April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

19 Sep 2016 01:51 - 19 Sep 2016 01:59 #14580 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Well, I did indeed pick up the new computer Friday evening. Then started setting everything up the following morning. But boy, what a major PITA!!! :S I had woke early, so started working on transferring stuff shortly after 7:00am. ... Little did I know, that I would still be sitting there 17 hours later! I finally stopped shortly after Midnight, and with hardly any breaks throughout the process, I was wiped out.

Not only did I have to go through all the stuff from my older computer's backups and multiple external SSD's, (making sure I got everything switched over before wiping the drive/s, but I also had to update my checking account info. That since last November, I'd been keeping track of using an Excel spreadsheet, since I couldn't access iBank. - This actually took the brunt of the time really, after I had to purchase the newer version of iBank of course! (Banktivity5) And then manually enter all the transactions for the past 10 months! ... Guess I needed to upgrade it anyway? :dunno:

But it seemed everything I worked with, I had to run around looking for the associated documents, purchase codes, etc. which as you would guess were not easily located, nor together! (Note to self, lesson learned!) And I'm still not done! ... Though I do have most of it completed now, I only have Photo Shop, Manga Studio & PaintStorm Studio reinstalled at the moment. And my Wacom Intuos4 gave me quite the scare too, when it wouldn't work at first! :eek: ... Being a wireless tablet, I let it charge up some more and re-downloaded the latest drivers again, and shortly later it finally began working! :woohoo: ... I had actually hoped to start doodling some today, but after spending a few hours cutting grass and doing a few other things, I'm actually quite sore now. Mainly it's my back and neck, but also my, um, backside. :blush: That long sit apparently did a number on me, and wanting to get the new system up and running, I kept at it. But didn't think about the repercussions.

As for my older iMac, I cleared all the information out once transferred and installed a fresh copy of the OS. Everything seemed to work just great.. at least for a while. - Shortly later when I came back in I woke it from sleep mode and it apparently had stopped working again. So I guess I will have to go back in and see if I can figure it out? ... Oh well.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Sep 2016 07:18 - 19 Sep 2016 07:25 #14581 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
I feel your pain :P
I only got around to installing Thunderbird for emails again yesterday and spent most of the day deleting old emails from old accounts that I plan to discontinue... I had emails saved from 2001.... But, now I'm down to a few hundred more needing to be deleted. (They're all more recent, though, so I need to be a bit more careful).

I've basically installed what I need when I need it, but eventually I need to clear my external drive too so I can use it for new backups. Downloading and installing Guild wars took about 7 hours I think but I've still not played it (not sure I can with a touchpad for a mouse...). And I've still not hooked the laptop up to the screen, because I haven't been able to get the uhm "adaptive cable adapter thingy converter something" - hopefully I can get it on my way home today. I did a wee bit of doodling, though, but I'm looking forward to having my bigger screen back. :)

It's all worth the trouble when done, I'm sure :woohoo:

EDIT: As for the ah... backside... This summer I spent 8 hours on a bus and then several more hours on buses and trains to get home after visiting family. So I get that too. Took me a week or more before I could sit comfortably again :P Hope your bum recovers faster! :lol:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

19 Sep 2016 12:28 #14582 by Digital Dave

Hope your bum recovers faster! :lol:

Haha... Yeah, I hope so too!

Since all the software was loaded at different times over the years, I didn't have it all stored together. Something I plan to remedy! ;) I plan to get it all organized and have it all stored together in one place, and then just add anything I might get later. The biggest issue was finding the purchase codes for the re-registering of the programs themselves. Might be putting something digitally together for all those as well. List of codes in one place. Not to mention having to go it and navigate some sites, trying to deactivate older installs so I could then re-install on the new system. :blink: What a pain.

As for the touch-pad, I've never been a fan myself. I've tried using them before, but like a mouse better. One of my work computers (the Pen-Tablet) I actually had them purchase a wireless mouse for it, and it makes a world of difference.

Thanks again. :)

19 Sep 2016 13:28 #14583 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals

I plan to get it all organized and have it all stored together in one place, and then just add anything I might get later.

Doesn't everyone plan that everytime they do this? :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

19 Sep 2016 16:16 #14584 by Digital Dave
Yeah, I guess you have a point there. :lol:

I have indeed had to do a few of those in the past, but this one was definitely the worst being I have move now that I work with. But I'm still going to try organizing! ;)

24 Sep 2016 00:17 #14590 by Digital Dave
Man, I really hate feeling like such a NOOB, trying to get back into using my programs. Can't remember the short-cuts, settings, etc. Luckily I was able to locate a file where I had saved at least the small brush set I use in PS, as well as at least 1 of my Wacom presets I saved for the tablet. ... I'm sure I will have to figure out the other program stuff when I get to work with them, but for now, at least I got to doodle some last night in PS.

This is what I was thinking about the other day, but excuse the name just being 'New' ... I couldn't think of a name. :) But at least it's something for now.

Attachments:

24 Sep 2016 16:32 #14596 by Thomgirl
Replied by Thomgirl on topic Dave's Digitals
Nice start, Dave :) I she looking at the leave in the water? You have such a nice way of capturing children :D

24 Sep 2016 23:42 #14599 by microscopi
Replied by microscopi on topic Dave's Digitals
Looking great Dave B) Her anatomy is strong so far and the mood comes through with her expression, the background looks good so far, having her interact with it will give a nice depth. I like how you included the light source, that really helped me improve by getting that down first, it gives you a nice direction to follow.

25 Sep 2016 00:27 - 25 Sep 2016 00:33 #14602 by Digital Dave
Thanks Thomgirl and Micro. :) I was just happy to get something started and figured I can use it as practice to try and get back into doing some art. ... Unfortunately I felt something coming on Thursday, with my head getting stuffy and sore throat. So started taking meds that night and through Friday in the hopes to keep it from grabbing hold, but apparently it didn't work. :) Woke at 4am this morning and been laying down all day. I did try to start adding some color earlier, but not much. (But I also start slow with color) But I did realize I no longer have my brushes I used to use for doing trees, so I will have to see what I can find to replace them. Here's all I got to do so far, which isn't much.

I'm hoping to do some more now, if I can. Thinking of making some color changes and figuring out what I can do for the trees/vegetation.

Thanks again.

Attachments:

25 Sep 2016 03:44 #14603 by Digital Dave
Didn't get a whole lot done, basically changed the tone some and worked on getting the sketch lines off the girl. Elected to just work on the same layer and wipe out the lines. But I starting to feel there's something off with her eyes? I just can't pinpoint it? Might just be me though?

Attachments: