April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Adventures across the 3rd dimension

12 Aug 2021 17:05 #35966 by Banj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2021 09:14 #35972 by Charlotte
Might be. I just attached the vertices to new faces and deleted the faces which deleted the vertices too. And some other faces that weren't even involved. And then I redid those faces. :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Aug 2021 11:35 #35974 by Banj
Well that works too I guess.

13 Aug 2021 11:36 #35975 by Valence
Sounds like a very efficient method. :lol:

13 Aug 2021 12:46 #35976 by Charlotte
It's like when I draw lines in ArtRage. Draw. Erase. Draw back in. Erase a bit again. Draw some more...

20 Aug 2021 14:55 #36087 by Charlotte
I think I hate staircases. Or at least the railings. Because the railing needs to line up with my balustrades at top and bottom, the ends can't be adjusted in height. And of course I got it into my head that the balusters of the railing (or whatever you call 'em) should be placed on the steps. Which means that the first one is the height of the end post minus a step, while the last one is the post plus a step. And after spending ages adjusting each friggin' baluster separately because the slope isn't  "conventient" and every single one needs to be a different height, I hate the result. :facepalm:

and in the end, I might be the only person in the entire world who ever cares.... :dry: In game you will hardly ever take a good enough look at the stuff to notice....

Attachments:

20 Aug 2021 15:06 #36088 by Valence
Do the steps in the game not align vertically with the grid?

I'd be tempted to just have one post on each step then surely you'd be able to duplicate that one? :hmm:

20 Aug 2021 15:12 - 20 Aug 2021 15:14 #36089 by Charlotte
Not sure what you mean by the steps aligning.... but I had one post per step for the stone one. When I looked at inspiration before doing the balustrades, I noticed that there was basically room for one stone, two wood or three iron balusters per step. So when I did the balustrades I spaced them accordingly on purpose. I want to keep the same spacing since it should match. I could put them on a slope that's parallell to the railing.... but then the steps wouldn't match up with the slope. (Basically the steps should go up the same height as the railing but on a shorter distance, so the slop isn't the same....and making it the same would cause other issues...)

In reality, I think most lower posts would be on the first step or simply made taller, but then it wouldn't line up with the balustrades.... :argh:

EDIT: And of course any changes now would mean reworking every single dang baluster again. Or deleting them all and copy pasting the old ones... (from the balustrade file)

20 Aug 2021 15:25 #36090 by Valence
I meant that the bottom of the smaller posts don't align with the grid squares. It looks like each step is slightly less than three grid squares in height.

20 Aug 2021 15:33 #36091 by Charlotte
it is. The height of the steps is 0.2875 m, and the gridlines show at every dm. On my first staircase (or second? since I had to scrap the very first) I made the steps 3 dm high - or a bit more I think, but it just didn't work out at all and I had to rework the entire staircase and add one more step... so I went with the same number this time... (the stairs are 3 m "deep" and 2.3 m high....)