May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

The Trailer Park

17 Oct 2021 23:36 #37324 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic The Trailer Park
I haven't watched Star Trek in ages, but after a few false starts and an episode I had apparently skipped I got back to it today.... TNG season 5, episode....12 maybe? And I'll just repost the same rant I posted on Aywas:

Star Trek does have a way making part of the show interesting and part kind of stupid. I just watched one where they had to protect an unknown human colony of genetically engineered people from a "star fragment". Never mind the idea that you save one planet by changing the trajectory of the piece but never adress where it's going after the change - what if it endangers entire planets now, instead of one small colony? But mainly... Each individual is apparently vital for the colony's survival and when a group of them wants to leave, it might "be the end of them". First off, it's 23 people from thousands. In those thousands there's no one who can fill the functions or supply the dna their community needs? And second, they're all genetically engineered, meaning they must have advanced technology not just to diagnose issues (resulting in abortion) but also to change the dna of the embryos to be what they want it to be. So all they should need from the colonists that leave, would be blood (or cell) samples.

And seriously, the incredibly intelligent top scientist is berating herself for not having made the same technological discoveries, alone and without anyone to discuss with and learn from, that the entire human race did in conjunction with several alien races.... *sigh* I mean, wasn't she supposed to be smart?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Oct 2021 11:24 #37325 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic The Trailer Park
But they were saved by Geordi's VISOR! Technology that would never exist in their society. :stare:

In my own Star Trek binge I've got to the Tholian Web in the old series, which is one of my favourites so I'm saving it for when I'm not too tired :P, and in Enterprise not-Data is causing trouble with those genetically enhanced augments. :)

18 Oct 2021 11:30 #37326 by Charlotte
I wish I could remember episodes as well as you - but then I guess I'd have to be a trekkie... both Tholian and augments do ring a very faint bell but I really have no idea what you're talking about. Or even who Not-Data would be... :dumb: (And something tells me I should get that one... hmm his "evil twin"?)

18 Oct 2021 11:55 - 18 Oct 2021 11:59 #37327 by Valence
The actor who played Data in TNG also played the scientist Noonian Soong who created Data, and in the prequel Enterprise he played one of his ancestors, Arik Soong, who created lots of genetically enhanced angry people. :confident:

EDIT: And the Tholians and their web do appear in Enterprise too in those silly mirror universe episodes that I haven't got to yet.

18 Oct 2021 13:42 #37328 by Charlotte
Oooh right. Uhm I think I never realised the two Soongs were two, and related... I just thought he managed to somehow live very long. Or I forgot that he played his own ancestor... :dumb:

18 Oct 2021 14:15 #37329 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park
Trek should have had a musical episode about genetic engineering, it would have been a good old Singh Soong 

18 Oct 2021 14:44 #37330 by Charlotte
:facepalm:

18 Oct 2021 14:56 #37331 by Valence
I KHAAAAAN'T believe you said that. :argh:

18 Oct 2021 14:58 #37332 by Charlotte
:dry:

Meanwhile, I dislike Riker just a wee bit more than usual...

18 Oct 2021 15:14 #37335 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic The Trailer Park
He is fairly unlikable, just like the rest of the crew