April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

27 Aug 2019 19:13 #25804 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I have now tried No Man's sky. It took about 5 minutes for me to freeze to death, having accomplished absolutely nothing...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Aug 2019 19:39 #25805 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
First death is the best death! :lol:

I often accomplish nothing while staying alive. ;)

27 Aug 2019 20:23 #25806 by Charlotte
now twice.
And it's VR.... I do hope I HAVE a non-VR version.... :dry:

27 Aug 2019 21:36 #25808 by Valence
VR?

Move your head around and see if you get motion sickness. :lol:

27 Aug 2019 21:46 #25809 by Charlotte
Nah, but all distant objects have colourful edges (the stars are three colored dots each)

I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it's not exactly intuitive. I had to google how to save the game before I could quit and go to bed! :nope:

27 Aug 2019 22:28 - 27 Aug 2019 22:31 #25810 by Valence
Ah, is that the "lovely" chromatic aberration gimmick? :)

I think there's a mod to get rid of that (and the scanlines too!)

28 Aug 2019 09:14 #25811 by Charlotte
Alas, it didn't work on the Beyond version (V2 I think, the mod is for 1.5)
I looked at several pages of newer mods but didn't see anyone else that did the same :(

28 Aug 2019 09:29 #25812 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

I have now tried No Man's sky. It took about 5 minutes for me to freeze to death, having accomplished absolutely nothing...

After completing Subnautica the first time I immediately started a new game on hardcore mode. The cut scene finished, I dived into the water and went on a mission to catch fish for food and water. I drowned straight away because i had become so used to having large air tanks that I completely forgot about resurfacing :facepalm:

So my first hardcore playthrough lasted about a minute. I did find it pretty funny at the time though.

28 Aug 2019 09:49 #25813 by Charlotte
:D
well if I'm to be honest my first death took 4 minutes (or so the save game said). Second one took 8 minutes.

And I found a mod that removes scanlines and vignette, but apparently that option is already in the game settings so I don't see the point of that. Chromatic aberration remains :( But "Beyond" is new, maybe someone will make a mod soon... (Seems all modders are only active for a short time - many of the files I've downloaded have been made by people who were active for about a month, a year or so ago...?)

30 Aug 2019 11:57 #25818 by Valence
"New" "Special" "Editions" should be banned. :lol:
I get very annoyed when I find a great mod and then discover that it's for the special edition or requires all the DLC.

I've been enjoying Fez... until the bomb puzzles. They've been a bit awkward. And I've only now discovered how to open treasure chests. You have to rotate the world until they're facing the "right" way. So now I have to go back and find all the ones I couldn't open. Wish the map was less confusing. :dry:

And the Epic Launcher reminded me that Inside is now available! :cheer:

Meanwhile in Skyrim... I've killed a spriggan!
I took on a couple of quests that sent me to the Moss Mother Cavern and with a name like that I just knew there'd be some tree-creatures in there. So I took some people with me! One of the quests had the option of getting help from the man I saved and I also asked Arissa to come along too (she's a mod follower I downloaded. She's a bit more talkative and interesting than the ones in the default game.)
I've also learned that the best way to kill spriggans is not with arrows or axes but with fire so I got all my magic flames out and started burning! :evil:
Sure enough there were spriggans down there and as usual there was initially only one and then suddenly several more "appeared" but the three of us (with my fire!) prevailed without the need for previous saves. :)