April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

06 Aug 2021 12:53 #35870 by Charlotte
Aw... It's alright. I probably whined about pretty much the same things over at the Dionic's forum :p

and the flickering is bad. Not going to extend the railings...

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Aug 2021 14:21 #35872 by Charlotte
:hmm:
I looked at some examples in the mod kit and it seems fences are built with the fence posts entirely separate (i.e. separate .blend files), so now I do have to decide whether I should care about that or not :dry:

and looking at one of those fence posts it's definitely rendered smooth (not just the surface shading but I can see the shape bend smoothly under an angular wireframe... :huh:) - I didn't even know this was possible. I'm annoyed enough at the shading smooth always looking the same and smoothing even the edges I want to keep sharp. I've played around and tried some things (like stuff that's CALLED mark edge as sharp or something similar) but to no effect. I saw a tutorial ages ago about using a modifier but the modifier doesn't make sense and mostly just distorts the shape beyond recognition.

These things, btw, have been mentioned before :P But they might have been during that 2 week gap.

06 Aug 2021 14:38 #35873 by Valence
I vaguely remember having to mark edges as seams for that awkward UV unwrapping thing, and for stitching when using the cloth simulation, but I don't remember ever having to use it for smoothing. The auto smoothing option always seemed to do the trick for me but I guess that always depends on the type of model you're making. :)

06 Aug 2021 14:40 - 06 Aug 2021 14:41 #35874 by Charlotte
Well, just "shade smooth" does too much, but I just found an auto-smoothing slider under "object data properties - normals" where I could reduce it :)

06 Aug 2021 14:42 #35875 by Banj
In most applications it is referred to as Smoothing Groups. I have no idea what Blender does in this regard.

06 Aug 2021 15:38 - 06 Aug 2021 16:05 #35876 by Charlotte
And now I hate Blender again.
I've been using loop cuts to shape all sorts of things like a million times and suddenly I must have clicked something somewhere (or the cats stepped on something) and now it will only cut single edges instead of the entire shape. :stare:
(and it's nothing to do with whether I use vertex, edge or face select... *sigh*)

EDIT: And now it works again, with a new cube. :dry:

06 Aug 2021 19:21 #35877 by Charlotte
I opted out of using fence posts (my "balusters" are spaced evenly, it's just the corners that might look a bit odd) but did rework one of the models. Into two models. And redid for all three colours. (that is, I changed the model and saved three times for each...)

Now what was I going to say? :hmm:
Oh yes... Should I be a perfectionist and adjust all the thumbnails in which it seems my fences/balustrades get longer and longer and hence bigger than the once already in the game, or should I just leave 'em....? Maybe I'll sleep on it. :dry:

06 Aug 2021 19:48 #35878 by Banj

Now what was I going to say? :hmm:
Oh yes... Should I be a perfectionist and adjust all the thumbnails in which it seems my fences/balustrades get longer and longer and hence bigger than the once already in the game, or should I just leave 'em....? Maybe I'll sleep on it. :dry:

So... you are on the fence about it 

06 Aug 2021 19:50 #35879 by Charlotte

07 Aug 2021 19:27 #35889 by Charlotte
Speaking of fences, it seems I need to make them all slightly taller. Not sure exactly how much taller unfortunately... :hmm: The game shades them as if they are walls of a lesser height than actual walls... Which makes some ugly shadows at the moment, most obviously on the light wood railing towards the bottom left. (Perhaps I don't need to fix them all?)

And yesterday and today I have been making floors. Quite happy with the three first - not so happy with the cobblestones... Not sure if it'd help to just change the texture or if I should scrap it. (The grey wall to the right and the cobbles with bluish arcs are game items, not mine)

Attachments: