May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

18 Mar 2015 13:44 - 18 Mar 2015 13:45 #9655 by jessie
Thanks love. I'm happy to offer something different.....lol. :side:

I use Coreldraw X5. It's funny....I use 3 vector based programs on a regular bases and believe it or not Adobe Illustrator isn't one of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Mar 2015 19:12 #9674 by Valence
Jessie: I prefer the newer, simpler version of your pic. It does everything that you wanted, all the necessary elements are still there but now it delivers and communicates in a really concise and efficient way. You've somehow managed to do more by doing less and it works very well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jessie

19 Mar 2015 13:42 #9690 by jessie
Thank you Valence. I am happier with the new version myself.

20 Mar 2015 21:02 #9730 by Valence
Quick update on my nebula Nimoy pic. I think this version is pretty close to being finished apart from some subtle little tweaks. However I am still playing with the other, plain-background version and after a rest over the weekend I think on Monday I'll switch that version back to Artrage to see what I can do there (in Photoshop my plain backgrounds either look too textured and fake or too smooth and fake.)
I suspect that the simple version is probably the better picture but I really like the nebula one purely because of the fun I had learning how to do it and that enjoyment may cloud my judgement. So I suspect I'll go with that one but I'll see how they all look next week.

Attachments:

20 Mar 2015 22:34 - 20 Mar 2015 22:36 #9731 by microscopi
Some great ideas happening this challenge. wow

Cherry I really prefer the color choices of the red and gold a lot. I think it's looking really different from your usual stuff but really interesting and cool also ! Not sure what additions you're going to make but look forward to seeing it done.

Jessie, the vector style of your art is cool, the edges are bold and it looks way cleaner now by getting rid of the 2nd version, less is more, so they say, The details and likeness of Spock are captured really nicely from the character to the person, great job so far, the purple eyeshadow will look great on the shadowy side.

Valence, the addition of the nebula background really is working well, it has a great sense of depth and spirituality, very appropriate and you did a good job with it, awesome!

21 Mar 2015 02:51 #9738 by jessie
I agree with Micro. Great sense of depth in that nebula, Valance. Great job!

21 Mar 2015 08:29 #9745 by Charlotte
I see I've been thinking things but not saying much, so here's some feedback from me.

Jessie - really like yours and it's nice to see a different style than usual here at the forum too (if I haven't said so already!)

Valence - I think the nebula background looks great and is suiting for the challenge theme. Someone mentioned earlier (before the nebula stage) that the background was very saturated and I agree. It still is, plus it's a more saturated blue and Nimoy has a blue jacket as well. I did some quick playing around with the background in ArtRage and I think that maybe changing the background colour to something warmer might work. I also played with making it somewhat lighter and less saturated. It's just a suggestion, but I think you could play a bit too ;)

Cherry - Love your idea and of the four alternatives you posted I prefer the first (most eye catching) or perhaps the fourth, while the two middle ones seem a bit too monochromatic to me.

Looking forward to seeing the final results (and kinda hoping we'll still see a few more entries as well - it's always fun when there's a lot of participation)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jessie

21 Mar 2015 12:39 #9746 by jessie
Thanks Charlotte.

Valance: Now that Charlotte mentioned the jacket in your painting, I think some rim lighting on the back side would help. I like the blue personally. But I think a warmer tone would work too.

21 Mar 2015 15:19 - 21 Mar 2015 15:20 #9754 by Valence
Excellent feedback, thank you all.

It was Schizo who mentioned the saturation and I have been neutralizing it on the simpler version of the pic. However for a nebula more saturation seems to work better but it does go against the usual ideas of depth perspective, hence it looks a little awkward. Also I went for the cyan colour to make you think of Spock's uniform but didn't realise that it's resulted in a bit too much blue.

I started putting a bit of rim light on that left shoulder but I agree it does need more. A bit more brightness and some more on the right shoulder too should integrate the foreground and background better.

I shall try both things out next time.

21 Mar 2015 21:20 - 21 Mar 2015 21:23 #9756 by hobbyhorse
These are all looking awesome. I was just lurking thinking I probably wouldn't have time to paint anything, but I got inspired by you guys and a photo of Nimoy that I liked soooo...

Photo reference byKen Whitmore

I know there's a few corrections that I am currently working on. Hope to post soon, like later today.
Attachments: