May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

14 Mar 2015 17:09 - 14 Mar 2015 17:10 #9581 by microscopi
Jessie awesome idea, it's going to be difficult to pull off, but I was thinking if you gave spock some of that signature blue eye shadow, it would sell the idea of his side more, first wip is looking great. Look forward to seeing the progression :cheer:

Valence looking awesome :woohoo: Nothing to really critique as everything looks right to me, also the first thing I saw was his hair when I looked at your update, and must say looking just as detailed as his skin texture, nice job.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Mar 2015 21:00 #9595 by crankshaft
Wow Valence that painting is just awesome! Really feeling the emotion from that one. I think just a bit more highlights on his suit would help it pop out more, especially from the background. Other than that it's awesome!

16 Mar 2015 13:51 - 16 Mar 2015 13:52 #9616 by jessie
Valence: Thank you. This one and all my newer pieces are vector, yes. I use Coreldraw for the vector process and textures, than move to photoshop for added shadow and more textures depending on if I added any with Coreldraw. I use vector programs at work and find it easier to create with. Your's is looking great still btw!

Kazky: Thanks love.

Microscopi: Thanks. It will be difficult and I agree, some signature blue eye shadow is a must.

My household has had a run of bad luck this year so I haven't been able to work on it again. But I will update as soon as I do.

16 Mar 2015 14:38 #9619 by CherryGraphics
Nice start jessie! Looking forward to see the progress :) vector art i something "new" in this challenges - so keep it up! :)

Valence: brilliant as alwayS i think. ;) Love how you drew the facial wrinkles... they're always hard to do.. :woohoo:

So here's what I have done until now... :lol:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

16 Mar 2015 23:48 - 18 Mar 2015 19:13 #9622 by Valence
Jessie: I always admire people who can do 2D vector work. It seems require a level of planning and discipline that is way beyond my messy, sketchy instincts. I've had a go with an older version of CorelDraw and Inkscape but the only vector software I ever had success with is Alchemy, which of course is specifically made for messy, sketchy stuff. But it's hard to do a finished piece with that and I've certainly never got close to the style that you achieve.

Cherry: That's very cleverly done. The way the eyes fall on that yellow stripe is like having a shaft of light fall across the face. Really captivating.

On Friday I had a quick go at a space nebula for the background to my picture and immediately realised that I didn't know how to do it! So I've spent the weekend reading tutorials and watching videos to try and learn and I think I'm getting the hang of it (it's all to do with multiple layers and Linear Dodge!) Although I'm quite pleased with my first attempts they have been bit too complex and I'm now not sure if this kind of thing suits the portrait. I think I need a bit more practise to try and do a scene that's a bit more subtle. And if that doesn't work then I shall follow the advice of Schizo and crankshaft and go with a simple background and pick out some highlights. Thankfully I've given myself time to experiment with it.

17 Mar 2015 10:56 #9627 by CherryGraphics
Thanks Val. :)

Okay I think I'm almost done. I like the variety of colors in my picture but I fear some might get psychedelic shocks. :silly: So I thought maybe a bit more monochromatic colors could be helpful? (left original - process - process - right new)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

17 Mar 2015 11:05 #9628 by kazky
hmmm I prefer the original Cherry, lets see what mix of views you get :D

17 Mar 2015 23:02 #9638 by Valence
I like the original too, the variety of colour gives a good balance to the image.

18 Mar 2015 03:24 - 18 Mar 2015 03:28 #9640 by jessie
Cherry: Thanks! My vote is for the new piece. Call me a rebel but I like the balance of tone all the colors have in that one.

Valance: Thanks. I've never used Alchemy myself but I've heard of it. I work with about 3 different vector programs on a regular basis. I don't have the patients for the style you have achieved, that's why I got away from it. The detail you brought out of his face is just amazing. I hope your space nebula research pays off.

I had to scrap some of my original ideas for balance/time reasons. I thought the added hands distracted from the face which expresses my point the best. Besides that, I don't think I'll have much more time to work on it before the deadline so removing those elements gives me a better chance of finishing.

Attachments:

18 Mar 2015 09:11 #9641 by kazky
Jess do you use illustrator for your work, I'm just blown away by it, it's lovely to see a different style.