April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Mar 2015 Challenge - Tribute to Nimoy - WIPs

01 Mar 2015 09:32 #9226 by Charlotte
A Tribute to Leonard Nimoy

Brief: Since Leonard Nimoy passed away on the 27th of February it seems only fitting to do a tribute to him. He's known to us Fantasy and Sci-fi geeks as Mr Spock of course, but he's also written poetry, acted on stage, directed and worked with photography (and more). So your tribute can encompass everything and anything you want from his creative deeds.

Deadline: Tuesday 31st March, by midnight GMT. After which voting will begin.

This is where you posts your WIPs (works in progress). You final entry should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...ibute-to-nimoy-final

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one set of votes, for their 3 favourites.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Mar 2015 08:13 #9243 by CherryGraphics
It's always sad to see someone passed away who has given the society so much culture and art with his life.

But I also have to say I never watched Star Trek or know something different from Leonard Nimoy so it could be hard for me to find something to pay tribute to him. But I'll do some research and hopefully I'll get an idea of this man.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

02 Mar 2015 09:26 #9244 by Charlotte
One idea could be to check out his poetry and just see if the words bring any images to mind. (I haven't read anything by him myself so I have no idea what kind of poetry he wrote, but it seems a good place to start.)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Mar 2015 12:40 #9252 by Domtopia
Yeah, I think this will be a tricky one too Cherry. I thought the guys was pretty cool and I loved the rapport he had with Shatner.

But I am drawing a blank as to what to paint to remember him by that isn't just a portrait.

... maybe something to do with Bilbo Baggins!??

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!

02 Mar 2015 13:00 #9256 by Banj
There's nothing actually wrong with "just" doing a portrait you know :)

02 Mar 2015 13:33 #9259 by Domtopia
No, I know, I know... but I like to try and come up with an unusual idea and a portrait is a little bit too obvious.

Charlotte's portraits were awesome, so it shows that there's no such thing as "just" a portrait! Maybe a caricature would be an idea? It would be a real challenge for me, as I can't do them!

02 Mar 2015 14:05 #9260 by Digital Dave
Think I'll just be watching this one unfold. With this funky weather still in play here and all. :unsure:

Just some suggestions;
Along with doing a simple portrait, you could always make it a montage? Have a couple or few different angles of him, maybe showing the Enterprise, space scene or other known elements from the show?

Maybe create an image depicting his ascension to wherever Vulcan-Hybrids might go. ;) ...or, even showing him in this new environment?

Depict you own Spock sendoff, similar to the video Banj supplied in the 'Goodbye Mr. Spock' thread?

Just some thoughts. :)

Though I know of the show quite well, to be honest, I was never a big fan of the original star trek show, especially at the time of it's original airing. To be honest, this was probably due more to the fact I've never really cared for William Shatner personally, and find him quite annoying. - I did watch Star Trek: The Next Generation with Captain Picard, and have really enjoyed the new movies they made here recently. I've even gone back and watched some of the older movies, that were made with the original cast. ... Look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

04 Mar 2015 19:17 #9342 by Valence
Thought I'd go with one of those boring portraits. :)
And for once I get to start early because that's the kind of the thing I usually try to do anyway between participating in challenges so I may as well put it to use.

Want to do him not as Spock although I may introduce some Spock/Space related thing in the background (hence the position and landscape format.) Of course that may change but even though there is a plan I'm not really thinking too much about that yet as I want to try and focus on the face and the likeness because no likeness, no portrait and no portrait, no picture!

I know some of the proportions are a bit (?) out but I'll try and correct it as I go along and given that I've allowed myself time to progress if it all goes pear-shaped I'll do a switcheroo to another reference and try that.

Attachments:

04 Mar 2015 19:25 #9344 by Banj

Thought I'd go with one of those boring portraits. :)

There's nothing particularly wrong with "just" doing one of those "boring" portraits you know :)

04 Mar 2015 19:39 - 04 Mar 2015 19:45 #9345 by Domtopia
... awww no.... what have I said!!???!!!!:facepalm:

Val: yours is looking great as it is. I love the line work. It is already looking like Nimoy, but has a distortion that I think really works. He kinda looks like a character form Lord of The Rings, which is perfect because he had a hit record with a song about a hobbit.

Great start and nice idea!