April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

02 Sep 2015 23:03 - 02 Sep 2015 23:04 #12206 by Atto
Thought I would start a sketchbook thread as the studies etc I intend to work on aren't really wips.

There are still some anatomy and proportion issues to the following but I want to post in order to see (if) how I'm improving. As always crit is more than welcomed.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Sep 2015 07:38 #12214 by Yian
My critic to you here is the same I offered in another thread. Don't think about painting. Do some drawings first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

03 Sep 2015 22:35 #12222 by Valence
I rather like the lighting in the second one. Yes, there are some proportional issues like the position of the left side eye and the detailing of the nose (and I'm no expert on doing noses either!) but the way the light falls off across the right side cheek is very well observed.

05 Sep 2015 09:27 #12234 by Atto
Thanks for the comments,

Yian- I know, I know ;) I'm doing those too! but I dont want to focus exclusively on drawings as I finally feel I.m getting somewhere with my painting.

Val- Thanks, that was one of the reasons I chose this study - Im currently looking for a study to do with some stronger highlights and darker ambient light eg a single light bulb as a source or in front of a bright window. A friend of mine did a pencil sketch of himself to illustrate the song 'Cast No Shadow' by Oasis that worked realy well.

K, so on with the studies -
A simple sketch in an attempt to improve my anatomy - may end up rendering just the one arm (sorry Yian)

Attachments:

05 Sep 2015 15:16 - 05 Sep 2015 15:21 #12235 by Atto
More drawing practice
I think both her elbows are out (the fore one too rounded and the rear too thick) and her near shoulder looks a little small.
I also think her far eye is slightly off, I always struggle with eyes so if someone could let be know would be gratefully received.
Hope her nose is a little better in this one Val.

Attachments:

05 Sep 2015 15:33 #12236 by Atto
And something a little looser:

Attachments:

06 Sep 2015 13:18 #12237 by Valence
The only thing that really stands out in the first image is the small narrow shoulder, and you've already spotted that.
At first glance, as a thumbnail, the nose looked a little long but on closer examination this is probably due to the underlying sketch and construction lines which has left a dark area above the lips. You could still raise the tip of the nose to show more of the nostrils but that decision has more to do with what "type" of face you want to do rather than being strictly an anatomy issue.
But it has to be said that with this and the previous sketch, you have picked the most difficult angle from which to draw the nose! You're not afraid to jump in at the deep end.:)
I like the second picture too. There's a clear sense of gravity pulling on all those fleshy forms and the facial expression is equally appropriate to the character.

07 Sep 2015 21:27 #12240 by Atto
Thanks for the feedback again Val-
I noticed that with the nose on the second image after posting but agree its probably the underlying sketch that is making it look that way. I was a little concerned that the last image didn't read very clearly but thanks for your kind words, that sense of gravity is what I was going for.

07 Sep 2015 23:18 #12242 by Atto
More anatomy

Attachments:

08 Sep 2015 01:15 - 08 Sep 2015 01:16 #12243 by Atto
Found this on deviant art today, my next series of studies in an attempt to understand more about lighting the face.

In the meantime:

Attachments: