April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

21 Sep 2021 17:26 #36744 by Valence
It doesn't matter who is playing, the second game always makes the first irrelevant. There is no reason for anyone to play the throw-the-ball-into-the-goal game because at any point, whatever the score, the game can be won or lost elsewhere when someone else catches the magic flying thing. It would be like you playing Subnautica and doing rather well then abruptly being told that you're dead and the game is over just because somewhere else I happened to win a round of Gwent in a completely different game. Quidditch is fundamentally unfair and unbalanced and as such, makes no sense as a sport. :confident:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Sep 2021 17:42 #36745 by Valence
...but there is one good thing about Quidditch, in the movies anyway. Due to the way that the films are paced and structured it does offer a fantastic opportunity to go to the toilet without missing much. :)

21 Sep 2021 18:07 #36746 by Charlotte
:dry:
Well, I do see your point. I wanted to think that if a game went on for days, catching the snitch wouldn't be a sure win, but.... it's not just a truck load of points, is it? It really does win the game. But... Maybe that first game is all about keeping the crowd entertained while the seekers are looking for the snitch?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Sep 2021 18:22 #36747 by Valence
I've just checked and it is a truck load of points, a whopping 150, but as it also said on the site I was directed to, catching the snitch almost always wins. :shrug:
Also when I searched Quidditch Rules one of google's autocomplete suggestions was "Quidditch Rules... are stupid." :lol:

21 Sep 2021 19:13 #36748 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read
Muggles trying to understand Quidditch 

21 Sep 2021 19:16 #36749 by Charlotte
:excited: Look! I remembered something correctly! And then you went and made me think I was wrong :stare:

Pfft Banj, just because you're a hamster and not a muggle :eyeroll:

21 Sep 2021 21:42 #36751 by Valence
The truck load of points and remembering the amount doesn't change the inherent unfairness of the game. :stare:
Now if there were no points awarded and the game just ended with the catchy magic flying thing then that would almost work as it would introduce an extra tactical element if Harry found the magic flying thing, saw his team were losing and then, rather than catch it, he would have to defend it in order to prolong the game. But at the moment, unless the rest of your team are pathetic, it's still pretty much magic-flying-thing=guaranteed-win and the story gets have Harry ending the game AND winning the game to do all the hero things that heroes do. :)

13 Mar 2022 15:18 #40045 by Valence
I have now started book one of The Stormlight Archive. :stare:
Oh, look. It's another 1000 page thing with lots of maps and made-up words. :eyeroll:

And yet... unlike some of the previous fantasy epics I've attempted recently, I'm enjoying this one a bit more. At least this one seems to have some interest in characters and story rather than just obsessing over vague "worldbuilding".

13 Mar 2022 15:30 #40046 by Charlotte
I did that thing recently, where you go to a shop with stuff (books) on sale and buy something not at all on sale... So I bought a book by an author I never heard of before (Erin something) to read on the train. Though this weekend I've been reading at home, too. It's a little difficult to "place" in a genre... It definitely takes place on earth, because they mention the story of Hansel and Gretel. Time wise I think it might be the Wild West era, or so... They do have fire arms and talk of settling the land, but it's also not entirely modern (no phones or TVs mentioned so far). And there's definitely something supernatural and eerie about it. It's written in first person which I usually hate, but somehow it's not bothering me this time. It even took several chapters before I thought to notice :dumb:

Anyway I rather like it so far. It's about a young girl living in a small settlement/town isolated from other settlements, where weird things start to happen, and "monsters" are seen in the forest... Animals mutate weirdly, strange people are seen at night etc... It's kind of creepy.

Oh and it's called "Small Favours"

13 Mar 2022 15:57 - 13 Mar 2022 15:58 #40048 by Valence
It does feel a bit strange when fantasy books introduce real world stories and places. Before this I'd been continuing with all those Witcher books and at one point Ciri starts visiting "our" world and also encounters people from Arthurian legend and I wasn't quite sure if I liked that idea or not. :S