April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

21 Jun 2021 14:47 #35435 by Valence
Are you smoothing vertices/geometry or just smoothing the shading? :hmm:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2021 15:05 #35437 by Charlotte
I think it just smooths the shading. Back in VRML it would have been the creaseAngle for edges... And that was kind of blunt too. It always seemed to be a bit too little or a bit too much (over and under 90 degrees angles respectively, except in Blender it goes between 0-1, while the scale itself actually goes from -10,000 to 10,000 (which results in total distortion)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

22 Jun 2021 13:52 - 22 Jun 2021 13:54 #35447 by Charlotte
Tried something else today, something with a very simple shape and texture so I would be able to just test if I can get it into the game at all....

Turns out textures can't be positioned in any way, in Unity. So although I feel it's totally backwards, the shape and the texturemapping is done in Blender and any materials are added in Unity. Not at all confusing. :dry:

Next, according to the tutorial for Founder's Fortune, you open a specific asset/tool they have set up, which they call photoStudio. This is to make in game icons of the item. I found the tool. I somehow managed to choose one of several pre-arranged cameras, which should be suitable for my item. (Edit: after this moment I have been completely unable to switch to another camera set.) It wasn't, so I managed to adjust the view. Then one was to use the game window and "in the top bar set the resolution to something square". Well, after looking for quite a while and tearing my hair and cursing a bit I found a place to do that. No, it wasn't obvious. Now, there's a kind of pop up window with instructions on what to do, in the game window, obscuring the view. In this window it says to enter a name for your icon. But you can't enter anything or even activate the entry field with the cursor. And then there's a snap photo button, which also doesn't do shit. Which means I can't even take a screenshot of the item in the right orientation with an easy to edit plain gray background because the popup or overlay thingy is in the way.

I figured maybe the photo thingy was frozen for some reason so I quit the program and restarted. Well, tried to. One try, there's no such project, next try the API files (from mere minutes ago?) are too old, next it just crashes without knowing why and when it finally opened again (after I also tried restarting the computer) it opened in photoStudio, which is still useless and now I don't know how to get back to my previous stuff. :argh:

I also tried taking the screenshot for the icons in Blender but there I can apply texture, adjust camera and what not, but not actually see a rendered image? :dumb: I must be such a total idiot. :( Maybe it's time I gave Creedfall another try. I played it once, this morning (around 6 am when I couldn't sleep) and I didn't even make it out of port before I died (the whole premise is that you're leaving for a mysterious island...) :pout:

23 Jun 2021 15:23 #35463 by Charlotte
Today I went back to my first simple mod and managed to simplify it further as it turned out the thing I initially did which didn't work, didn't work because I had, somehow, managed to write down several words wrong... :dry:
(Instead of modules/production/productionDescription I had written module/product/productDescription - I must have been sleepy at the time).

That done I wrangled Unity for a bit until it looked normal again. The photoStudio thing still isn't working so I took a screenshot and made the thumbnails in ArtRage. Made my first asset bundle, made the two json files that are needed, double checked the tutorial, renamed some files and redid the asset bundle and tried the mod. And.... besides a bunch or errors.... all mods went poof? I mean, they still exist but none of them show up in the in game mod view. :huh:

I've tried removing one file at a time from the mod folder, to see if I can pinpoint the problem file but.... nah. The code snippets in the json files are basically copy and paste, with like the names exchanged, and I've counted and re-counted the number of brackets. I've NO idea what's wrong. I mean, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work as intended anyway, because I think the 3D model will need some adjustments in position and such.... but.... *sigh* this is tiresome.

And it seems I just promised to dog sit, tomorrow. 🐶 Well, that's hopefully more rewarding than this! :p

23 Jun 2021 16:12 #35464 by Valence

I've counted and re-counted the number of brackets.

That brings back some horrible memories from that shoddy point-and-click game I tried to make. :lol:

And did the cats agree to this dog sitting? :dry:

23 Jun 2021 16:22 - 23 Jun 2021 16:26 #35465 by Charlotte
The cats are blissfully unaware.

(Edit: I should point out that the sitting will be done at the dog's place, not mine)

23 Jun 2021 16:26 #35466 by Valence
Cats are never unaware. :paranoid:

23 Jun 2021 16:26 #35467 by Charlotte
oops my edit was too late :P

23 Jun 2021 16:45 #35468 by Valence
They can still sense the betrayal and are already plotting revenge. :stare:

23 Jun 2021 18:45 #35471 by Charlotte
If so, they are superbly sneaky about it.... :paranoid: