May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

27 Mar 2015 20:47 - 27 Mar 2015 20:48 #9851 by jessie
I've questioned my color choices and brightness after reading about Hobby's issue. I don't see any difference between my devices but it's a good lesson to remember and a good habit to start checking that.

Valence: I agree. There is something about the simplicity about the first one. Although the nebula one is incredible too. AND the tutorial links - I could never imagine creating that much depth in an image. I should definitely work on that.

Hopefully I don't screw up and post too late...I still need to figure out the time difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Mar 2015 23:41 - 27 Mar 2015 23:41 #9855 by microscopi
Hobbyhorse that last wip definitely is the best one, lighting looks perfect now, not too dark or bright on all my screens at home, but sadly I can't check at work because they took away my internet :ohmy: I like the darker background also, it helps to make him stand out more, looking so good :woohoo:

Valence, the suit also looks great, really nice texture :woohoo: I think you can have a more simplistic background if you brighten spock a bit, he will blend into the nebula a bit more and won't compete with the foreground spock as much, just what immediately stood out to me when I looked at it.

28 Mar 2015 03:43 #9859 by hobbyhorse
Thanks guys I'm pretty happy how he turned out.
As far as monitor calibration goes I have a spyder color calibrater, because I had a problem with printing and the hard copy wasn't looking like the screen. Since I haven't been doing any digital recently...at least not that I want to print, I have been ignoring the prompt to check the color again. Maybe I should just do it.

valence- thanks for the links for painting nebulas and your's is looking fantastic..I just don't know which version I like the best. The portrait itself can stand alone but then having the tie in with his most iconic character brings a story to the image. :?

Domtopia- Thank you, I jumped into the color maybe sooner than I should but then I had a photo to work from that in most cases in fantasy art you don't have.

jessie- Your piece looked well balanced to begin with so your monitor is probably close to correct, but checking on more than one is probably a good idea.

microscopi-I'm glad that it looks good on your home screens, to bad about work :S someone abusing the privilege? Not you of course ;)

30 Mar 2015 14:58 #9872 by hobbyhorse
Is there a different way to make links from the wips thread to the final? I've read and reread the directions and I get nothing when I right-click the number in the right corner of the wip I want to link to. Either my computer or the operator is to Stupid to make it work, I suspect it is the operator.
So good luck to you all.

30 Mar 2015 15:33 #9873 by Charlotte
If you don't get a menu from right-clicking, allowing yout o copy the address, does the number still act like a link? If so you could click the number/link and then copy the address from the browser's url field.

Or you could just beg kazky to pretty please have mercy :P

I've on sick leave this week ;)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

30 Mar 2015 16:06 - 30 Mar 2015 16:08 #9874 by jessie
I'm not sure why the right clicking the number isn't working for you. What does it do when you left click? Does it snap to that post? When you right click you should get a drop down menu.

Exactly what Charlotte said...^^

30 Mar 2015 17:03 - 30 Mar 2015 17:12 #9875 by Banj

Is there a different way to make links from the wips thread to the final? I've read and reread the directions and I get nothing when I right-click the number in the right corner of the wip I want to link to. Either my computer or the operator is to Stupid to make it work, I suspect it is the operator.
So good luck to you all.

I can sort your links out for you in a minute (unless Kaz gets there first).

There are a couple of other ways you could do it but they all require you to copy and paste the URL. You can LEFT click the number (assuming it is still displaying as a link in your browser) and that will focus the browser on the post and will make it the active URL in your browser, you can then copy and paste the full URL from the top of your browser window into the post (you can just highlight it and use the keyboard shortcuts to copy it then without needing right click).

Another option (not really very convenient or straight forward) would be to find the posts in your profile under the forum tab and right click those to copy and paste, but if you don't get right click options when you click the post number I don't see it will work there either.

30 Mar 2015 20:23 #9880 by hobbyhorse
When I right-click the number I don't get a drop down box like I expect. The number underscores and the image kind of resets. So i tried the copy paste the http address and though it copied the whole address into the post it wasn't a link just a long line of text that would show in the post but didn't do anything.
I also tried the trick that I had to do in the old forum which was to copy the address and then add the URL and /URL in brackets, which also showed up in the post but wasn't a link at least it did nothing when I clicked on it. I know I'm at fault, something I failed to do, or set, or something, I'm just not savvy enough to know what else to try.
Thanks guys for the tips. Maybe another time.
Charlotte, sorry to hear your not feeling well, get well soon.

30 Mar 2015 22:13 #9882 by jessie
Don't feel bad hobbyhorse. I'm having some technical difficulties too. I attached the wrong finished file and tried to correct it. But I kept getting a "no attachment found" even though it was and I thought to myself, "refresh the page, genius" (after trying a to resubmit a million times) and vuala! It worked.

30 Mar 2015 22:37 #9883 by kazky
Looks like banj has sorted it hobby, or you have, so it's all good :) it's annoying when you have issues like that which you can't seem to resolve.