April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

20 Mar 2019 21:30 #24182 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming
I've never played any Metal Gear Solid games. However I do know that they have a reputation for far too many cutscenes and some completely absurd characters. Wasn't there one called Laughing Octopus? Or something like that. :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Mar 2019 07:15 #24184 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
I can't keep track of all the games we're discussing anymore :p
Which ones are Metal Gear Solid?

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

21 Mar 2019 12:34 #24187 by Valence
It's something to do with a snake. That's solid. And sneaks about. :confident:

And now here's a 40 minute cut scene.

21 Mar 2019 12:38 #24188 by Charlotte
There's a snake (statue, does that count as solid?) in the witcher too... :dry: It doesn't sneak about, though. It just symbolises medicine. (So you'll know you're near the hospital)

21 Mar 2019 12:40 #24189 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming
I've only played the first couple of Metal Gear Solid games, but I'd like to get the rest of the series some time. They are very silly but very entertaining. Cut scenes go on for weeks, but they actually have game play as well (unlike those cinematic games that let you press a button between cut scenes to try and convince you you're playing a game).

21 Mar 2019 20:57 - 21 Mar 2019 21:03 #24191 by Charlotte
Saw an ad for an "official GoT" game, and decided to give it a go.
Turns out it's one of those "click here, click here, click here, click here" games with all buildings having predetermined placements. Hate those. (OK so it's mostly the tutorial I guess, but just telling someone to click a button without explaining why or letting them look around for themselves is crappy "tutorialistics")

Well that was "chapter 1" - there must be some option to think for oneself eventually because I do see people chatting. Mostly about the TV series rather than the game, though...

EDIT: yup, some way into chapter 2 Melisandre steps back. Also Varys appears and tells you he'll be your commander (Pardon me, but if I'm in charge, shouldn't I be telling HIM that??? And commander? Isn't he a spy and intrigue-ist....???)

Game window closed, never to be opened again.

21 Mar 2019 21:33 - 21 Mar 2019 21:35 #24192 by Valence
Sounds a bit dull. I'm not sure what would make a "good" GoT game. :hmm: Probably not a pixelly, pointy-click one. ;)
But now I've said that, it is quite a "talky" show. Maybe I should get scripting again. "Push Bran out of Window", "Pick-up Ned's Head", "Use Prostitute on Dwarf" :lol:

Meanwhile... I'm still struggling with WASD keys. I've even had to google it for help to see which fingers I'm supposed to be using. :facepalm: In my efforts to avoid using the keyboard I rummaged around in a cupboard to find an old joystick :) but it's so old that those ports are not supported anymore. :( I'm sure I'll get used to those keys and my left hand. Eventually.

I did have a look at that free episode of Life Is Strange. I have seen it played on YouTube using a crappy spec PC but Steam does say it's not recommended so I won't push my luck. *sniffs the graphics chip for burning odours*
And now that I'm finally on Steam I know about things like all those Tomb Raider games going cheap. And I'm tempted.

22 Mar 2019 11:50 #24193 by Banj

Meanwhile... I'm still struggling with WASD keys. I've even had to google it for help to see which fingers I'm supposed to be using. :facepalm: In my efforts to avoid using the keyboard I rummaged around in a cupboard to find an old joystick :) but it's so old that those ports are not supported anymore. :( I'm sure I'll get used to those keys and my left hand. Eventually.

Most of the time your middle finger is doing the work pushing W to move forward, and occasionally moving back to the S to reverse.

Actually, didn't you say you have an X-Box? you can just plug the controller from that in and use it on your PC if it's more comfortable.

22 Mar 2019 12:49 #24194 by Valence
Although that works with the 360, the original XBox had a proprietary plug/socket despite the fact that it's still effectively a USB "inside." I've just had a search and there are some solutions but they all seem to involve cutting and modding the cables/wiring or using dodgy-looking "homemade" adapters from eBay. :lol:

I think I'll keep practising my WASD.
Not being a great typist, I have a tendency to just use one finger for everything and once I lift that finger off a key I can't find another key without looking at it. Which is obviously not ideal when gaming. :)
My third finger on "A" doesn't seem to be quite as nimble as my other fingers and that seems to be when everything goes wrong in the heat of battle. I need to stop sidestepping and just charge forwards in a kamikaze style. :pirate:

22 Mar 2019 12:56 #24197 by Banj
Ah, I see. I didn't realise we were talking earlier than 360. :aha: