April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

20 Mar 2020 14:35 #28341 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
well, I am running out of space and I've yet to get anywhere with Witcher II so... I might get it at some point but not now...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Mar 2020 17:22 #28349 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Mable in the wood, currently free on GoG:
www.gog.com/game/mable_the_wood

20 Mar 2020 21:40 #28358 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
*tries to remember that GoG password again*

I'm sure I've written it down somewhere. :)

20 Mar 2020 23:15 - 20 Mar 2020 23:16 #28359 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
Free on Steam right now until Monday are Tomb Raider (2013), and Lara Croft: Temple of Osiris.

21 Mar 2020 22:06 #28367 by Valence
Time for Skyrim Saturday!
It is Saturday, isn't it? :dry:
Hard to tell at the moment.

Anywaaay, I went off on a longish quest (longer than I expected) to acquire somebody's stolen statue...

...off down through an icy cave to kill some Forsworn looters and then through a snowy vale to kill more of them. And I had to kill all of them by myself because I ended up telling Arissa to wait behind due to the fact that I'd spotted a nasty trap in a narrow corridor and even though her AI is better than normal NPCs I just knew she was gonna set it off. :eyeroll:

But that's OK, I know I'm good enough to battle their little army on my own and I even did a bit of archery too before charging in with the Big Bash. And at the end of the long assault I was rewarded with some nice loot including some heavy weaponry and an Elven Bow! :excited:
As usual, it was a bit too much to carry but that's OK too, I just turned round and asked Arissa to take some of it. Arissa?
Oh yeah, she was still waiting behind miles away. :pinch:
And unlike some other quests I couldn't find a quick exit at the end so it was a very long and slow over-encumbered walk back through the vale. And a continued slow walk through the cave. Aaand through the corridor. So slow that I set that trap off. :)

And after that stroll I had a good old fashioned Wild West-style shootout in Fallout...

Yee-Haw! And Ouch, that IS my blood on screen again.
Stop getting shot! :stare:
Attachments:

21 Mar 2020 22:22 #28369 by Charlotte
:D

so when is it Guild Wars G er... Gunday? Want any pointer for races and names and such? I hate it when people name their characters laowfksre or dhdhdhdhd - just so you know... :dry:

21 Mar 2020 22:40 - 21 Mar 2020 22:41 #28370 by Valence
I tried to launch that the other day and it asked me to login and come up with a name and I couldn't think of anything to type. :lol:
I guess that's why people are called dhdhurhguhb.
But it's a bit silly to ask for a player name long before you even get to the character creation. So I chickened out in favour of more YouTube research. I then watched someone play through a bit of the start and I had absolutely no idea what was happening on screen. :dumb:
It does seem a bit more group oriented than Black Desert, which will annoy me. :eyeroll: But I'll try to have a go and not chicken out one late night next week. :)

21 Mar 2020 22:57 #28371 by Charlotte
uhm, well that'd be your username... Your characters have their own names, you know... My username is Vanadis something (some numbers I can never remember) - it's the account and you see other people's user names if you group with them or if you chat in the forums. But if you solo play you'll only see the character names.

As for group oriented... doesn't have to be. When you play through the intro for a character (unique for each race) there might be other new characters around or just NPCs. Depends on your timing I guess :P Later on, they have random events that anyone can join in - and since some give good loot you'll find lots of players joining sometimes. The events are scaled according to the amount of players (more players = harder) but some of them are difficult to manage all alone. Then again they do repeat, so... you don't miss anything forever. Also, your level scales down if you go to low-level areas, so you never become "all powerful" either, which means that even if you've leveled up in one race's home areas, you can still enjoy the low level quests in he other "home areas".

Each character has their own story line, based on the choices you make during character creation, and that you can play perfectly fine all by yourself. There are loads of choices for each race, so basically each character can be unique. (Unless you make too many - I'm still able to make unique choices though, at 13 characters.)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

21 Mar 2020 23:14 #28372 by Charlotte
if that all, above, was too much to read, I suggest you save this post for a later time :P

But something about the races:
All races can be any of the professions. Each character can also have 2 crafting skills (though you can change if you want to).

Humans... well, not much special to say. You get to choose from being a noble, a commoner or an orphan. You can choose things like "always regretted not joining the circus". (It's the only one I remember right now - I do have all choices listed in an excel file though :p) I guess any human sounding name will work fine. Personally I've chosen to give them surnames based on where they're from, so "ya Korna" means from Korna which was an area in GW1, now inaccessible. Liv Phinney is names after Phinneys ridge, in the human starting area, and Karla Rooks is named for Rooks lane? uhm, something rooks - in the poor quarters of town (her being my orphan).

Norns - Look like humans but are bigger. Kind of viking inspired and like the cold. They have made an art of bragging. And drinking. They have guards called Wolfborn, and such. My character names are based on old Norse, so I have Embla Rimgalder and uhm... Well, I remember I noticed I'd named the youngest Alfrida - which I didn't recall doing.

Sylvari are plant based but names seem to be from celtic and gael, so that's what I've used for naming. Only "Tamzin" seems super common so I used some made up spelling of that.. And I think one of the names translates as strawberry syrup or something :P Ohhh I have one called Caipin ("Cap") who has a mushroom cap instead of er... leaves, on her head...

Charr are big cats with 4 ears and horns. They are kind of the games cyberpunk race, being atheist and mechanic-minded I guess. They tend to have names based on their forging and mining, like Brimstone (an NPC) or Cinders Ironclaw (my charr - she's Iron Legion so she got a surname that reflects that and well, names including teeth, claws, tails and such work well for them too)

And Asura are small creepy cute geniuses, probably planning to take over the world. They use a lot of bots and technology and are responsible for the network of waypoints you can use for swifter travel, when needed. They tend to have single, short names like Blipp or Rox. Apparently having a double letter in there is common. My first one was named Picca (after magpie, Pica Pica, and yes, she's a thief... though apparently magpies are not :p)

Just hoping this might help you some. I think in the free game you can have up to 3 characters. (But you can always delete and start over if you just wanna try all of the races or professions.) Also you probably can't do the revenant profession in the free game. (I have one but I haven't played her enough to quite get my head around the fighting skills available...)

If you like having pets, you should go for ranger btw. You get a start-out pet and then you can collect more when coming across "Juveline animal" in the wild.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

23 Mar 2020 21:02 #28410 by Valence
And just as we predicted, Witcher 3 is on sale again. :)
Glad I didn't make that early decision.

Sooo seven quid for another Geralt or eight for Hellblade. I have one week to decide. :hmm:

Oh and thanks for the GW2 info. You should write a manual for it!
You know you're getting old when you can remember when games actually came with little instruction books. :)

Meanwhile I've been struggling with the Police in Watch Dogs. I inadvertently took on a side quest involving a stolen car and subsequent chase and I just cannot escape them. :dunno:
Try again and try harder!