April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

29 Sep 2015 16:53 #12472 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Didn't see your post there, Thomgirl. ... Just been sketching a little while watching TV and such when home. Been nice just getting back into it some. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2015 11:47 #12519 by Digital Dave
Again, just posting this for link-ability.

Attachments:

10 Oct 2015 14:08 #12570 by Digital Dave
A bit under the weather fighting a head-cold at the moment, but pulled this one out last night and worked on it a little. Didn't do a whole lot, other then fixing some minor things I didn't like, and tried to add some snow to the scene. Didn't like the first few attempts, but ended up keeping this one.

Attachments:

10 Oct 2015 22:36 #12574 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Nice pic! Some critique: The sense of depth is a bit backwards here. The distant trees have a lot of detail and sharpness compared to the softer edges of the people. Also the value ranges are too similar. I would lighten up the distant trees/put more blowing snow to pop the characters even more.

12 Oct 2015 03:05 - 12 Oct 2015 04:18 #12581 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Crank. Yeah, they were closer to the trees in the beginning, and I guess I didn't knock them back enough. But if I revisit it anytime soon, I will see what I can do. :)

Well, woke up this morning quite sore, and then went and cut up a large, downed oak tree for a neighbor and brought all the wood back to my house. So ended up way more sore! :) So, rested up some the rest of the day, and even pulled out another older one I never finished up and started adding some color. Just the first run of color, and still a few left to do before I start any touching up after all the color is applied. Also worked up some values too. This was from the Steam Punk Challenge I never finished.

Attachments:

12 Oct 2015 11:43 #12585 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
I remember this!
I liked it at the time and I'm still liking it now.
The colour of the metallic bull is just perfect, it's all too easy to opt for the obvious choice of a grey/silver colour but the rusty, coppery hue gives it much more character.

14 Oct 2015 00:38 #12595 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Valence. I had fun working on this as well. Especially since it was my first attempt at doing a Steam Punk image. :) But seeing everyone else's definitely helped getting it together. ... Hope to get some time to work on it this weekend or so.

14 Oct 2015 22:45 #12613 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Dave's Digitals
I can only agree with Valence (as I often do). I missed this challenge while I was away but it does look very cool. The copper bull fits well with the Steampunk ethos and theres a very nice solidity about the whole thing. All those gears and pistons seem to have a strange logic to their positioning which elevates them above the station of mere decoration. I'm also really liking the repetition of the guys glasses on the bull. The cobblestones are looking good too, mine always appear too patterned and flat. The only things for me that distract from the image are the bricks on the wall that seem a little flat and the steam escaping from the chimney in the upper right (though the gas at the side of the boiler seems a lot more realistic).
Looking forward to seeing it progress,

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

15 Oct 2015 22:22 #12622 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Atto. You are correct about the smoke on the upper right. While I was working on the bricks, I did disturb it some, but also thought it could took a better too. So I erased and re-worked the steam down by the pulleys first, and plan to do the same in the upper right. Just haven't got there yet. ... Glad you think the newer one looks more like steam too. That was my hope.

As for the bricks themselves, yep, more details will be coming. Just still working on the Bull right now, and hope to have an update sometime here soon.

Thanks again

17 Oct 2015 22:27 #12635 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Nice pic. I do think that the cylinders on the right should curve upwards more (they are above the horizon) as we would be looking up at them.