April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

14 May 2015 13:30 - 14 May 2015 14:42 #10644 by Valence
Susie: That's a nice drawing, the pose of the girl is especially good. She looks perfectly balanced yet all those diverging angles of her legs and scrolls clearly explain the struggle, effort and movement she's making to hold everything and stay upright. Can't wait for colour.

Ebart: I had exactly the same thought about my picture regarding point and click adventures! I think it's Danny's fault for mentioning Simon the Sorcerer :) Also these kinds of bookcases remind me of the library bits in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But enough nostalgia!
The mood in your pic is developing nicely. It does still look very dark on my screens. Of course this doesn't signify anything really as I do have my monitors really gloomy :whistle: (as was discussed in previous challenges.) Even so you might want to check it on a second screen and if you do tweak the lighting using levels I'd probably leave it until right at the end of the picture. Until then just keep going as you are.

Ed: You've certainly took the time to work out the right perspective there! (If only I had the patience to do that! It would save me so much effort with error correction.) The face is nice and creepy in a fairytale kind of way but still has a sense of mischief to it.

Cherry: I'm really liking the variety of faces and poses you have in your picture. Group scenes can often have a generic quality to the figures but you're managing to create clear distinct personalities to the figures that distinguish their symbolic roles for the viewer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 May 2015 23:00 #10645 by edtuckerartist
Transfered my wip onto my android tablet to do some work on it while mobile, sadly my tablet (Samsung note 10.1 2012 edition) is great for quick sketches but not so good for detailing as it would take me way too long. :?

About that perspective: Yeah who knew Minecraft could be used to create art. :P

15 May 2015 00:22 #10646 by Valence
Ed: What apps do you use on your tablet? I like to mess about with wips using Sketchbook Pro. Like you I'm not very good at detailing but that has more to do with having to use my fat finger instead of an S-Pen. :P

An update....

I've been spending most of the time correcting perspective errors with the shelves. I was gonna just fudge it but then thought to myself "No, make an effort you lazy fool!" And so I did. It's still not right but it doesn't look as silly now. I can now look forward to populating those shelves with more bottles and trinkets. I also want to have a go at drawing an astrolabe but they're super hard so it might go bad and not appear and at least I've got time to try.
Cherry, you were so right about the gaze. I've tweaked the rightside eye so that it focusses at the right point and I may need to fiddle the left too. Not just yet though because I'm thinking about repositioning the head little. When I flip the image it seems to look a bit unbalanced and that might solve the problem, also adding something (a quill pen maybe) in that vacant bottom corner may help too.
Still need to fix that shoulder though and I'm experimenting with longer hair to finally solve the male/female quandary!
Attachments:

15 May 2015 04:22 #10647 by microscopi
Great start suzie, I like the character design so far, the line work looks really well detailed.
Background detailing is coming along great Valence, it's coming together all nicely, really like the bottles, the reflection and colors look great.

Worked more on lighting the background of mine, and adding small details to the forground like leaves and foliage.

Attachments:

15 May 2015 18:24 #10652 by Valence
micro: I do like that big spider's web in the distance and having the light shining through it is a great idea. I can really sense the creepy tension as the figure approaches it and the anticipation of what awaits him when he gets there. It does have that dynamic, over-the-shoulder, video game kind of feel to it as if there's a big boss battle that's gonna happen any ... minute ... now.

17 May 2015 16:05 #10687 by edtuckerartist
Feeling uninspired but tried to add a little more to this. :unsure:

Attachments:

17 May 2015 19:40 #10688 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

17 May 2015 21:49 - 17 May 2015 21:50 #10689 by Valence
Ed: Nice to see some glowing magic in your picture. Keep an eye on that neck area though, underlighting the chin can often make it too easy to lose the form around there. Some subtle shading should help you keep control.
And keep hold of that inspiration right to the end!

Dragon: Well that was an unexpected change! :) Your model has a good powerful pose and the tilt of the head adds a nice thoughtful contemplation. It would be nice to see some light emerging from the orb/sphere, like in Ed's picture. One thing to note when posing 3d models (and something I struggled with whenever I've tried this) is to try and get some flexibility to the hands by angling the joints more gradually from finger to finger. If you can get a softer gesture there it can make an enormous difference to the final image as a whole so it's well worth persevering with it.

17 May 2015 22:35 - 17 May 2015 22:38 #10690 by edtuckerartist
Yeah I know that chin was giving me so much trouble. I'll get there somehow even if I don't know where there is.
Oh and PS the magical glow was so I did not have to paint the hands :whistle:

17 May 2015 22:59 #10691 by Dragon6261
My Third.
Valence- good capture about the hands.
Attachments: