March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Gaming

31 Aug 2019 22:27 - 31 Aug 2019 22:29 #25850 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I gave up on my dragon (never mind the rider!) some time this afternoon and decided to play No Man's Sky instead. I still prefer Subnautica though. I don't think the people behind No man's Sky understand evolution, biology OR aestethics.... Also I can't fly to save my life :dry:

Anyway, I thought for a long while that I was stuck on my planet because it was a relatively nice one (if you disregard the boiling hot rains) which meant there was no uranium to be found. And you need either uranium or rocket fuel to get your space ship off the ground. I figured rocket fuel was something I'd have to buy when visiting the space station (second time, using a teleporter that's supposed to be "instantaneous" but seem to take several minutes) but nobody was selling that OR uranium. So I went back to my little cottage, resigned to building wooden walls... I had looked up rocket fuel on a wiki and it said you needed a "Refiner" to make it. Which is two steps above the "portable refiner" I already have. But all of a sudden I noticed that I could draft it right in my ship inventory from items I already had. True facepalm moment.

Then I went off world (and back to the first planet I found myself on) to investigate a signal. I found a huge spacecraft (freighter) crashed into a big base. And two cashes of "units" and "nanites" respectively. Seemed very little for such a huge wreck. I'm sure I missed something. I'm also sure I'll never find my way back there as I haven't bothered learning how to make beacons to mark places of interest...

And it's definitely past bedtime and Gandalf is getting restless. (We should be sleeping by now! He wants us to be in bed by 11...)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Sep 2019 20:19 #25867 by Charlotte
There are a LOT of things I don't particularly like in No Man's Sky, but I am impressed by the ability to bore through the ground almost as if it was solid (even if I see a lot of "edges" that don't quite meet up). And today I realised you can EXCAVATE RUINS!!! :woohoo:

Unless the ruins are extremely old and yet made of very durable material I'm not sure how they can be buried in rock rather than sediment, though. But like I've mentioned before, science doesn't seem to be this game's creators strong suit... :dry:

Attachments:

02 Sep 2019 20:32 #25869 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
Digging! :lol:
Mostly holes. And then I buries them again.

Ah, brings back memories. :)

02 Sep 2019 20:50 #25870 by Charlotte
:D
Indeed it does!
Though excavations are somewhat more explosive in this game... Not sure why the structures aren't turned into dust along with the rock....

02 Sep 2019 21:18 #25871 by Valence
You're obviously very precise with your big explosions. ;)

03 Sep 2019 20:18 #25872 by Valence
Made a bit of progress in Fez after being stuck for a day or two.
I now have eight cubes! :cheer:
And one anti-cube! :dunno:

I've also found some other things but I don't know what they are or what they're for. And the little talking thing doesn't know either. :eyeroll:
I do wish it was a bit more polished. Sometimes you play an indie game and can't believe it when someone tells you that it was made by just a couple of people. Fez... isn't like that. ;)

03 Sep 2019 23:27 #25873 by Charlotte

I now have eight cubes! :cheer:
And one anti-cube! :dunno:

I've also found some other things but I don't know what they are or what they're for. And the little talking thing doesn't know either.

I'm guessing.... SPHERES! :woohoo:

I'm a little too obsessed with No Man's Sky in spite of it's short comings. I had to hire a techie overseer Gek and he keeps talking about what changes I should do to my base. My pretty little "cottage" :( But I've found a wonderful planet (last one I visit in that system, doesn't it just figure?) where I've decided to move my main base of operations. I think it's the first place I've seen with green grass... :dry: (granted the toxic planets look green but I think it's mostly the fumes...)

Attachments:

04 Sep 2019 00:37 - 04 Sep 2019 01:57 #25874 by Valence
Yep, that looks like a nice place to move to! Lovely grass too. :)

I still haven't decided on which Skyrim mod home I want to download. I found a lovely one that was a windmill. I like the idea of living in a windmill, I could pretend to be Jonathan Creek! :lol:
Annoyingly it's near Ivarstead, which is further round the mountain than I would like. I haven't actually been there yet so I don't know what that place is like but the next "story" quest starts there. And I'm not doing that yet. :nope:
I'm terrible at making decisions. At this rate I'll just end up buying the default house in the vanilla game. :shrug:

EDIT:
And despite trying to go two days without playing it I failed and ended up trying to do a quest that involved a very long walk, much longer than I anticipated! And on the way I even saw the headless horseman ghost again...

...but just after that I got killed by two Ice Wraiths (they're SO hard to see!) And I wasn't saving as often as I should so I've STILL got a lot of that long walk to do again. :(
Memo To Self: Save more often when going to those icy places.
Attachments:

04 Sep 2019 10:07 #25875 by Charlotte
how do you find the mods? I searched Skyrim for "home" to see what you had to choose between and got 57 PAGES of stuff...

04 Sep 2019 11:39 #25876 by Valence
Yep, that's pretty much my way of searching too. :lol:
You can waste decades going through page after page after page. I forget how deep I had to search to get to the windmill.
There are also plenty of YouTube channels that review mods and I've watched enough that they recommend quite a few that catch my eye.