April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

07 Aug 2021 20:41 #35890 by Valence
All those look fine. I think the issue with the cobblestones is the uneven edge. When it's tiled next to a similar texture it's not a problem but having the alternate stones sticking out a little seems to break the designs of the other tiles/walls. That's assuming those are the ones you're talking about. :dumb:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Aug 2021 20:56 - 07 Aug 2021 20:56 #35891 by Charlotte
I think they look a bit like crocheting or knitting... But yeah I guess they'd look better "keeping in line", as well... but then each stone would have to be placed in straight lines instead of alternating.... are cobblestones ever placed that way? It's not like it has to be sturdy like a wall, I guess.... As you can see in the image, the game already has a cobblestone road, but I don't like its hard edges, for a path or road. So that's why I tried my own... But they ended up too rounded, even though I went through each of those "stones" to flatten them a bit.... (and the stripy texture doesn't help - it fitted the game well enough for the stones in the wall to the left, but that and the softness just make it all look like yarn to me...)

I guess it's another thing to sleep on. :zzz:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

07 Aug 2021 21:11 #35893 by Valence
I think you'd be better off having more than one type of tile for the cobblestones. Like having one type with hard edges that would always be tiled next to other cobblestones and a then a different type of tile that would act as a transition to a texture without cobblestones.

This was always the thing I struggled with when I tried to do natural 3D landscapes, it seemed so complicated trying to get that believable transition between the different textured areas. :dunno:

08 Aug 2021 03:22 #35895 by Charlotte
Well that's not really up to me - the floor (or path) models are always done in fours, but that's mostly to allow for some variation in shape and texture so things don't get too repetitive. If you just make a path I think they'll be stringed up like 1, 2, 3, 4 so if they had different edges then different parts of the path would have different edges... (so for my cobblestones I have two parts with 27 stones - 3 rows of 5 and 2 of 6 - and two parts with 30 stones) and then I've just rotated one of each kind 180 degrees so they won't look identical. Each tile is 1 meter wide, which is what most paths would be.

Anyway I think the shapes/stones need to be simpler and flatter and I basically need to redo them all from scratch... :P

(And yes I am up at 5 am thanks to my cats who decided to have a fight in my bed...)

09 Aug 2021 13:48 #35905 by Charlotte
Still looks like yarn/knitting, but it works (looks) better in game, like this... 

Attachments:

09 Aug 2021 14:25 #35908 by Charlotte
And now something that is shaded flat in Blender and should be shaded flat, looks smooth in Unity :stare:

10 Aug 2021 14:15 #35934 by Charlotte
Today I wasted about 3 or 4 hours trying something that ultimately didn't work. Yay. :dry:

I spent a couple of hours on the model, which as usual became rather more complex than I should have made it for just a test, and then it basically couldn't be made to work in game. It was a stair case. I knew that the little foundies walk down the ladder I made, as if it's a stair case. The maker of the game said they face the waypoints of the stairs, so I figured if I had several way points I could make them turn around while walking up a staircase, so I made one of those things with a little "platform" half way up. But no, they don't face the waypoints. They follow the path of the waypoints but they always face just one direction. So, scrap that. On to try something else. :pirate:

11 Aug 2021 14:20 #35946 by Banj

Still looks like yarn/knitting, but it works (looks) better in game, like this... 

I think it looks fine. I would say the reason it looks like knitting is due to the rigid grid that you have where cobblestone is usually a lot more random and non uniform in the size and layout of the stones.

11 Aug 2021 14:43 #35947 by Charlotte
And I would say the reason it looks like knitting is the stripy texture. Again. Seeing as it looked like knitting when the stones weren't so uniformly placed ;)

They aren't entirely uniform in size and shape, but the difference is so small you can't really see it unless very close. Which makes it rather pointless I guess, but whatever, It'll be this way now.

Now if I could decide on whether the staircase railings will have to be able to line up with the balustrades. (In which case I - as usual - need to rework stuff quite a bit :dry:)

11 Aug 2021 15:06 #35948 by Charlotte
Gnnnnnnghhh

So aside from needing to rework pretty much the whole damn thing, I have somehow, at some point, managed to duplicate a shape that's then left pretty much exactly where the original shape also is, causing dithering or whatsits. And I've managed to delete most of it, but now I have a pair of EDGES that just won't go away. They're not attached to any faces or anything, they're just.... THERE. I want them gone! :stare: