April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

07 May 2015 16:17 #10559 by edtuckerartist
Tea cup and sourcer eh?

Those earlier sketches will make an appearance somewhere no doubt.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 May 2015 16:20 - 07 May 2015 16:23 #10560 by Valence
Micro: There's an immediate sense of depth in that image. Even though the shapes are still evolving the sense of space is recognisable. Also the angled tilt of the composition adds a bit of unease and intrigue.

Cherry: I like your colour palette. All those warm reds and oranges are the kind of tones I really wish were in my picture. :cheer:

Danny: Feel free to paint whatever you like. The cat idea is good though. The pose has nicely described that mischievous curiosity of the animal unsure of the power that it's playing with.
And not only do I remember Simon The Sorcerer, I've got it on my tablet with the SCUMM app! I've yet to play through it as I'm slowly working my way through Day Of The Tentacle (with Sam And Max to follow that.) They don't make games like that anymore... well, apart from when they remake them. :dry: Obviously.

Edit: And Ed (sneaking in there while I type) that's very witty indeed. :)

08 May 2015 11:12 - 08 May 2015 11:12 #10571 by Banj

Tea cup and sourcer eh?

Is the Saucer's apprentice a spell coaster?

08 May 2015 12:52 #10572 by CherryGraphics
lol Ed :woohoo: I'm curious what you'll do with this idea :D

Thanks Val :) I really like the warm tones of fire too :)

Before weekend begins I spent some timwe with my shaman :whistle:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

08 May 2015 18:29 #10577 by microscopi
Great take on the theme Ed, it's got a lot of character so far, the way the coffee cup is in the foreground gives it a little depth right now, keep going!

Cherry, yours is coming along in typical Cherry style, I love Shaman's, playing on on Hearthstone right now, and he looks great! I like his serene lost in thought expression.

Valence really like what you have so far, you seem to get all the shapes and colors out so quickly and spend the rest of the time fine tuning the details! The glowing words from the book are a nice touch though.

Danny welcome! What you have so far looks great ! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm a cat guy so I get it.

Update from me, I didn't really have a clear story in mine just liked the thumnail, but now that i'm working on it more I like the story about the scorceror casst a spell he shouldn't of and it had some harmful side effects, changing him into a giant spider, the apprentice is trying to catch him to change him back, the tower is in the background because that was an idea I was playing with.

Attachments:

08 May 2015 23:00 #10580 by edtuckerartist
Well the saucer and cup was not part of my plan for this painting but now hmn? Maybe has some ideas :silly:

09 May 2015 07:14 #10581 by CherryGraphics
Pls help me out Micro ^^ - what's the typical cherry style? :D
But thanks a lot :) I think at the very beginning it was hard to find your own style so everybody just looks at it and thinks : yeah - that's his / her work!" So it's always good to know I've got it ^^

I really like your update especially the effect of light you used in the background!

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

09 May 2015 14:11 #10582 by dannyblack
Cherry, that's looking great. You have captured that warm effect, and the people are coming along nicely.

Micro, thanks for the welcome! I like the whiter glow you have it's coming along great.

Val, I'm starting to show my age with these games, but I remember trying SCUMM, and it crashing the odd few times. Though one day I'll go back on it and try again :) Sadly the remakes don't have the same feel e.g. monkey island (but still enjoyed it)

Here is my update on the colours. I've only done colour an odd few times, but I've recoloured this so many times it's hard to count. Something seems to be amiss, maybe it's the colours I'm using, or the way I'm using them. Either way here is the update. I may change the colours again, I'm not sure yet.

Attachments:

09 May 2015 20:57 - 09 May 2015 21:04 #10588 by ebArt
Hi All, I´m practically new here, but love following the challenges. Some gerat ideas so far!
Valance, loving the idea and composition. Great storytelling.
Microscopi, very dramatic. Lighting and atmosphere taking good shape!
dannyblack, original and funny choice!!
Cherry, beautiful and clean work.

I started my work with a Sorcerer's "workshop", blocked in some values. Want to avoid a dark setting, so I am working on some ideas on the actual apprentice, probably going to add a toddler playing around on the floor to add a touch of humour.

Attachments:

09 May 2015 23:45 #10590 by Valence
Micro: That picture gets creepier with every update! The introduction of the background light and colour may be very subtle but still makes a difference to the space and mood.

Cherry: Your "style" is always clear and colourful, illustrative and artistic, and always with an understandable story and this picture fits the profile too. And looking at the detail you've added this picture is going to be even more ambitious than I first thought. It looks like it'll be another good one.

Danny: The colour and light are working well to define the forms in your picture. I'd think about enlarging the cats eyes a little more. This would reduce the perceived length of the nose and help you emphasize the expression on it's face. Looks good so far!

EbArt: Welcome to the challenge! And what a great interior! Already the space and structure is really clear and believable and the way you're detailing it with appropriate props makes it look really authentic. I've been trying to fit some of those bookcases into the background of my picture without much success so I think I'll be watching your picture's development to pick up some tips. Great work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ebArt