April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

24 Jun 2021 15:04 #35483 by Charlotte
The dog watching never really happened. I got there, let the dog out into the yard and since he didn't seem to be in a hurry to go on a walk I sat down and sent a text to my dad and played a game on the phone and.... owner showed up. He was let off work reaaaaally early today. He had sent me a text but it's yet to arrive... :dry:

Anyway, got some tips about why my mods disappeared, on the founder's fortune forum (which is only that company and I joined because I don't have Steam and don't like discord, which is kind of stupid I guess... ´but anyway) - I checked the log, found the error. There was no config file. Well, of course there wasn't. That page of the tutorial mentioned three needed files and I had those. It didn't mention the config file. So I made a config file, and the game loaded fine, all mods visible in the list, no error messages. Aaaaand the mod isn't visible in the game. So now I have a new problem to solve. As always. :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jun 2021 18:08 #35487 by Charlotte
Apparently I missed a comma and now I can find the mod/object where it should be.

Like I predicted it's not quite in the right place, though. However, I did not expect it to be rotated 90 degrees... :huh: So basically, you make an item facing you, in Blender. Import it into Unity where it faces away from you. And then load it in the game suddenly facing to your right... I'm quite frankly a little confused by all of this. Also, it loads without the texture I spent a day or two struggling to apply... :dry:

24 Jun 2021 20:28 #35491 by Valence
I see a lot of people on Reddit talking about "Discord" but I have no idea what it is or how to use it. :dumb:
But even if you're not on Steam the discussion forums are still a good thing to read when you have problems with something. I've solved a few gaming glitches there without having to actually post anything. :)

24 Jun 2021 21:49 - 24 Jun 2021 21:55 #35493 by Charlotte
Yeah I do READ stuff on Steam - but I haven't signed up. It might be stupid seeing as it has those mod workshop features but on the other hand I don't want to repurchase the games I'd like to mod, from Steam, when I already bought them elsewhere....

Discord is some sort of live chat forum where like everything has it's own "channel" these days (and chat logs remain forever I think?). The few times I've been on there I have used temporary names. (You don't have to sign up.) And I guess I could read discussions about this game there too - I actually haven't, yet - but I don't feel particularly comfortable on that site. Not sure why... :P

EDIT: Maybe I don't like Discord because first they just want to know what to call me, then they say "beep beep boop" or something else silly and ask if I am a robot, then they take ages to load and finally they claim something weird is going on and I have to verify my account, although I didn't sign up for one. :stare:

24 Jun 2021 22:32 #35494 by Valence
Yeah, I was once invited to a "Discord" and I got as far as that name bit and thought "nononono" and ran away. :lol:

I like lurking until I know what it is I'm signing up for. :stare:

25 Jun 2021 14:07 #35501 by Banj
Discord is great for direct instant messaging, voice and video chat, complete garbage for presenting organised information compared to a traditional forum. I did look into integrating Discord into the forum at some point in place of the shoutbox/private messaging systems, but couldn't find a simple way to do it.

03 Jul 2021 18:35 #35613 by Charlotte
The other day (yesterday? :dumb:) I managed to make a simple item in Blender and get it to appear properly in Founder's Fortune. So now I know I can manage the absolute basics. More or less. :dry: So I decided to move on to another thing to try. I wanted to make some "paintings" for the lil' fellas. And I figured if I make a few simple models of canvas + frame, I could have one texture for the frames and one for the canvas (that is, multiple images but different from the frame one) and then I'd just need to do a few different texture-mapping versions to the same model, to make several different paintings. Am I making sense? I don't think I am....

Anyway, I just spent two days making four images in one, so a 1024x1024 texture file with 4 different paintings. And then.... I can't use more than one texture per file in blender? :blink: Who the hell decided on that stupidity? :stare:
I'm thinking I might still be able to assign two different textures in Unity, though. So... I guess I'll have to unwrap the whole thing, but then.... hmm... or maybe I need to combine two parts in Unity? :hmm: I probably can't select just part of an item. On the other hand if I put two in the same scene that doesnt matter because it's a SCENE and I don't save those... Why do they have to make everything so bloody complicated!? :cry:

03 Jul 2021 18:40 #35614 by Charlotte
Actually it seems to be wrong that you can't use two textures. But when I googled it, everything seemed to say "nope, not possible". Except now I'm at a page that explains how to do it. I hope. Or I hope I understand. Whichever. I'm tired. And Blender is getting on my nerves.

03 Jul 2021 20:03 #35616 by Charlotte
I did get it all to work btw. Even if it takes a whole lot of fiddling to get where I want. And I'll have forgotten how to do it, tomorrow, and will need to start all over again...

04 Jul 2021 16:13 #35622 by Charlotte
Yesterday I made a "painting" and it worked in the game. Today I made a second painting, and both of them ended up wrong. Finally fixed that (had to move them back in Blender in order to move them forwards in the game which makes absolutely no sense when they face the same way...) Next issue, I tried to make an item with TWO paintings in the same one (a diptych). And... It works in Blender but in Unity I only see one of them? :huh:

And I hate that I have a headache and feel nauseous just because I went out in the way too hot weather to get a salad earlier, because my local grocery store is a Coop which is closed due to some nasty Russian hackers hacking an American company. :( All naughty hackers ought to receive public spankings. Sent live online.