May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Gaming

19 Jun 2020 19:47 #29714 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
uhm, have you ever picked those "eggs" up? Or might they just be seashells? :D
I've seen neither monkeys nor eggs on my beaches anyhow.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2020 20:07 #29715 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I haven't picked them up but they're not seashells and they're definitely not those special brown eggs that I lay myself. :giggle:

19 Jun 2020 20:33 - 19 Jun 2020 21:47 #29716 by Charlotte
:dry: I really could do without those brown eggs... Except fertilizer is a good thing.

My dodo has a pen. But it still only lays brown eggs...

....and edit, just after posting that I got an egg! They spoil in just under 24 hours (22,5?) so I have SOME time to produce kibble. They seem to require lots of ingredients though... I think. And how you tame herbivores with kibbles based on eggs and meat is beyond me.

Then again it's kind of beyond me why games are made so complicated that you need a wikipedia to play them... It's not like all this stuff is easy to figure out by oneself...

Edit 2: I have now tried to make kibble, and.... nothing... There must be something I don't get about cooking (just like real life! :blink:)

20 Jun 2020 01:29 - 20 Jun 2020 01:30 #29717 by Valence
Sauropods! :excited:

I've been dying to see one of these! =D

Actually I've been dying anyway. :dry:
But not too much really. Just the once today and it was a gang of Dilophosaurs. They were disappointingly low level ones too but I was trying out the club. I thought it might work better than the crumbly spear even though it's non-lethal. You know, bash them all into unconsciousness and then gently stab their sleepy bodies in a non-breaky-spear way. But the plan didn't work and there were too many of them :shrug:

And you were right, without the hat anymore I have long hair now too.

After that little exploratory excursion to the west I thought I'd stay at the beach and try some cooking instead of just berry-munching. (Oh and as a little aside, I couldn't find a single egg to back up my previous claims. There were loads there the other day. Honest! Did see plenty of little monkeys though.) So, back to cooking. I had a look at the cooking pot engram and activated it but was somewhat shocked to see the amount of resources it took to craft and after getting sick of trying to find all the stones I then realised that I wouldn't actually need it for meat as I could just dump it on the campfire. :facepalm:

At least I'm now well-fed in a long-haired way.
Attachments:

20 Jun 2020 06:42 #29718 by Charlotte
Sauropods! :shakefist:
One of them was walking all over my house the other night. While it didn't actually damage the building it was annoying with all the noise and ground shaking. Also it seems it ate the pretty tree on the beach that made a nice view from my house (and a marker to easy find my way back, early on, before I started finding my way around all the rocks). Hopefully it'll spawn back in...

And I use the axe for dilophosaurs and compys. Gives me hides.

As for cooking, you can't cook meat on the cooker, you have to use the campfire! :blink: That is, I suppose you can make your own stew recipe and that sort of thing, but for basic grilled meat you need the campfire.

After a day where I dropped my own phone in the loo, the cat then wanted to snuggle covered in poo (I dunno how he did it, but he had poo on his BACK and happily laid down right under my nose, with it! :X) a sauropod destroying my tree and everything I planned for my little house not working out (due to stairs/walls/floors placement and me not being able to place things where I want them so I have to like rebuild the whole thing and also I painted it and I need to repaint it because it looks rather awful) I just feel like yesterday wasn't my day and maybe I should just start over again. But then there are the dodos. I have two and they are VERY much in love.

I don't get how to take screenshots in ARK....:dry: I've tried the usual screenshotty way but nothing seems to happen and if it does I have no idea where the images are saved... I also don't seem to know how to sleep anymore. Every other night I sleep around 4 hours and every other 10-12 hours. I guess on average I sleep a good number of hours but... I'm not entirely happy with this sleeping pattern... :S

20 Jun 2020 11:33 - 20 Jun 2020 11:37 #29719 by Valence
The big sauropods were the thing I was most looking forward to. I could see its tail on top of the hill from miles away and ended up travelling further than I intended just to see it close up. :)

Damn those dilos for spoiling it. I tend to just use the axe on the dead bodies to get the meat/hides after the breaky spear kill so I'll try it out during the next attack. I really thought the club would be better. :dunno:

As for screenies, I'm taking them through GFN. I don't know of an in-game option and the Epic Launcher doesn't do it either.
Your best option is to go into Windows settings, then click Gaming and turn on the XBox Gamebar. That has options to take screenshots and record gameplay videos but you'll probably need to change the keyboard preset. The default option on that is Windows Key+PrntScr and pressing the Windows Key while gaming is not a good idea. :nope:

PS. And gamebar screenshots are saved in your normal Videos/Captures folders.

20 Jun 2020 11:44 - 20 Jun 2020 11:48 #29720 by Charlotte
So that's why I have Xbox stuff on the computer but no Xbox.... :dumb:
and nothing else seem to save images to that folder automatically... :dry:

Anyway I have decided to start over, again. At least now I have to location of four of those dossier chests, so I should be able to level up quickly. Unless I ded.

Edit, seems my gamebar was active and now I know what keys I've accidentally accessed when I've accidentally opened it. Now to try the new shortcut key for screenies.

EDIT2: Yup yup, it worked. And saved to a Video folder I never paid any mind before (and which was otherwise empty anyway)

20 Jun 2020 13:46 #29721 by Valence
Four dossiers! :ohmy:

I haven't even found one yet. :dry:
Are they in the glowy supply drops or do you just find them in the landscape?
Don't tell me exactly where. I'm sure I'll get one eventually. :)

20 Jun 2020 13:56 - 20 Jun 2020 14:24 #29722 by Charlotte
They're in the landscape, so no shining lights, but if you see old ruins you might want to take a look around.

and that blasted sauropod killed my tree again! Maybe this new house I'm building is far enough away for it to regrow. Apparently there's a "re-fertilizer" you can use to regrow stuff too close to your structures for spawning.... But I'm thinking that's a very much higher level. I certainly have no clue how to make it yet. Not that I checked, come to think of it (when I was reading about it on the wiki)

(PS: I wonder how far along Banj's download is? :dry:)

EDIT: Waiting out the night is rather tedious... Later on one can craft and cook and stuff but early on it's just "you're cold, go home again"...

20 Jun 2020 18:16 - 20 Jun 2020 18:29 #29724 by Charlotte
Why do they call it "respawn at random location" when I keep respawning in the same bloody place and before reaching my home I have now been killed by piranhas, dinos and starvation? (You try finding something to eat in the dark when you can't even make a torch)

EDIT and piranhas again... :(
I was so close! Just had to get across that stupid water...