April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

04 Mar 2015 20:31 #9350 by Charlotte
Good to see someone start this off :) But if it ends up pear-shaped I definately think you should try again because I can't remember ever considering Nimoy OR Spock "pear shaped" :P

I think you have a good likeness but Nimoy does have (or did, I guess) a rather long face and your portrait so far is more "normally proportioned".

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Mar 2015 21:58 #9353 by Valence
Yep, I've spotted a few errors already. The lower left side of the face is a bit skewed and the chin is a bit too prominent. Also the left shoulder is a bit too wide.
I think that when I put in some colour, and especially some dark shadows, then the errors in form will be easier to both see and then fix.

04 Mar 2015 22:04 #9355 by Domtopia
So, are you going for a straight--forward portrait, or will it have a theme of some sort?

Like I said, I kind of like the hobbity, more fantasy feel to the image as it stands. Then again, it may feel more appropriate to paint in a more sci-fi vibe...

Just throwing some ideas out there!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

05 Mar 2015 00:16 - 05 Mar 2015 00:18 #9359 by microscopi
Nice start Valence, I was thinking if I joined in this would do a pic of spock from the Voyage Home. ( I might skip this month to finally have a finished thread tho :woohoo: ) I love the look Spock has with a bandana on, was going to get creative and make him really punk rockin. One of my favorite moments involving Spock was this one when he makes the guy shut off the music, also included a painting of spock and kirk to give some ideas.

Attachments:

05 Mar 2015 01:05 #9360 by Valence
Dom: Thankfully The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins was a bit before my time so I'm happy to veer away from that. :)
I want the actual portrait to be a straight forward one and to stay close to the ref (in a painterly way) because I think it's a lovely photo that has a kind of sadness to the eyes. There's always something powerful about the gaze of an older person and I'd like to capture and keep that if I'm able.
The theme will come in to the background and I have an idea about something that will involve a space scene while also referencing Spock in a way that I hope will be poignant. However that'll be the last thing I do so I'm not worrying about it just yet. Plus I want to keep my options open if it all turns out to be beyond my skill level.

05 Mar 2015 09:23 #9365 by Banj

One of my favorite moments involving Spock was this one when he makes the guy shut off the music

Geeky (or is it nerdy?... Maybe dweeby...) factoid, the punk getting nerve pinched in that scene is associate producer of the film, Kirk Thatcher, also known for writing and directing a load of Muppet films among other things. :cool: :confident:

06 Mar 2015 01:10 #9388 by microscopi
Technically I think that classifies as nerdy, but it's both bizzare and cool to know. :woohoo:

10 Mar 2015 06:44 #9478 by CherryGraphics
Because I just saw it now at the moment: the link which should link to this WIPthread links to the finals... ? ^^

Valence this is a good start! I agree with Charlotte that his face could be a bit longer.... but anyway I know you'll correct this little mistake at the end :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

10 Mar 2015 09:53 #9480 by Banj

Because I just saw it now at the moment: the link which should link to this WIPthread links to the finals... ? ^^

I intentionally linked it to the finals thread because I have always perceived that as being THE challenge thread as it is where the entries go, where the voting takes place, and where the winner is announced. The WIP thread has always been an offshoot of that. It probably stems from the fact that the original IFX challenges that these are a spiritual cousin of began without compulsory WIPs, and all the challenge details were posted in the finals thread.

Others obviously see it differently (you aren't the first to mention the link goes to the WIP thread), so I guess it will probably direct people to the WIP thread in future. Details and links to other threads are in the opening post of the finals thread anyway so people can find their way here pretty easily. :)

10 Mar 2015 10:15 #9481 by kazky
told ya, nyah nyah nyah :D