April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN - June 2015 - IT Movie Poster - Pennywise remake - WIPS

21 Jun 2015 22:30 #11443 by microscopi
Thanks Val :woohoo: To be honest, I actually worked on it more then I did, but I didn't like the progress I made a few times and had to start over to an earlier wip. I compare them to see if I actually made it better because sometimes, I get so involved I forget it's not working.

I'm happy with the colors and the lighting is definitely whats making it good right now, my details are messy and everything still. I think I might have some kind of art dyslexia or something as when I look at it while im painting it looks smooth but afterwards its actually quite messy ! aaahh I did better on my last pic though, so hopefully i'm getting over that hurdle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Jun 2015 23:42 - 21 Jun 2015 23:43 #11445 by Susie1981

Hi Guys

Bit more progress, but not so happy yet.
Micro - the multiple eyes thing is freaking me out!
Valance - really love the flaky/rough feeling.
Attachments:

22 Jun 2015 11:21 #11447 by Banj
I decided to rebuild my doodle in 3D. So here's some rough modelling and a stand in temporary paper boat.

Attachments:

22 Jun 2015 12:50 #11448 by Digital Dave
Some very cool works going on for this challenge. Look forward to seeing all the freaky clowns in the finals. :)

Banj, the 3D images above are great. I really like the close-up of the inlet throat & grate. ... Waiting to see how it ties into the theme.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Jun 2015 13:06 #11449 by kazky
Have you not watched IT Dave? you've missed a great movie if not.

The grate etc is a big part of the movie, the brother of one of the main characters is taken by IT through a storm drain, and he was playing with the paper boat his brother made.

22 Jun 2015 13:46 - 22 Jun 2015 18:10 #11450 by Valence
The boat floats down here.

Banj, what software is that? I don't recognise that interface.

Susie: I love that maniacal eye and those hands manage to be a typically jolly clown gesture and yet can also be about to lunge and grab you. There's a creepy and subversive ambiguity about the whole expression.

I've just been doing some research for the text and I've discovered that the font used for the squashed credits at the bottom of all movie posters is called Steel Tongs I have now downloaded and will get "texting" later today.

Edit: The official font is called Steelfish, the one I linked to is a modified version that lets you do those double-line phrases that appear on movie posters.

22 Jun 2015 14:28 - 22 Jun 2015 14:29 #11451 by Digital Dave

Have you not watched IT Dave? you've missed a great movie if not.

The grate etc is a big part of the movie, the brother of one of the main characters is taken by IT through a storm drain, and he was playing with the paper boat his brother made.

You ma'am, that would be correct, I have never seen the movie "IT". ... But have now book-marked it for viewing the next opportunity I get. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

22 Jun 2015 17:37 #11452 by kazky
It looks quite dated now Dave but it was brilliant, it'll be interesting to compare it to the new one.

22 Jun 2015 20:30 #11453 by Banj

Banj, what software is that? I don't recognise that interface.

It's Modo 801.

22 Jun 2015 22:21 - 22 Jun 2015 22:22 #11454 by microscopi
That looks cool with GI Banj, does it take long to render in modo? The design is pretty interesting I like :woohoo:

Susie, looking at your clown I had an idea to expand the canvas and maybe make the lower part of him a spider, the hands are a great idea and drawn really well, keep at it you still have a week left !

Kaz I thought the little boy got his arm torn off, but then again it's pretty cloudy in my mind, I just remember the beginning and ending.