April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

24 Feb 2023 14:35 #44570 by Banj
You might want to look at Quixel Mixer for texture painting as well: quixel.com/mixer (also listed in the free apps thread). I haven't yet tried it but it's similar to Substance Painter which I do use and which makes texturing life so much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2023 14:45 #44571 by Valence
I will have a looky-loo. :aha:

It also doesn't help that some of Blender's most useful features are hidden behind some equally hidden menu options. I wish I'd known about that Adaptive Subdivision when I was doing that previous dinosaur picture.

02 Mar 2023 19:50 #44660 by Valence
After much reading of Blender forums and posts I've worked out that my problem was the mist.
I thought that my forest scene wasn't deep enough and to cover this up and remove the abrupt cut-off of the trees I introduced a Volume Scatter to the World texture nodes. Unfortunately this seems to create a mist of infinite size and this meant that two of my main lights (a sun lamp and an HDRI, which are both assumed to come from an infinite distance) were unable to penetrate this mist even at low density. Any non-zero value is still infinite mist.
What I should have done is create a finite mist using a cube as a domain for a Volume Scatter set in the Object nodes and scale it to just larger than my scene. :confident:

All of this is now done "correctly" and I am rendering...

*waits* :dry:

02 Mar 2023 20:21 #44662 by Valence
What visible lights you have, Grandma.
Something, something, to see you with, something. :eyeroll:

Now that it's eventually done I think it looks less like a fairy tale and more like a Boss Battle scene from a video game. As if little Red is just about to start dodge-rolling in a big circle before chucking some fruit grenades from her basket. :lol:
Part of me wants to put in some health bars and a mini-map in the corner. :)
But a bigger part of me has had more than enough of this.

But I DO like that displacement adaptive subdivision thing on the ground and rocks. It really does add believable dimension to what is effectively flat, bland geometry.
Attachments:

03 Mar 2023 07:01 #44673 by Charlotte
:woohoo:
I vote for... wait... oh :pout:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

03 Mar 2023 15:00 #44681 by Banj
I like it and look forward to playing the game 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

05 Mar 2023 17:06 - 05 Mar 2023 18:07 #44710 by Charlotte
My greens are clashing :pout: 

Edit: And after reworking the textures and UV maps and being driven half-insane by Merlin, while also trying to learn a way to copy a UV map from one item to an identical item in another file and realising that, as usual, it's faster to just redo everything by hand (thank you tutorials for telling me which sections or buttons to use but not mentioning where the heck they are), the colours are now less clashy. 

Attachments:

05 Mar 2023 19:55 #44713 by Valence
UV?
:argh:

Love the little wood detailing above and around the back cushions. :thumbup:
And your fruit looks much better than the stuff I hid in Red's basket. :)

05 Mar 2023 20:18 #44714 by Charlotte
Thank you. Though I did post the sofa before. I only made the table today, and updated the (green) textures.

11 Mar 2023 20:04 - 11 Mar 2023 20:17 #44789 by Charlotte
So this is what I've done today (not counting the three episodes of Lidia Poët, the laundry and a call to my dad). I have a sneaky suspicion that professionals would make a simple sofa a lot faster... :dry: Most of the time was spent fiddling with the texture map, then the texture, then the texture map again, etc... But I think I'm done. Now I just need to make a chair like it (which will basically be the same thing but not so wide, so... should be easy enough. I hope.)

PS - It's very heavily inspired by Knole sofas, and especially one with a similar fabric, but I made it into more of a regular sofa (I was lazy and used two "pillows" for the back, rather than one wide one - which was probably a good thing or texturing would have been messier - and there are no tassels at the back holding the pieces together...)

Edit: and of course I just realised (now that I have closed artRage) that I forgot to adjust the look of the bit of texture with the larger "flowers"... I guess I'll do that tomorrow. :shrug: 

Edit 2: Reference: a.1stdibscdn.com/george-smith-kilim-upho.../19920832_master.jpg 
I haven't decided whether I should make the round pillows too, or whether to leave them out...

Attachments: