April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

20 Oct 2021 18:12 #37376 by Charlotte
:dry:
*when you spend a day not getting anything done because you're a lazybum and has been for years and it hasn't been fixed. Oh, and Gandalf.*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Oct 2021 18:20 #37377 by Banj

20 Oct 2021 22:09 #37379 by Charlotte
After much doing of nothing, I finally tried a couple of grave stones... They're really very serious. But as serious isn't the same as funny, I'm not very happy with them, so I'll just have to try again tomorrow...

(I tried a bit of "sculpting", too, but... eh... :dry: I think it just adds way too many polygons to my items...)

20 Oct 2021 22:32 #37380 by Valence
It adds way too many polygons to everyone's items. :lol:

21 Oct 2021 11:29 #37382 by Banj

(I tried a bit of "sculpting", too, but... eh... :dry: I think it just adds way too many polygons to my items...)

The idea is that you create the high poly sculpted version with all the detail and bake that down to the low poly version to create textures that replicate the high poly detail you sculpted 

21 Oct 2021 14:10 #37386 by Charlotte
But I want to use the same general stone texture for all of it :dry:

21 Oct 2021 14:20 #37387 by Valence
Decimate. Retopologise. And other technical words. :lol:

Or just keep the high poly model so that everything slows down and then crashes when you try to unwrap for the UVs. :dumb:

21 Oct 2021 21:28 #37393 by Valence
The sword modelling didn't work very well. :nope:
So I've gone back to the lumpy axe.
I've subdivided (MORE polygons! :argh:) and tried again to work the edges and details. I've also played about with the materials/textures to add some more bark details to the wooden handle and increased the reflective part of the metal. And I've also found the bloom setting and that helps too!

Just need to fiddle to include the HDRI texture reflection without it appearing as a background.

And I think I'm mostly done with modelling/texturing now (even though he still has no legs.) I think it's now time to merge things and work on the weight painting so that I don't have any last minute surprises when it goes wrong. :)
Attachments:

22 Oct 2021 19:29 - 22 Oct 2021 21:19 #37410 by Valence
Oooh, I made a bit of progress with the weight painting after my sulky post in the wip thread. You can weight paint the body and then transfer those weights to a nearby mesh and early tests suggest that this may work with the straps and buckles.
But I am struggling to attach the hair.
I don't know how that's supposed to work with particle systems. :dunno:
Will investigate. :stare:

EDIT: Internet suggests that I need to have the Armature modifier above the Particle System modifier in the stack.

25 Oct 2021 18:03 #37438 by Valence
Yay, my Orc is now fully rigged...

The deformations are far from perfect but I can move and pose him a reasonable amount without leaving his hair behind and his straps now don't fly off under the strain.
Eyes rotate on demand and I can open and close his mouth to make some weird screaming expressions.
Still not sure about the brows. They do look OK but I was thinking of using Blend Shapes/Shape Keys to add some more expression to his face and seeing as the hair emitter is a separate object then that probably isn't going to work so if I do go down that route then the eyebrows will disappear again. :)
I suppose I could do it by adding a couple more bones to the armature. :hmm:
Attachments: