May challenge - Alien excavation

Deadline for entry:

April challenge Voting open!

Totally Random

18 Jul 2016 13:33 #14145 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Totally Random
So I've heard an advert twice saying the Desolation of Smaug is on Sky movies now, it's not, they lied and its angered me because I wanted to watch it this weekend.

Instead i had to go walk round the local forest, with my doggoo, which I normally like....but heat..... Sky made me do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Jul 2016 13:40 #14146 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random

It was a little better than the first film, but still not particularly good.

First Star Wars and now this? You're a tough crowd, Banj. :lol: What was the last, most recent film that did appeal to you? (I think Ex Machina is the best I've seen out of recent years.)

I rather enjoyed the second Hobbit. Sure, the Laketown sequences were a little long but there was nothing like that turgid, never-ending party of the first film. The barrel bits made me laugh, Gandalf's encounter with the Necromancer was a very well done effect and it was a damn good dragon. Way better than that strange-tongued Sean Connery thing in Dragonheart! Which is the only other speaking dragon I can remember :lol:
Also it was very brave to do such a bleak ending, although it doesn't help the start of the third one. :nope:

Kazky: I'm sure dogoo loved it! But heat is evil. Always.

18 Jul 2016 13:58 #14147 by kazky
I did enjoy Ex Machina, although I disliked her in the end. i won't say any more so I don't give any spoilers.

18 Jul 2016 14:00 - 18 Jul 2016 14:04 #14148 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

So I've heard an advert twice saying the Desolation of Smaug is on Sky movies now, it's not, they lied and its angered me because I wanted to watch it this weekend.

It was on ITV yesterday. The only time I ever go near ITV is if there is a film on that I haven't seen.

First Star Wars and now this? You're a tough crowd, Banj. :lol: What was the last, most recent film that did appeal to you? (I think Ex Machina is the best I've seen out of recent years.)

I have actually been wondering that myself. I saw Elysium the other day as well, and that was even worse than either of the other two mentioned. I haven't seen Ex Machina, but I am interested in watching it.

EDIT - I saw Life of Pi recently for the first time and I enjoyed that.

18 Jul 2016 14:40 #14153 by kazky
Now i'm even more annoyed, i rarely watch ITV!

I went to the cinema to watch Life of Pi when it came out and disliked it, purely because I wasn't expecting it to be what it was, I recently watched it again and really enjoyed it.

18 Jul 2016 14:47 #14154 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random
I saw Wreck it Ralph over Christmas, and I remember when I came out everything I saw about it made it look terrible. When I watched it I really enjoyed it and found it completely different from what I was expecting. I liked Brave as well (also watched over Christmas), and liked that too, although the moral of the tale appeared to be that young girls should learn to sew and behave like girly princesses (which seems a dubious message to me).

18 Jul 2016 15:35 #14158 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
noooo the moral of the tale was she didn't have to get married! :P and that you shouldn't turn your mommy into a bear.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Jul 2016 15:36 #14159 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Totally Random
btw I really REALLY enjoyed Deadpool. But I've already mentioned that. :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

18 Jul 2016 17:05 #14160 by kazky
I've yet to watch Deadpool, hoping to this weekend, my fav movie for a while though is Guardians of the Galaxy, just love it, as usual I was very late to the guardians party

18 Jul 2016 20:39 #14164 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
There's far too much dancing in Guardians... (I didn't even like the dance scene in Ex Machina! Keep dancing out of movies, I say.)
Life Of Pi is absolutely beautiful to look at but that ending is awkward in the way that it invalidates all that went before (I felt similarly cheated halfway through Gone Girl. And that refers to both books as well as films.)

I think Wreck It Ralph is enjoyable purely for the game where you spot the old video game reference in the background. I got stupidly excited when I noticed Tapper! :woohoo: (One of the first games I remember playing, but not the very first. That was that silly toothbrush game that came with a Spectrum 48. I think it was called Molar Maul, or something. Digression over.)

And I've just remembered that other recent movie that I really liked. Predestination. I knew nothing about it and had never even heard of it but was instantly intrigued by it. It's a bit talky and you should work out at least one of the many twists before they happen but, if you go along with it, it really messes with your head.