April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Gaming

26 Mar 2019 18:51 #24246 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Gaming

Mmm, you know what's better than another launcher?

Another launcher that doesn't even work! :rage:
And looking at all the google search results, it's not just me that's getting the eternal black screen either. :eyeroll:
I've now tried all the "fixes" and surprisingly they don't seem to "fix" it. It's all rather shambolic really.
*goes back to driving/StarWars games*

Well, er, on the plus side you didn't pay anything for it :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Mar 2019 19:46 #24247 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Gaming

*sticks to dying every so often*

*sticks to dying inside* :lol:

Unlike a lot of other people I have managed to enter the redeem code and the game does show up as a transaction in my account. I hear they've extended the offer until Sunday, or perhaps indefinitely until they eventually level up and acquire some competence. :)
I have to admit that it is an evil kind of fun watching everyone abuse them on Twitter and Reddit for their glorious ineptitude.

26 Mar 2019 23:04 - 26 Mar 2019 23:23 #24248 by Valence
Three hours later...

MORROWIND!!! :excited:

"Move along, Outlander." :giggle:
"Say your words!" :)
"N'Wah!!" :ohmy:
And all my other favourite soundbites.
It seems like I have been chosen again. Goodbye spare hours, goodbye.

Edit: And now I'm wondering, should I mod it to make it look a little less ancient? Can you even do that with these "launcher-DRM" games?

Has anyone else here ever tried installing mods to a game? I think I'd be a bit scared to tinker with game files even though the updated graphics do look significantly better. :hmm:

27 Mar 2019 08:01 #24249 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Gaming
Only mod files I've downloaded are for a game called Foundation (that not yet finished city building game I played before starting on Witcher). And the only reason was that I was considering learning to make my own. Which I then quickly proceeded to never do.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

27 Mar 2019 19:23 - 27 Mar 2019 19:23 #24254 by Valence

But one downside of getting Morrowind again is having to play through that difficult first hour one more time. Die, fetcher!

Second time around, it doesn't seem quite as tough when you actually know what you're doing. :lol:
And I stole the famous Limeware Platter this time! :evil:

It seems you can mod the game just fine. I only did the patches and bug-fixes rather than a full overhaul. I did download the graphics extender but, after reading up on it, those fancy shaders do seem to be a bit too much without a graphics card. But even the vanilla looks better than that XBox version and it doesn't have the variable frame rate either. I may try some of the HD textures later though. :hmm:
Also if you create the desktop shortcut from the game's executable file then you don't have to use that awful, buggy, Bethesda Launcher! :thumbup:

The only problem now is that I've gone two whole days without painting. :(
Maybe tomorrow. Maybe Morrowind. :)

27 Mar 2019 19:25 #24255 by Charlotte
tomorrowind

27 Mar 2019 21:05 #24257 by Valence
:lol:
Perhaps that should be the unofficial sequel.

I noticed that the actual sequel (Oblivion) along with the other Elder Scrolls games, was reduced to half price on Steam. They were obviously trying to take advantage of all those technical difficulties to tempt people without patience. :)

27 Mar 2019 21:24 #24259 by Charlotte
should've said twomorrowind :P

28 Mar 2019 21:17 #24261 by Valence
Today I thought it was time to get back into the habit of painting and after a bit of scribbling I drew this face....

Naah, who am I kidding? I'm still modding Morrowind! :woohoo:

It's hard to believe that just a couple of days ago I was a bit scared of tinkering and now I'm throwing all kinds of stuff in that Data folder and I've even learned what anisotropic filtering does. :lol:
I confirmed that all those fancy shaders kill my framerate (but I really don't need/want that HDR gimmick or AO and that bloom effect isn't really worth it. Sun rays would be nice but... :shrug:) However I do like the real time shadows and having a bit of animated grass getting in the way is a nice touch. And I've managed to map some keys to the graphics settings so that I can toggle them during the game if I need a framerate boost.
Overall it's not quite as pretty as some of the showoff screenshots that modders like to post but even so, there are moments during a nice sunset that make it easy to forget it's a patched up 17 year old game.
Elsewhere I've upgraded the body meshes so that they don't look like segmented, wooden puppets and now I just need to fiddle with the faces and hairstyles and then I'll be ready to actually play the thing! :)

And when that happens I'll be making an early trip to Balmora now that I know where you can steal the Sword Of White Woe.

30 Mar 2019 00:12 #24267 by Charlotte
Grrrrr I just hate it when I lose a fight, look up online what to do and they tell me it's a piece of cake, and then I lose again. And again. And again. I am getting VERY proficient at dying. I think I've used up to 6 or 7 witcher potions to gain strength and resist stun and bleeding, and increase vitality etc, but just like that, my vitality is down to almost nothing and then Geralt stops moving. And all i can do is wait for him to die.

I've noticed I get some hang ups with the right mouse key (used to cast "signs"/spells) and I've noticed that sometimes he just keeps missing and missing and missing with his sword. So I googled mouse key issues for thew Witcher and it seems I'm not alone. Though since this is the "enhanced version" and they had issues as early as 2011 you'd think they'd found a fix by now... The lack of anything happening when clicking the right mouse key plays quite a large part in my losing this fight. :pout:

*goes to bed all grumpy like*