April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Attos' Sketchbook and Studies NSFW Nudity

15 Jan 2016 02:20 #13178 by Atto
As a break from the New Dawn Wip I started a new study and started to play around a little. So.............yes, its a topless girl in a gas mask with mickey mouse ears and no, I don't know why. :?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Jan 2016 04:23 #13185 by crankshaft
Nice work. The first thing that stood out to me would be the area just below her breasts. It looks like it sticks out too much and not correct anatomy wise. It also looks way too bright. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

18 Jan 2016 01:47 #13192 by Atto
Not much of an update on this but I seem to have been working on it for hours with very little to show for it. Still, I'm away for a few days now so I'll see y'all when I get back.

Attachments:

23 Jan 2016 03:48 #13210 by crankshaft
Nice work. I would double check the perspective of the centre vent. Also the canister on our right looks way to big, almost premature. Lastly I would check her right hand, her pinky looks too long and skinny.

24 Jan 2016 02:47 #13215 by Atto
Thanks Crank - You're absolutely spot on about the ribs and the central vent of her mask I think I've fixed them. Her pinky was also looking a little long and skinny as you say but that was more to do with the rough shading on her hand I think than an anatomy issue. I know the canister is a little large and I've emphasised the perspective on it but I quite like that. It was intentional in an attempt to try and make it appear a little more comic bookey.
Nearly there I think - this has taken a lot longer than I intended but I'm starting to get a little happier with the result.

Attachments:

28 Jan 2016 16:34 - 28 Jan 2016 16:35 #13234 by Atto
Not entirely sure where else to take this one so....
Calling it done.

Attachments:

28 Jan 2016 20:43 #13235 by Valence
The cool light from the right side is a nice touch. It adds just enough dimension to the figure to give a sense of the position in space

29 Jan 2016 01:48 #13236 by Atto
Thanks Val, though that was on the ref image so I can't take credit for it too much.
The most successful part for me is the hand up by her mask. I'm actually really enjoying painting hands right now, who would have thought that when it seems like only a few weeks ago I was moaning about how much I hated them :cheer:
The other reason I really wanted to do this study was I always really struggle with anything man made and though it lacks some detail I feel her mask came out quite nicely. It's a learning curve eh?

29 Jan 2016 14:29 #13238 by Valence
Reference or not, you still have to paint it and you painted it well.
Sadly I'm still afeard of hands and there's no getting over it!
For me it's not so much a learning curve, more like a learning plateau where you just try to avoid the snakes that send you sliding back to square one. :lol: Or perhaps like a treadmill where you have to work hard and run really fast just to stay in the same place. :)
Actually I think hands are one of your strong points. Even in the early sketches you get a good sense of the complicated shapes made by the gestures and poses. I wish I could get them down that quick.

29 Jan 2016 19:24 #13241 by Charlotte
Those hands look great :) I think your studies from references look quite good in the blocking in of light and shadow, but I also think your skin tones look a bit pasty.... Perhaps your just not there yet, but otherwise I'd recommend adding a warmer tone especially on the edges between light and shadow. I did a quick and rather sloppy paintover with a warm orange colour and then setting the layer to colour blend... I hope you agree it adds a little something to the skin tone! (originally a tip from Marta Dahlig ;) )

(sorry for not providing feedback on the mask but I'm not at all good with such things :P I think the details look good but the shape of the "back of the head area" needs work still)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments: