April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

18 Mar 2020 02:12 #28285 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Aww! Does doggy want a stroke under the chin? :)

Erm. Maybe not! :dry:

I guess I'm not a doggy person.
Sooo, where are the cats? :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2020 11:22 #28288 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
of course not! You have to wash your hands (or gloves) first! You've been throwing poo with those, haven't you!?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Mar 2020 11:35 #28289 by Charlotte
*grumbles*
When Heart of Thorns was released, you got the base game (GW2) for free. Unless you already bought it. Now, if you buy Path of Fire you get Heart of Thorns free - unless you already bought it - and the base game is free for everyone. It doesn't seem to pay to be a long term customer.... :dry: I haven't bought Path of Fire, but I did buy the game. And Heart of Thorns. And if I want Path of Fire I have to buy that too.

18 Mar 2020 15:43 #28290 by Valence

of course not! You have to wash your hands (or gloves) first! You've been throwing poo with those, haven't you!?

Funny you should say that because not long after the doggy encounter I did indeed have a good wash when I found a bathing area. Real life and gaming do converge sometimes. :lol:
And it is one of those games that often tries to be too realistic. You HAVE TO eat at various times (but not too much because that makes you slow and clumsy) and if you don't sleep enough you get visibly weary. Also, in an attempt to offer realistic consequences, they limit your ability to save, which is mildly annoying. I failed to steal a horse the other day and am now stuck with long walks and being over-encumbered. :(

I recently noticed that Guild Wars 2 is available on GeforceNow so I'm tempted to try it without the chore of a chunky download/installation. Then again, it is one of those jumping crowd games, isn't it? :dry:
But it is annoying when games suddenly become free. These days I deliberately hold off from buying some games just in case they appear on Epic next week.

And speaking of that, from tomorrow they're offering Watch Dogs (almost bought that once) AND The Stanley Parable!

18 Mar 2020 16:05 - 18 Mar 2020 16:05 #28291 by Charlotte
I can't recall buying Path of Fire but it seems to be available to me anyway... :dumb:
or maybe it's one of those "replay some bits here and there things" they've added recently. I haven't played so long I could hardly find my character's way out of the cave she's been in for like the past two years or so... And her backpack was full of pressies! Not sure why :P Something about a 2 year anniversary (but the game is older). Anyway, as usual when one hasn't played for a while everything seems to have changed and I'm not familiar with the controls anymore (having gotten somewhat used to WASD lately) so I was definitely one of the mindless jumping abouters, today...

Not sure if it'll draw a crowd if available on GeforceNow, but you can always take a look. Playing with the character creation tool is always fun at any rate!

Considering I'm running out of room om my computer, what does this GeforceNow actually entail anyway? Howsitwork?

18 Mar 2020 16:43 #28292 by Charlotte
Hmm I wonder how many times I can die before I grow bored with dying? I've lost count but I think this was it... Might have to redo this quest later *sigh*

18 Mar 2020 19:07 - 18 Mar 2020 19:07 #28293 by Valence

what does this GeforceNow actually entail anyway? Howsitwork?

'Tis one of those cloud gaming things. Instead of playing the game on your PC, you're actually playing it on their remote servers and streaming the audio and video back to your own device (PC, phone, shield TV thingy, etc.) via their client/launcher.
This is good for me cos their servers have much better specs than my own PC with its measly 5-year-old IntelHD chips and I can therefore play stuff like Kingdom Come, Assassins Creed: Syndicate and that Black Desert thing, all of which are waaay beyond what I could normally run. Plus, because the games are never installed locally, it doesn't eat up your hard drive.

The downside is that you do need decent, stable Internet, from my experience at least 20mb/s, maybe 30-40 if you want even better quality. And another downside is that they don't really have enough supported games and the greedy publishers, eager for an extra bit of cash, keep pulling their games from the service.

18 Mar 2020 19:49 #28295 by Charlotte
I looked into it earlier since you left before you could reply :P
Figure I MIGHT look into it after my move. And 5 year old intelHD chips huh? Is the rest older? You've sounded like it's old, but I think mine's... 8 years... Unless it's the second I've bought since Juni was born. Hmm... I think it's the second, actually. I wonder how old it is :dumb:

18 Mar 2020 20:09 - 18 Mar 2020 20:10 #28296 by Valence
Up until about 18 months ago I was still using that 20 year old Windows XP machine! :P

Since then I "up"graded to one of those second-hand, refurbished office PCs that are all over Amazon. Unfortunately the flimsy, un-upgradable power supplies make it hard to get a graphics card without risking explosions. :lol:
I think there is one low-profile model that I could get but it would definitely push the PSU to unhealthy limits so I'm not really considering it. :nope:

But even without a graphics card it runs ArtRage at decent resolutions and most games from 5+ years ago can function at lower settings so it'll do.

Any games after that and I have to look elsewhere, hence my interest in cloud thingamies.
Oh, and one other downside of GeforceNow, I think they've now sold out of the paid membership tier so you'll be stuck with the free service (which I use.) At normal times you usually have to wait in a queue behind paying customers but after midnight you can get on straight away.

18 Mar 2020 20:11 #28298 by Charlotte
I noticed. But playing 1 hour at a time? Pffft. Gimme a whole day! :P