April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN - June 2015 - IT Movie Poster - Pennywise remake - WIPS

18 Jun 2015 13:34 #11342 by Valence
Cherry: The crack across the forehead looks great. I think the one on the cheek is unnecessary plus it's really hard to get it to follow the shape of the face in that area so if it was me I'd remove that one or tone it down a little. But of course that's just a personal opinion, feel free to keep it there and make it look even better! ;)
If you are still looking for something to fiddle with then a bit of work on the ear could add that extra bit of polish (if your layers permit with that overlapping hair.) To my eye that's the only area that could use the improvement, everything else looks pretty damn good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2015 05:27 #11358 by CherryGraphics
I'll try to paint the ear a bit better thanks :) (I don't like ears. it's like hands. :huh: )

but hey there's still a lot of month leftover so I began the big project I wanted since I was... what... 12?

1. thought: Oh my..... what a tome!
2. thought: Who the hell made this weird cover? :ohmy:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

19 Jun 2015 13:53 - 19 Jun 2015 13:55 #11362 by Valence
Nope I don't like hands either. It'd be great if everyone wore mittens! :cheer:

But I love doing ears! And I love doing them because of this tip, and it's a tip that requires no knowledge or skill, nor do you have to learn anything but once you know it you can do ears easily. And the tip is this...

Think of the ear as a letter "y" inside the number "9". And that's it.

Obviously you have to flip it for the other side but it's easy. (Easier than trying to make those pictures into an animated gif!)
Attachments:

19 Jun 2015 19:54 #11371 by Valence
Right, I've put the graveyard scene in and spent some time adding some subtle shadows on a multiply layer. One of the weaknesses of the image was the dominance of the light areas so softening the transitions has helped a little.
I've also made a little logo. One of my favourite movie logos was from A.I. where the letters were spelled out by the positive and negative shapes of the robot boy so I've tried to do something similar with a boy and the clown to spell out "iT". I'm not sure it works but it'll suffice unless I have another idea.

I'll leave it now until next week and then I shall add some more text and perhaps fiddle with the overall colour balance.
Attachments:

19 Jun 2015 21:04 #11375 by kazky
That's Brilliant Valence, it also reminds me of The Stand so double Stephen King value :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

20 Jun 2015 10:23 #11395 by bergy68
Valence I absolutely love this poster concept. My only critique if I may is cause the lettering concept for "IT" is fantastic but I think it needs some POP, maybe some rim lighting on one of its side to give it some more form. Maybe you were already planning something else. Either way awesome poster!

Best Mikey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

20 Jun 2015 10:46 #11398 by kazky
Oh yeah rim light would really work well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20 Jun 2015 13:36 #11400 by Valence
Thank you both, I completely agree it needs something else there.

I do struggle with typography. When I try to freehand it it just ends up looking like my handwriting and when I use fonts it just looks like something from another picture that I've pasted in.
For this I was initially trying to create a stencil look in a flat bright red colour but it looked ridiculously artificial so I tried to knock it back with some textured smeary blood colour sampled from the lips. But yes, I have taken it too far the other way, I will try to bring it back from the darkness.
One other issue is that when doing these gimmicky logos the ultimate question is: does it actually read as lettering at first glance without extraneous explanation? And to be honest, as it is, I don't think it does. Perhaps the suggested changes will help that too. I'm also thinking about removing the clown details of nose and buttons to make it a more solid silhouette.
But anyway... I shall leave it for the weekend and not look at it in order to come at it with fresh eyes next week.
Many thanks for comments and advice.

20 Jun 2015 17:50 - 20 Jun 2015 17:53 #11410 by microscopi
Cherry I agree with Valence about the scratches, maybe just some less subtle ones, I really like the shading you did on the kids in the background, looks really atmospheric.

Valence that's a cool idea with the graves in the front, I definitely agree the letters need some more umph but I really think how you shaped them was an awesome idea.

Haven't been on much, just getting to that time of year where awesome weather and busy outdoor schedules go hand in hand :woohoo: I think i'm going with this direction, worked up the lighting more, next updates i'm just going to be cleaning it up more and more and adding small details to the background.

Attachments:

21 Jun 2015 00:13 - 21 Jun 2015 00:15 #11419 by Valence
Micro: The lighting on your picture is just perfect! The transition from light to dark down the picture balances in exactly the way it should. And just like Cherry's pic it has the look and feel of a film poster.
The extra detailing to the face give it that direct connection with evil that we all fear. Super sinister.
I also like having the release date at the bottom (I might steal that!)
The IT lettering is a little smooth and transparent in places. Perhaps making it grittier with some dirty hard opaque edges would make it fit with the overall textured style.

But I'll say it again: Super Sinister! :ohmy: