April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

20 May 2015 13:38 #10723 by CherryGraphics
Thanks for the feedback Val & Jessie :)

Today I had so much fun painting the smoke scenes! :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 May 2015 16:22 - 21 May 2015 16:27 #10743 by edtuckerartist
Loosing my will to continue this - almost ready to scrap it and start again. (it's not the painting or my skills rather it is my concentration levels saying move on to something new.) :unsure:

Actually just want to make it an abstract and splash paint all over it :blink:
Attachments:

21 May 2015 17:32 #10745 by edtuckerartist
Attachments:

22 May 2015 04:34 #10747 by microscopi
Here's my latest update, had some time to work more on it tonight. Cherry the spirits look great, the change of the women and baby on the opposite side does work a lot better, the lighting effects surrounding her really add a nice touch, looking great! !
Ed dpm't get frustrated just work on the character detail more to match the background some, it has a great perspective and interesting depth.
Dragon, the lighting on yours is coming along really great, has a real sinister type of vibe.

Attachments:

22 May 2015 08:17 #10748 by kazky
wow i love that micro, great atmosphere!

Just one thing and i'm not sure if it's your intention, but are you right handed? It's very right sided, have you flipped it? I only notice as my images ALWAYS slant to the right.

In all honestly artistically you can easily get away with it, i just thought i'd mention it :) (sorry!!)

22 May 2015 12:50 #10749 by CherryGraphics
Great update micro! I really really really like the ground andthe trees and the spidernet and the mage and... everything about it!

Don't give up Ed! There's enough time to begin a new painting AFTER this one. Work on the charakter and begin to make the picture a whole one, background and forground united... :)

and ... thanks micro :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

22 May 2015 18:07 #10754 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

22 May 2015 20:07 #10755 by Valence
Cherry: Looks done! Don't fiddle too much.

Ed: I know how you feel. The middle bit of a painting is always the easiest. The hard bits for me are coming up with the idea and sketching out the composition, and then even harder is that final push to get that detail and polish of a finished work. (In fact I always fail on that last one.)
Just don't give up!!!

Micro: Even with the angles you're still controlling the picture very well. The one thing I'd tweak is to lighten the two distant trees in the centre, but only ever so slightly, to push them away a bit more atmospherically. But everything in the image is working so don't lose it.

Dragon: I like the red light and the way it picks out the eyes from the dark. If you're going to stick with a silhouette I'd recommend more detail in the background. However another option would be to add some rim lights left and right of the model (but at the same depth, maybe fractionally behind) to shape the form inwards toward the darker centre. Coming along nicely though.

And some of mine…

Been spending most of my time just putting things on shelves! (Feels like the artistic equivalent of housework!) Drawing then redrawing in the correct perspective! (Yawn.) I'm still not sure about the hair or what to do with it. I'm actually working three versions of different length and style…

…I'll have to make a decision eventually. Next week I'll clean up the book magic and I want to add a couple of things… maybe something in the background at the top and then perhaps a foreground object to clip off that bottom right corner to stop your eye falling out of the picture.
Attachments:

23 May 2015 10:28 #10763 by Dragon6261
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

23 May 2015 18:47 - 23 May 2015 18:49 #10768 by Kodabble
Haven’t posted in a while and I’m coming into this late as always. Some really nice work going on here. I’ll try to post mine in separate post.
So here are my comments for what they are worth:

Edtuckerartist: If you start over it’snot too late. Look at me I’m just getting started (of course I might not get finished) . But why not keep working this. My suggestions for this would be a tighter cropping to the main character and since he appears to be traditional sorcerer then go to what appears to be your earlier idea of an old time village street as the back ground , maybe night with moon (dark and mysterious.

CherryGraphics: Cherry, first off congrats on your last challenge win. Loved the ghost gummies. Are these haunting you from your ImaginationFX self portrait of you eating them (LOL). Anyway great non-traditional idea of the theme. Color and light are really nice. The only crit I see are related to some of the proportions especially the woman’s head it seems too small for her body. Did a quick comparison below>

Valence : Great work as always. Love the expression. The hair would seem to depend on which gender you are trying to imply. Since young children have a rather gender neutral look sometimes the hair length is your only key to make you think of whether it’s a boy or girl. So the shorter hair makes me think boy the longer makes me think girl so it depends on if you want people to identify. I think either works.

Microscopi: Like the dark atmosphere of this and angled view adds to the scene. Have you thought of giving your sorcerer some kind of magical glow either by adding a right had with a glowing ball or adding a glowing gem to his staff(like it appears you had in earlier WIP)? This would also give a second light source.

Dannyblack: Welcome as a new member. Like this idea. The cat is coming along nicely. My suggestion is watch your horizon. Never put it high unless you want an areal view. In this case Lowering the floor line thus the horizon and making the door bigger, puts the cat in greater danger of being caught. Did a quick play with your image to give an idea of what I’m talking about>

Dragon6261: Also welcome as a new member. See you are working with a 3D image. Are you going to use that as final or paint over it like your first post. You had a good start with that and personally I’d like to see you use the 3D as a model reference to do it in a painting or combination of both 3D and digital painting.

SchizophreniaWolf: What can I say but great and humorous sketch, especially the pose and expression of the apprentice? Let’s see more.

ebArt: And yet another new member, welcome. Really great start and lovely atmosphere Looking forward to update.

Susie1981: Wow another new member, welcome to you (All these new members in this this challenge is great, but now I feel older). Lovely sketch. The apprentice is really clever, though I’m wondering what the sorcerer is doing with his hand off the image and his gaze going that direction. Looking forward to your next update.

Hope I got very one. Looking forward final posts.
Attachments: