April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

10 Mar 2015 10:27 - 10 Mar 2015 10:39 #9482 by Banj
:dry:

EDIT - There, it's changed, see? SEE?!?!?!?!?!! CHAAAAAANNNNNGGGGEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :argh:

Aaaand relax :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2015 10:38 #9483 by kazky
awww I'm sorry :(

10 Mar 2015 12:05 #9484 by CherryGraphics
:whistle: :D Thanks Banj ^^

I did some research of Nimoy and I'm going to illustrate a poem of him. I will update the first WIP when it is a bit more clear. It's just a strange sketch until now. :blush:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

10 Mar 2015 12:48 #9486 by CherryGraphics

I really don't know if anyone can see what is meant with this sketch but perhaps I can explain it a bit.

I'm going to illustrate the poem "Will I think of you?" and I want to paint a blurry bar or club with silhouettes of anonymous people and reflected by the surrounding a clear face of the woman he loves.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

10 Mar 2015 13:00 #9487 by kazky
intriguing Cherry, look forward to seeing it progress.

I just want to say, I don't get poetry, at all.

10 Mar 2015 15:19 #9492 by jessie
I may have to participate in this one. :silly:

10 Mar 2015 15:41 #9495 by kazky
you so do Jessie!

10 Mar 2015 17:45 #9498 by jessie
Ooohhhh K! Twist my arm.

Idea is half Spock, half Nimoy. Lets see if I can pull it off.

10 Mar 2015 20:09 #9508 by Valence
Cherry: That sounds like a really interesting and imaginative idea, and something that I wouldn't be able do. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Jessie: Allow me to twist your other arm! A Spock/Nimoy hybrid sounds good.

And an update from me: I slapped some colour under the pencil sketch thusly…

…and as predicted I immediately saw an enormous number of errors so I started to correct, using transform to alter the position of the eyes and lengthen the face a bit and I then began detailing the skin and narrowing the face as everyone rightly suggested. And it now looks like this:

I could go narrower but when I do I keep losing the expression so I'm trying to find the right balance. The likeness seems to come and go, and at the moment it's "going" but I might get it back. The main culprit seems to be the eye on the right side, if I block it out with my thumb then the picture seems to improve so I'll make some tweaks there to help turn the face away from the viewer. There are also some changes I can make to the forehead when I get around to doing the hair.
Still haven't touched the background. I think I'll have to switch to Photoshop for that at the end because Artrage and its paint doesn't suit the idea I'm thinking of. I want it to be a deep star field with a nebula of glowing gas and one of those occluding dust clouds (Astronomy Nerd: "Like the Horsehead Nebula?") Yeah, a bit, but with the cloud making a silhouette of Spock. It works in my head but I'm not sure how good it'll be on canvas, and if it doesn't work I'll just leave it out and recrop the image.
Attachments:

10 Mar 2015 22:15 #9510 by Domtopia
This is looking great!!.... If a bit creepy!!

The lighting is ace!

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!