April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

29 Dec 2015 03:43 #13092 by Atto
A little something I was just playing around with - a little left field and still quite a naive attempt but thought I'd throw it in to see what you guys think.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Dec 2015 01:30 #13098 by Atto
A quick study before I sign off for 2015. Hope you all have a fantastic New Year, peace and love to you and yours.

Attachments:

31 Dec 2015 10:05 #13099 by Charlotte
Happy New Year to you too! :)

I like the technique with the square brush you have above. It gives a somewhat traditional feel with more textural interest. Not crazy about the added font though - perhaps it'd work better if that too looked a bit traditional. Kind of like a collage, with edges (maybe ripped, maybe cut out letters?). Just a thought :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

31 Dec 2015 14:10 #13101 by Valence
Two nice pieces of work there, Atto. Love the warmth of the second one and the anguish of the first.
I agree that the text is unnecessary. My first thought on seeing it was: Five pounds is less than what?! :)

01 Jan 2016 21:00 #13112 by Atto
Thanks both - and yeah I have no idea where I was going with that text.....a lesson to never drink too much while drawing. Still got it saved as layers so I'll edit it down and have another look.

The second image has some weird fuzziness to the top of the head area in the highly saturated red colour. This wasn't on the original so does anyone know of an issue with jpegs that may account for this? I noticed a little on my entry for the dragon slayer challenge too. I'll look into my jpeg save settings but in the meantime has anyone encountered a similar issue?
Thanks in advance.

01 Jan 2016 21:35 #13115 by Charlotte
I think some red colours occassionally "bleed" (no pun intended) when saved at lower quality (such as a jpg) but I'm not sure.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

01 Jan 2016 22:44 #13117 by crankshaft
Wow great work! Some critique: on the left bottom side of the image I think adding a soften transition between the shadow side of the red and the lit rim light would help show more form. Also it's a rather hard edge which goes against the soft material of the clothes. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

02 Jan 2016 00:49 #13122 by Atto
A little more on this one:
Man I suck at texturing up backgrounds....

Attachments:

02 Jan 2016 01:22 #13123 by Atto
Reworked my Anguished Man again too but before I post it I wanted you guys to see part of the inspiration behind what I was trying to do with it.

So the first ones Phil Hale (well obviously its not mine ;) )

Attachments:

09 Jan 2016 03:37 - 09 Jan 2016 03:40 #13151 by crankshaft
Excellent work. I like the soft blurry background. I think the left hand could use a slightly darker and wider occlusion shadow since it's under the chin. That would help push the hand back more.