered Morrowind-style. And I turn round to see a dangerous thing with a smug, evil face running towards me. I'm sure it must have known all along what was going to happen and I've fallen right into the trap like some kind of Numpty! :facepalm:
"Clever girl," says that Jurassic Park hunter again, his patronizing voice echoing inside my head of increasing regret.

Please, Doggo, come a bit closer so I can pass all this loot onto you. But no, he's JUST too far away and won't take another stupid step when I whistle.
I try to drop some stuff on the ground but I don't want to drop EVERYTHING cos then I'll have no weapons, but trying to drop individual things when you're burdened with lots of stuff is far too slow and the evil thing's getting ever closer.
Quick, Doggo. Into the whistle menu and "Attack My Target" by which I mean that thing over there!
And he does! He really does! :cheer:

Unfortunately lots of other things suddenly appear to join the fight and I have to stand there over-encumbered and unmoving as I watch Doggo get slowly killed by a gang of Dilophosaurs and more. :cry:

And then they come for me. :eyeroll:
I stand my ground because that's literally all I can do and bash them with my damn axe. And I killed them. I killed them all with such vengeance and fury! :evil:
But then the ants come. Flying beetly ants. Then marching ants. A long line forming an orderly queue to take their turn at me. And they keep on coming. Until death. :dead:

On the plus side I did tame another Parasaur, this time using the bolas...

I have called it Dirge, but I don't have a saddle any more.
And Doggo was carrying SOOOOO much stuff of mine.
I'll have to go back there. I just have to. :unsure:
Attachments:

23 Jun 2020 09:10 #29789 by Charlotte
I actually managed to kill one or two flying ants yesterday. I had this very frightening experience of realising I didn't know which way I was facing after emptying a loot crate. And I ran off in the wrong direction. I was running back and forth in that stupid too hot rain forest and just always ending up on the wrong beach, and I had been attacked my a dilophosaur or something as well, so I added hides to the loot and then the ants attacked. Just two of them and I was really low health at the end of the fight so I didn't really see what happened. I saw one text about killing an ant... so maybe the other escaped? Not that I think it would... :dry:

Anyway, I only found one body, and got some chitin out of that. I need it for the cementing paste that's needed for water reservoirs. Although, I then scrapped the whole water reservoir idea. I'm finally getting the hang of watering crop plots too but.... They all look very disorderly. Which bugs me of course... I wish I could see on the ground how large an area is actually irrigated by those water taps... (oh and my kitchen water tap IS still gushing water - just inside the walls so I won't see the water damage until it's too late! :ohmy:)

23 Jun 2020 12:34 #29792 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

I can't remember how to whistle.The only time I did was because Gandalf was stepping on the keyboard...

Hold T and you get a dial with a load of different whistling options.

23 Jun 2020 14:15 #29796 by Valence
Research time!
The wiki tells me that the diplodocus is a friendly, playful animal that will nuzzle creatures in a friendly way.
Wait. That was friendly nuzzling when it was charging me and knocking me around?! :blink:

Still grieving for Doggo. :(
And grieving for that saddle, all those beds and construction materials that he was carrying. :dry:

I'm now thinking that it might be good to have two Parasaurs with me. One for riding, fighting and pinging with the other following passively behind just to carry stuff. :hmm: