April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN - June 2015 - IT Movie Poster - Pennywise remake - WIPS

13 Jun 2015 19:15 #11152 by Charlotte
Creepy clowns everywhere!
Valence - just wanted to say I rather like the lopsidedness of your clown's mouth - I think it's just the corners of the mouth that needs fixing really.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Jun 2015 22:12 #11182 by Susie1981
Hi Guys

Well last month was a bit of a dead loss for me - Just no time as usual. But determined to get something in this month. Went up to york this weekend and as I have said before Trains are the best place for sketching!
So started this... Kinda like him so far but lots to do....

Attachments:

15 Jun 2015 02:38 - 15 Jun 2015 02:39 #11184 by microscopi
This is appropriately going on this weekend. :woohoo:

Attachments:

15 Jun 2015 05:33 - 15 Jun 2015 09:26 #11185 by CherryGraphics
Nice sketch susie! Hope to see more from you this time :)

He reminds me a bit of someone but I can't tell who... o.O I'll think about it ^^

omg micro - this is a nightmare!

and thank you all for these lovely words :D worked a bit on the lights again and placed a nice little spider belonging to the net in the head... :lol: (Yes I hate clowns. And I hate spiders.)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

15 Jun 2015 20:02 #11239 by Valence
Susie: That's a nice sketch with a suitably manic expression. Hope you get enough time to work on it. :)

Cherry: I was gonna suggest some extra light to outline the head but you've already done it before I could say. I agree with Dragon; this pic is too good and too quick. Perhaps we can have an "end of month" contest for the rest of us.

I've expanded the canvas on mine in order to make space for the text and/or logos but I'm not sure how that's gonna work just yet. I've straightened the mouth but tried to keep some creepy asymmetry with the hair and makeup, and in the way the image "drains" downwards towards the right. Painting the frilly collar has been tedious and awful but it's mostly done now. Next I need to add some shadows across the whole picture and then try to make it look like a "Film Poster"... Somehow.

Attachments:

16 Jun 2015 06:10 #11247 by CherryGraphics
hahahahaha this is too cute Val - thanks a lot :D

I really "like" your clown! The eyebrow is really special :D And I think you did a good work by straightened the mouth a bit - it looks much more scary than last time.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

16 Jun 2015 07:23 #11248 by SchizophreniaWolf

Hey guys nice updates, glad you like my first wip, :woohoo: going to try to lighten up on the creepy a bit, with some different colors. I don't think he necessarily has to have red hair, blue hair can be scary too!
Valence, you put a lot of detail in your pic and I think it looks great, definitely creepy though, it's easy to switch things up if they're not working, you will just waste more time on something you don't like.
Cherry loving the direction yours is going also from your usual stuff, it's really coming along great.

This one is great, Micro!!! the texture and the colors are very artistic, LOVE IT!

17 Jun 2015 02:38 - 17 Jun 2015 02:50 #11300 by microscopi
Wow thanks Wolf :woohoo: Means a lot coming from you, your a tough critic, hopefully I didn't ruin it with my update as you didn't copy the one after that!

Susie, that's a great sketch so far, I should sketch on the train too, tried drawing on my phone but it really isn't user friendly yet. Hopefully you can get some more time to color and detail more.

Dragon, that's an interesting pose, I can really imagine where you could take it, would be cool to see.

Valence, I like the eyebrow and the mouth works now, you really captured the creppyness of his expression, looks like he could just start eating you like a watermellon with those teeth.

Cherry really like the background details almost more then the clown, the little kids look awesome just with the sillouette and shadows, and the font for IT is really cool

Attachments:

18 Jun 2015 00:15 #11313 by Valence
Micro: I do like your colour choices here, they're not what you would normally associate with horror but you're making it work in a really imaginative way. The swirling curves of the spider webs are doing a nice job of framing the character and obscuring details in a sinister way. And those hairy leg things coming out of the back are just horrible. Horrible! :cheer:

I haven't done too much on mine as I was distracted by a Photoshop problem but I did try to add some more details in that newly acquired space at the bottom. I've been having go at incorporating that open graves scene just to act as a ground plane to draw you in before fading it out beneath the clown. However it currently looks a little too much like two separate paintings stuck together (which of course it is!)
In fact I'm somewhat baffled by the way Cherry's pic looks exactly like a film poster and mine doesn't. There must be some kind of intangible style of composition that subconsciously says "Film Poster" to me and that picture has it. So I have just downloaded a job lot of horror movie posters and tomorrow I shall study them until I have a headache in order to find out what I need to do.

18 Jun 2015 05:45 - 18 Jun 2015 08:36 #11317 by CherryGraphics
hehe yeah thanks micro - I'm so glad you all like the poster so far :) (And if not - I had enough fun doing this for two :P )

I really like your color choices. It looks like a psychodelic shock to see such a horror clown so your own world swooshes away and gets unnatual colors. :D

Thanks again Val :blush: Maybe it would be good for you playing around with fonts to get a better feeling for film poster? So you can see which space you need and which space you can fill in other ways.

edit: worked a bit on his face again. Too much cracks or not? ^^

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: