April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Last book you bought - or read

24 Feb 2021 22:09 #33822 by Valence
Yeah, I know how that feels too. I don't read anywhere near as many things as I used to. In days gone by I'd often read three books a week but now I'm lucky if I get through one a month. :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2021 23:32 #33825 by Charlotte
I don't think I ever read that much... :blink:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

14 May 2021 14:31 #34872 by Valence
I am now reading the first of The Witcher books which is called The Last Wish. :stare:
And so far it's reasonable enough in a short story way. Hope it doesn't spoil too much of the games for me. :dumb:

20 Sep 2021 14:15 #36692 by Valence
After finally finishing my reread of Memory, Sorrow And Thorn I am sticking with Tad Williams books to read his Otherland series. I think I may have read the first one many years ago but it was so long that I no longer recall any details of the plot so it's like reading a new book. :P
The technology and slang do seem a little dated now but it's still interesting enough so far.

Also I only recently foud out that he's in the middle of a new trilogy that follows on from Memory, Sorrow And Thorn so I may end up returning to the land of Osten Ard again sometime. :)

20 Sep 2021 15:17 #36693 by Charlotte
Oh, really? I can't recall much more from Memory, Sorrow & Thorn than actually having read them. (And, I think, having some of the books in Swedish and some in English....and possibly now having them in the basement...)

So Otherland is more sci-fi ish?

20 Sep 2021 16:21 #36694 by Valence
Otherland is a 1990s idea of what the "future" world of VR will be like. :confident:

After that original trilogy of Osten Ard there is a short novel called The Heart Of What Was Lost (which I did read) and the new series starts with The Witchwood Crown.
I'm not sure how far ahead they are in time but I did like those older books with Simon Snowlock and Miriamele. :)

20 Sep 2021 17:10 #36695 by Charlotte
Trilogy? I remember it as.... 10 books or something... Though I also think Swedish publishers have (or had) a tendency to divide large books into smaller ones to make them "less overwhelming" for the readers. :shakefist: What fantasy fan doesn't want to be overwhelmed??? Anyway, I think that explains why I remember having several slim books and then one big one which partially contained the last slim one, but in English.

20 Sep 2021 17:23 #36696 by Valence
The last book in that trilogy, To Green Angel Tower, was massive and the paperback version was split into two volumes, Siege and Storm. :confident:

Novels in fantasy series do tend to get bigger and bigger as they go on, mainly because the writer becomes more and more famous and the editors then no longer have the power to tell them to cut down on the bloated self-indulgence. :lol:

20 Sep 2021 17:26 #36697 by Charlotte
Yeah I have one or both of the last part... and is that what happened to the Harry Potter books? Or did Rowling just get more and more ideas.... I always think it's a little sad that the first books were so much slimmer. They're also more light hearted and I rather enjoyed all the fun with words and names and such...

21 Sep 2021 12:58 #36716 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Last book you bought - or read
Harry Potter started out as one thing and ended up as something else (despite the detailed plan that supposedly existed). The Philosopher's Stone was very much a quirky Roald Dahl imitation that changes style into a more traditional fantasy adventure story toward the end. The pacing of the books is a bit all over the place, with several huge volumes cramming as much as possible into them and others where not much of any importance actually happens.