April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

07 Sep 2016 16:35 - 07 Sep 2016 16:38 #14513 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Well, it's been a while since I've been around and I apologize for that. I've been dealing with some injuries, as well as some other stuff. But I'm really hoping to get back to some artwork real soon! :)

After having some issues with my computer a while back, it turned out to be the hard drive that was going bad. But unfortunately, as soon as I dropped in a new 1T SSD hard drive, my Division Chief dropped a hundred pound storm drain lid on my hand! :dry: I was actually lucky not to loose my middle finger to the first knuckle. I lacerated it almost fully around the knuckle, and though it's pretty much healed now, it still doesn't feel "normal" as it did, Mostly just not as flexible as it used to be. Still feels a little tight when I make a fist. ... A couple months later while my hand was still healing, I apparently did something to my right knee after pulling 3 days of long shifts. By the end of the week I couldn't put any weight on my leg. - The folks over at the Urgent Care I ended up going to informed me that I had a bad inner meniscus strain and that I would need physical therapy. After nearly 8 weeks, they told me it seemed to be progressing well, but that it would just take some time to get back to normal. :unsure:

I'm now just getting to where neither injury is bothering me as much, but I still have to watch not to turn or twist the wrong way, else my knee reminds me it's still not 100%. Dealing with all this as well as my wife going through her own issues, I guess I just got bummed out for a while with everything going on and haven't been doing much of anything. But it's starting to look up some as of late. I finally got the promotion they've been wanting me to take over and I'm just settling into the new office and getting things together. ... Also, after dropping in the new hard drive, it would only start in Safe Mode? So I needed to go back and do some tweaking, but with a busted up hand I didn't even bother trying to fool with it at the time. So now I just decided to order a new computer, transfer everything over and give the older one to my wife once I reset it. The new computer is supposed to be in later this week or early the next and I've really been wanted to sit down and do some artwork. So I'm hoping to have something going real soon. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble. Wanted to mainly stop in and just say hello to everyone! I've surely missed you guys. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Sep 2016 17:11 #14515 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Good to see you back Dave! Sorry to hear you've had injuries affecting you so much. But sometimes we just have to prioritise getting better. Even if art helps us feel better, too.

I too am expecting a new computer by the end of this week (hopefully anyway!) My old one hasn't been starting up at all for three days but today it's been (mostly) kind to me and I've managed to order a new one. Though mine's just 512 GB SSD :P I feel jealous now! I really miss "daring to paint" but the way my current comp keeps freezing or restarting itself mid-anything I've avoided any "serious" art.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

07 Sep 2016 17:28 - 07 Sep 2016 17:30 #14516 by Digital Dave
Thank you kindly, Charlotte. :) And yeah I am getting better, just got bummed out there for a while. ... And though I'm glad to hear you're getting a new computer :woohoo: I'm also sorry to hear you also had computer issues. Sounds very similar to what I was having. Couldn't get it to start up properly and sometimes just got locked on the apple screen.

The new one that I ordered will also only have 512 GB SSD as well. Considering they wanted something like $600 to go up to a 1T, I didn't think it was needed. Besides, I have a couple 2T SSD externals I use, so I figured the 512GB should suffice. I just installed the 1T SSD in the older iMac since I got a good price on it and it was cheaper since I was putting it in myself.

Thanks again

07 Sep 2016 20:46 #14518 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Dave's Digitals
Hey, Dave! Welcome back.
It's great to hear from you and good to know that you're recovering from your problems, albeit slowly. Recovery isn't a race, though, so just take things at your own pace.

Hope that your new comp provides you with lots of new art opportunities! :)

07 Sep 2016 21:10 #14520 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Dave's Digitals
Good to see you back Dave & i'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I think we've all had a rough time lately, i personally hate 2015 & 2016 & hope things start improving for everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

08 Sep 2016 11:39 #14524 by Digital Dave
Thank you Valence, I do hope to get something going soon. My tablet has been sitting on top my dresser collecting dust long enough! :) And re-visiting everyone's work here, is definitely inspiring. ... Thanks again.

Thanks kindly Kaz. It has been a little rough as of late, but I think it's definitely looking up. :) And I'm with ya, hoping that 2017 turns out better then the previous couple years. Thanks again. :)

11 Sep 2016 17:21 #14548 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Dave's Digitals
Aww, Dave, so sorry to hear about this storm about you with all this craziness! You've been sorely missed as well as your work. I hope 2017 is a much nicer respite for you and I'm sure once you get back into the swing of things, you'll find it to come back better than expected :) My start getting back into the swing of things from a hiatus seemed painfully slow at first, but once I got a nice stretch in it all came flooding back and I think even stronger than before. I look forward to seeing what you churn out in the future to come :D

12 Sep 2016 02:39 #14554 by crankshaft
Replied by crankshaft on topic Dave's Digitals
Sorry to here the turn of events Dave. Here's hoping to a much better 2017! It's great have you back!

13 Sep 2016 05:25 - 13 Sep 2016 05:30 #14556 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Dave's Digitals
Dave, it's nice to hear things are turning around for you and your wife too. I pretty much have been on pause this whole year and the last two months of 2015, so I'll be truthful when I say I can relate, and Kaz it's not just you, the last couple years have been crazy. :X

I've been going through an injury and off work also for the past year or so. Take pain meds everyday, hard to get through a day without them :dry: I can only draw for about 10-15 min at a time without getting up to move around a bit.. so I hope you appreciate how long it takes me to make a picture ! :P They say bad things happen in 3's, hopefully there will be some excellent things that happen x 3 to even out the karma for you! Here's a pic to help you feel all warm and fuzzy. B)

Attachments:

15 Sep 2016 14:53 - 15 Sep 2016 15:00 #14571 by Digital Dave
Thanks Thomgirl, I'm hoping so as well. :) Funny thing, I actually pulled out a sketch pad last night while watching some TV, but after a couple hours and not making even the first mark, I just put it away. I know getting back into it can sometimes be painstaking, but I'm sure it won't be too long. I actually did get an idea for a pic after some time, I just couldn't get going or decide how to start it? Hopefully some doodling of ideas this coming weekend will help. :) Thanks again.

Thanks Crank, it's good to see everyone still producing great works here! I think just checking out everyone else's work will definitely help in getting me back into the swing of things. :)

Thanks, Micro. :) Sorry to hear you've been dealing with issues of your own. I hope things get better for you as well. And good to see they haven't slowed you down all the way. Still producing artwork I mean. - I also like your thinking of having some good things come in by 3's and I hope you're right. :) ... As I stated before, it's not all been bad. I did get promoted. Though I will probably be training many folks over the next year or so to take over a lot of the duties I've been performing for many years, I'm hoping that once this is done it should definitely free me up some and not have my department so dependent on me alone. Plus, it's actually a great opportunity for me to provide even more training for my folks and pass along the skills required when all us older folks decide to retire. Presently 1/2 to 3/4 of the inspection staff already has over 30 years, so... :lol:

Thanks again :) ... just an quick update. I got word yesterday that my new computer is finally in. So I plan to take 1/2 day off tomorrow and pick it up. I'm hoping to get everything installed/transferred over the weekend and dust off the Wacom. :)