April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

13 Mar 2022 16:12 #40049 by Charlotte
All these multiverses.... I think I prefer those fantasy worlds to be separate. I've never cared much for "alternate history" stories, though I haven't read that many either so I can't say they're bad... I just don't really care to "learn" a false history, I guess... It's hard enough to learn the real thing :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2022 17:05 #40052 by Valence
I like it when it's established from the start, quite a lot of Steampunk stories are like that mixing real histories with fantasy elements, but when the real world suddenly appears in book five or six then it's a little jarring and awkward. :)

27 Jan 2023 07:11 #44151 by Charlotte
On Monday I decided to use up the Christmas money we got from work (we all got a gift certificate for shopping in this particular city) so I went and bought three books. They added up to 497 SEK, the gift certificate was for 500 and the bag was 3 SEK. :woohoo:

Anyway, I bought one of those "historic drama" things which are based on real life events, but embellished, one I can't even remember and the first of the Witcher books. Reading the Witcher one on the train now, so it's kind of slow going, I'm only on page 30 or so. But it's fun. I like how everyone bickers and argues and stuff. When I see bickering on TV it usually just annoys me, but this amuses me.
"The ballad warns us we must avoid another war"
"No, it shows us we must fight for our lands!"
"Yes, we must all join together and..."
"No! We should not let one group lead the others, we must remain independent!"
"It's punishment for our sins"
"Shut up, you dimwit, that doesn't make sense at all!"
and so on :)

27 Jan 2023 11:09 #44153 by Valence
Is that the one with all the short stories or the first "novel"?

I've slowly been working through the Stormlight Archive books. I enjoyed the first two but the third one has been a bit tedious. I like the way he writes characters but the action sequences feel too much like descriptions of video games, a bit like my posts in the gaming thread. :lol:
Also they are far too long. That third one could easily have been half the size without losing any of the story :dry:
So with that one finished I'm having a break from 1300 page fantasy books and I've started on a science book about black holes. :)

27 Jan 2023 11:32 - 27 Jan 2023 11:34 #44154 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read
 Weird, I was thinking about this thread when I woke up this morning because I was going to mention getting these for Christmas 

I still haven't taken the Galaxy's Edge book out of it's shrink wrap yet, but the other one is full of pretty pictures. 

EDIT - It's slightly annoying that they elected to slap a sticker on the cover of the other one to tell you it's season two 
Attachments:

27 Jan 2023 11:58 #44157 by Charlotte
I hear you Banj, there's a "sticker" on my Witcher book stating "Now on Netflix". That'll never look dated :dry:

As for the book and Val's question, I think it's a novel :dumb:
Blood of (the?) Elves

It kind of starts in the middle (or maybe after) everything on TV. But it has a "1" on it, and the others on the shelf had 2, 3, 4 and 5... then there were a couple without numbers. It seemed like a good idea to begin with that book...

27 Jan 2023 13:01 - 27 Jan 2023 13:17 #44161 by Valence
Yep, that's the first novel. Before that there are two books of short stories (The Last Wish and Sword Of Destiny) that made up most of Season One of the TV show so there isn't anything you've missed. :)
(EDIT: Much as I like when autocorrect fixes my typos, I am slightly less impressed when the predictive text changes several words leading to a triple negative sentence that even I can't decypher. :shakefist:
Hopefully it makes sense now? :dumb:)

One of the nice things about those Star Wars shows is the way they showcase the concept art over the credits and yes, they are very pretty pictures. :aha:

27 Jan 2023 13:24 #44162 by Banj
The pretty pictures are also accompanied by lots of words 

27 Jan 2023 14:02 #44164 by Charlotte
Words are nice :aha:

:dumb:

03 Feb 2023 12:20 #44250 by Banj
 Delivery 

Absolute Batman The Killing Joke The 30th Anniversary Edition to give it it's full catchy title     it's full of stuff and things like both different coloured versions and the original script

Ha... Ha Ha... HA HAHA... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 
Attachments: