May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

04 Nov 2021 21:46 - 04 Nov 2021 21:49 #37694 by Banj
I measured the mesh when I first looked at the sizes in the json. The measurements of the mesh in Blender according to the measuring tool are about (due to inaccurate clicking and dragging) .8 something high, .4 wide, and 1.9 long (I would guess collision is not the exact same size as the mesh). That's what lead to my assumption of the coordinates being wonky 

I would try just getting a basic UVd cube with a custom texture/material on it into the game to try and troubleshoot why they aren't showing up. Maybe it's something simple like a typo somewhere, or maybe you didn't apply a material correctly. Someone called CharlotteA seems to be having the very same problems as you on their forum 

EDIT - Maybe you can rip the files from the game and check the settings for the current furniture models instead of the "old" files in the sample. It doesn't really help that the only thing that changes textures like that in the json is a file they seem to have changed in the actual game but don't give clear examples of 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Nov 2021 22:01 #37695 by Charlotte
I think the height (of the collision box) is basically the height to the blanket, not the height of the bedposts. And I don't think the bed is only 40 cm wide. More like 2*40 - did you only check one side of the middle by any chance? :dry:

The thing is, if I leave the code as is (the materials being bedGrey and bed) they do load on my item. It's if I rename them to what I have called the materials I WANT to use, that they don't show up. I've also tried renaming them to what I call the materials in Blender and that's not fixing things either. And with the sunflowers, I tried using the exact same names in Blender as in Unity and that didn't make a difference...

I tried looking at the code with DNSpy and found something called scriptableMaterials and thought maybe these particular, "changing" materials were coded separately in the parts of the code I can't do anything about, but then I saw that all new materials made available in assetBundles (i.e. mods from Unity) are scriptableMaterials... So, I'm guessing that's not it, either...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 Nov 2021 22:03 #37696 by Charlotte
oh and I don't know how to rip things :dry: :cry:

04 Nov 2021 22:19 - 04 Nov 2021 22:29 #37697 by Banj
Ripping things is easier than beds   

There's an application called uTinyRipper which can extract assets from Unity games: sourceforge.net/projects/utinyripper/

EDIT- And I just opened the bed up again and measured and they are now the other way around with the .4 being to the top of the "blanket" as you said. Weird 

04 Nov 2021 22:34 #37698 by Charlotte
:dry:
I was hoping to make you proud but I only managed to go through half of that video. Guess I'll have to try the other half tomorrow... :dry: And the uTinyRipper U too... I feel like it's a bit too late and I'm a bit too tired to try to learn something new today... :dumb:

04 Nov 2021 22:35 #37699 by Charlotte
Told you there are ghosts in Blender. :confident:

04 Nov 2021 22:44 #37700 by Banj
Basically, you run uTinyRipper, drag the game folder into the window, tell it where to extract the files to, then clicka-da-button. Files should then be in the folder. I don't know how successful it will be, but if it works then you should be able to open assets from the game in Unity/Blender and examine them under a microscope and steal their secrets 

04 Nov 2021 22:45 #37701 by Charlotte
:ohmy:
well at this point I really just need to know what they named stuff relating to the bed... but it might come in handy later, for other stuff... if I ever advance beyond simple tables and chairs for Founder's Fortune... :dry:

04 Nov 2021 22:49 #37702 by Banj
You mean... (dun dun duhn! ) Carrots 

04 Nov 2021 22:51 #37703 by Charlotte