April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Totally Random

04 Apr 2016 10:26 - 04 Apr 2016 11:46 #13632 by Banj
Replied by Banj on topic Totally Random

Bottom row middle is a (small) boat dragging three yellow barrels and the last one with the tiny script you can't read says "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".

Now you say that it seems obvious, and I think I've even seen that Jaws one before :facepalm: (The Shining one looked like Chinese from here though).

And up on the second row I think I spy the robot with the best ever name... Klaatu. The old one, obviously. Actually I've no idea what the more recent version looked like. :unsure: Keanu Reeves makes me avoid most of his films.

I hate to tell you, but Klaatu is the character played by Michael Rennie and later Keanu Reeves, the robot was Gort (although I don't think he was actually named in the remake, and you haven't missed much by not seeing it).

The rest as far as I know top to bottom, left to right are...

1. I think he's just known as the gunslinger from Westworld.
2. A Centurion from BSG.
3. No idea, maybe V'Ger from Star Trek the Motion Picture (not that I've ever thought of that as a robot?)?
4. K9 :shakefist:
5. Not sure.
6. Either Dewey or Louie from Silent Running (Huey was taller).
7. C3PO.
8. The Iron Giant ("Supermaaannn").
9. That would be Robot or Robbie from The Forbidden Planet.
10. er, Mechagodzilla?
11. Don't know but I think it's from an animated series or film.
12. Gort.
13. The terminator.
14. erm, could be ED209, but it's not very clear.
15. Another one of those.
16. Don't know.
17. Maximillian from The Black Hole.
18. It's an Astromech, I'll take a guess and say it's R2-D2 :P
19. Not sure.
20. Bender from Futurama.
21. Robocop? (surely he's a cyborg, not a robot)
22. Maria from Metropolis?
23. What Valence said.
24. It looks like Marvin from Hitch-Hiker's Guide (BBC TV).
25. Vincent from The Black Hole (or it could be Bob).
26. Don't know.
27 Wall-E.
28. The robot that Wall-E was inspired by, Jonny 5 from Short Circuit.

I knew more of those than I thought I did.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Apr 2016 11:26 - 04 Apr 2016 11:31 #13633 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random
Klaatu wasn't the robot!? :shock: :horror: :dementia:
It's many a year since I saw that film but I always remember the robot being Klaatu and Michael Rennie being a mysterious nameless character.
It's very strange how I can clearly recall things wrongly. :lol:

Number 3 is Nomad from the old Star Trek episode "The Changeling.", the plot of which was recycled for The Motion Picture. Although I'm slightly disappointed that the silhouette doesn't show the "invisible" fishing line they used to move the robot around in front of the camera. :)

Edit: Is number 15 from *batteries not included?

04 Apr 2016 11:42 - 04 Apr 2016 11:49 #13634 by Banj

Edit: Is number 15 from *batteries not included?

Yes, that would be it. I appear to have my numbering screwed up somehow, because I had that as number 16 (not that I could remember what it was).

EDIT - Numbering fixed. I had apparently decided that the number 8 was unnecessary and omitted it, moving from 7 to 9.

Another edit - the one next to that is one of the robot police from THX1138. Had to zoom in to work out what it was.

04 Apr 2016 16:30 - 04 Apr 2016 16:36 #13635 by Atto
Replied by Atto on topic Totally Random
Wow guys your knowledge is really impressive! You got way more than I did.
I thought 11 was another from Batteries not included but I'm really not sure.
Maria from Metropolis is I think a good call and I had no idea that Wall-E was inspired by Johnny 5.

So next, and this one for me was exceedingly difficult:
Weapons.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

04 Apr 2016 16:41 - 04 Apr 2016 16:42 #13636 by Atto
Replying to myself :huh: oh dear!

The ones I think I know:
1. Blaster from Star Wars
3. Pulse Rifle from Aliens
9. The 5th Element?
16. The Black Hole?
19. Deckards pistol from Bladerunner
25. Noisy Cricket

You must be able to do better than that!

04 Apr 2016 18:01 #13637 by Banj
I'm not so hot on guns.

3. Pulse rifle from Aliens.
7. Han Solo's Mauser.
9. Zurg Industries gun form 5th Element.
10. Sandman blaster from Logan's Run.
11. Mal's gun from Firefly/Serenity.
12. Possibly the "Good Samaritan" from Hellboy.
18. Lawgiver from 94 Judge Dredd.
19. Dekard's PKD blaster ( I have one ).
20 and 21 I recognise but will have to think about.
22. I think is a Phaser from Star Trek.

Other's I'm not sure about.

05 Apr 2016 09:11 - 05 Apr 2016 09:13 #13641 by Banj
Number 2 is Robocop's gun, and I finally remembered 20 which was actually one of my favourite sci-fi gizmos when I was a kid, it's from Space 1999. 21 is still bugging me and I'm trying to resist google's comforting draw.

14 is obviously from the Care Bears movie in that scene where Grumpy Bear takes a flame thrower to the others in a fit of rage.

... and my PKD Blaster

Attachments:

05 Apr 2016 13:26 - 05 Apr 2016 13:32 #13644 by Valence
Replied by Valence on topic Totally Random

You must be able to do better than that!

Nope. I don't know guns. At all!
Apart from the old school phaser the only one that has any familiarity to me is number 16. I'm not even sure what it's from (The Black Hole does sound about right) but I do remember seeing that double-barrel shape on TV as a child and building my own version out of Lego!

Edit: Oh wait, I've just had a brainwave. Is one of them from Babylon 5? Number 24, maybe? I only remember that gun too because it bizarrely seemed to fire lens flares at people.

05 Apr 2016 14:46 #13645 by Atto
That double trigger of the PDK really does give it away eh Banj? I thing yo're correct with No 2 and though I love that scene from the Care Bears I thought 14 was the flamer from Alien.
I thing 6 may be the Gatling Gun Jesse Ventura wields in Predator and I recognise 21 but just can't place it.

Still, onwards and upwards:
Spacecraft
I'm not even going to try numbering this one, in the words of Roy Walker "just say what you see"

Attachments:

05 Apr 2016 15:10 #13646 by Banj

That double trigger of the PDK really does give it away eh Banj? I thing yo're correct with No 2 and though I love that scene from the Care Bears I thought 14 was the flamer from Alien.
I thing 6 may be the Gatling Gun Jesse Ventura wields in Predator and I recognise 21 but just can't place it.

Oddly it's actually the gap between the receiver and the top of the grip that I normally recognize before the dual trigger. I'm a dirty scrub and I Googled to see if I could find the rest. It isn't from care Bears or even Alien, in fact it's not even a flame thrower, it is the gun from District 9. And not only is 16 from The Black Hole, but so is 15. 21 turned out to be the Visitor's gun from V, and valence is correct about the lens flare gun from B5.

I see the Nostromo, Serenity, Vader's Tie Fighter, a regular Tie Fighter, the landing ship from 2001, The Odyssey from 2001, A Cylon Raider, X-Wing, Liberator from Blake's 7 (one of the coolest ships evaaahh), A Mk II (?) Viper from BSG, Eagle from Space 1999 (another of the coolest ships evahhhh), Enterprise, one of the ships from Silent Running, Millennium Falcon, An Imperial whatsit, cuddly toy, Fighter from Buck Rogers (?), a pretty butterfly... a duck doing the backstroke... er. War Bird, Bird of Prey (Klingon/Romulan - I'll leave someone else to debate which way round they should be).