May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Totally Random

04 Sep 2016 12:45 #14471 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
Aww hugs :( get a MacBook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Sep 2016 12:45 #14472 by kazky
And the rest of that message should have said 'cue the debate'

04 Sep 2016 12:46 #14473 by kazky
This not being able to post properly is driving me mad!

04 Sep 2016 14:54 #14475 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

get a MacBook

She said she wanted one good enough for painting and gaming :whistle:

04 Sep 2016 15:34 #14476 by kazky

get a MacBook

She said she wanted one good enough for painting and gaming :whistle:

Shush you

04 Sep 2016 16:22 #14478 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
Dunno much about gaming or Macs, but buying any new machine is tough these days with desktops, laptops, touchscreens, hybrids, then there's the bigger pro-style tablets and the ones that come with their own stylus pens.
There's just too much choice.
Makes me glad I don't have money to worry about it. :lol:
Well, sort of glad. :unsure:

05 Sep 2016 07:23 - 05 Sep 2016 07:26 #14482 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
I know Valence. I wish I had a list of like 3 to choose from :P Not 300 or whatever... I have been considering a hybrid but not really sure what the tablet advantage over a laptop is, really? I mean tablets came along as simpler laptops didn't they? I think... :?

Anyhow, laptops and desktops seem to cost about the same these days, so I think I'll want a laptop but be able to connect it to screen and keyboard etc at home. And then we get to docking stations, which seem to be outdated now? Or just no good for the gaming laptops... or something.... I'm totally confused. I asked my brother to help (he's the family expert after all) but he's not always very fast at getting back to me :P

EDIT: and of course if I need a docking station and perhaps an external CD-drive for old installation discs that'll cost extra, too.
Good thing is I managed to resurrect my computer long enough yesterday to make a backup copy of my documents folder (been real sloppy with backups... :blush: )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Sep 2016 11:55 #14484 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

Good thing is I managed to resurrect my computer long enough yesterday to make a backup copy of my documents folder (been real sloppy with backups... :blush: )

In that case I would try formatting the drive and reinstalling the OS from scratch. Is this a laptop or desktop?

05 Sep 2016 17:39 #14486 by Charlotte
current one is a desktop. and yeah i've brought out the old recovery discs but havent tried using them yet... guess i should. assuming the puter reacts to them even when it just makes awful noises... (it did awful noises long before this all started after all)

24 Sep 2016 18:02 - 24 Sep 2016 19:18 #14597 by Charlotte
today I've managed to clear my desk ( :woohoo: ) and set up keyboard, screen etc with the new computer. Can't quite get to grips with the screen though. It looks weird and blurry - earlier I thought everything looked big, but now I think it looks like it's been shrunk. The colors are also way too bright on my big screen but I can't seem to change the settings to something that works better :unsure:

Also I hoped to use split screens so I could have e.g. reference pics on the small one. But I seem to be able to choose between using one or the other, but not both. If I choose "extend" everything ends up on the laptop and I just get the desktop bg on the big screen :P I guess there's a way to change it all somewhere. But right now I'd be happy if text and stuff looked OK :dry:

Any tips and advice are welcome, as usual :P

EDIT: Also, if I mouse-over anything with a link it makes the whole screen "flicker" (everything sort of moves about as if hovering makes the text size of the link different - but it's literally the whole page not just that word)

EDIT2: and then the computer got the blue screen (yes that issue is continuing on the new computer, but the new one finishes the restart instead of just freezing) and once had started up again the text looked like it should. Though the "flickering" keeps happening... Anyway I guess it reset the screen resolution somehow...