April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

04 Jul 2021 21:05 #35634 by Valence
Woohoo! :cheer:

I feel very satisfied for you cos I can tell how hard and frustrating it's been. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jul 2021 21:11 #35635 by Charlotte
I wish the feeling of success could outweigh the feelings of frustration working with both blender, unity and json files... :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Jul 2021 13:38 #35640 by Banj
Many people have experienced large amounts of frustration and annoyance when using Blender.

06 Jul 2021 15:08 #35646 by Charlotte
Today I took hours to create a sunflower in Blender only to first realise that I made the leaves more detailed on the underside, than above, and when I considered changing that I realised I made duplicates "only" instead of the LINKED duplicates that would have made fixing this so much faster and easier. And I guess the linked dupes would make adding textures easier too... *sigh* So basically I have to redo the whole dang thing. :stare:

06 Jul 2021 15:30 - 06 Jul 2021 15:46 #35647 by Charlotte
OK so apparently one can make linked duplicates after the fact. But it says to "select all the objects you want linked, then select-click the original object and click Ctrl + L etc..." - what the heck is "select-click"? I mean, if it's to have an effect I need to have all the copies selected AND the original object selected but somehow singled out. And from my tries so far Ctrl + L doesn't even do anything... *sigh* I hate when they just tell you to use hotkeys and don't explain what the action is called so you can find it in the menus instead... :dry:

EDIT: Ohhh I did it. apparently select click basically was select last. :eyeroll: And then used the menu (not the top menu either but the one that happens to be available in Object mode), to click Object > Link/Transfer Data > Object Data.

Now to repeat the process. Unless Blender's changed the rules again.... :paranoid:

06 Jul 2021 18:33 - 06 Jul 2021 18:42 #35648 by Charlotte
:argh:

*just had a thought*

Edit: Nope, didn't work. :nope:

I managed to fix the shape of that leaf, and make all leaves and petals into linked duplicates, and get the texturemapping right (though the texture itself needs darkening a bit). And then I tried to put the item in the world to check if the size seemed OK in game. And I broke the vase that was the first item I managed to do. After much fiddling without effect I realised I was fixing the files in the wrong location (I figured I should have one place for working with them before putting them into the game, but it turns out it's just confusing me). So I saved the fixed files to the right location and of course saved over the working file. Anyway eventually I managed to solved the issue (turns out I'm completely dyslectic when it comes to the names I choose for my own files). And ... now I can't place either item because there's something in the way!? :rage: It happened with the flower while the vase was broken but I figured it was because of the broken vase. Now neither of them can be placed and while Gandalf is currently very much in MY way I doubt he's in the way of those items. And as usual I have NO idea what's wrong. (I had added some code from another file that I thought might be it, but removing it did nothing. Assuming I was changing the correct file, that is.... :dumb:)

06 Jul 2021 19:54 #35652 by Valence
I really thought you were gonna blame the cat for a moment. :lol:

06 Jul 2021 21:00 #35653 by Charlotte
Only spelling errors... :dry:

08 Jul 2021 12:36 #35671 by Banj
:ohmy: Somehow I never saw that post showing the finished pictures, congrats on the successful moddingification :thumbup: I look forward to seeing the overcomplicated Sunflower.

08 Jul 2021 12:42 #35672 by Charlotte

Attachments: