May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

21 Mar 2015 22:36 #9765 by hobbyhorse
Worked on it to correct some issues with the face/eye placement and on the hand which is from another photo so I had to imagine the lighting to match the face.

And just a bit more work...

I am terrible at portraits...any C&C would be helpful.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Mar 2015 22:40 #9766 by Valence
Hobbyhorse: Instantly recognisable! And a lovely expression too; sad but also with a bit of playfulness too, showing the man behind the character. The muted colour scheme works well too.

21 Mar 2015 22:53 #9767 by hobbyhorse
Thanks Valence - I like yours a lot and I think your rendition of him was the nudge I needed to start this. I like the nebula you have but the dark cloud on the left side of the silhouetted figure looks like he has both hands raised. Maybe lightening that area and pushing the figure to the right to somewhat sit behind Nimoy's right shoulder. Otherwise I Like It :)

22 Mar 2015 09:32 #9771 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Mar 2015 19:39 #9777 by jessie
Great start Hobbyhorse!

23 Mar 2015 01:20 #9782 by hobbyhorse
Thank you jessie.
Do you guys think it's finished enough or what...I never know how far to take it, or if I've done enough with out going too far. Smooth it out, add more contrast? Texture?

23 Mar 2015 01:52 #9783 by jessie
That is the exact question that got me away from painting with photoshop. I never knew how far to take something either.

I say do whatever you feel comfortable with. I would refine the shapes with a little more detail and maybe add some texture to the background.

23 Mar 2015 02:37 - 23 Mar 2015 02:38 #9786 by microscopi
Looks great already Hobbyhorse :woohoo: You captured the human side of spock really well, I can see it coming through with the eyes, awesome !

23 Mar 2015 10:42 #9789 by CherryGraphics
Good to see that someone started too this challenge :) Good start and updates hobbyhorse :) Looking forward to see how it turns out, maybe with a bit more brightness and bit more saturation.

Valence - brilliant as always ^^ I love the idea of the nebula a lot!

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

23 Mar 2015 13:44 - 23 Mar 2015 13:45 #9792 by jessie
Attachments: