April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

24 May 2015 17:17 #10784 by Valence
Micro: Earlier on in the pic I was thinking about putting some glowing angry eyes beneath the sorcerer's hood but when I tried to paint them in it looked very silly indeed. (In fact I was super envious of one of Dragon's previous wips where the red light picked the eyes out of the darkness in a way that was brilliantly subtle!) It was about that time that I put that eye in the jar on the back shelf. Perhaps that could be the sorcerer's eye, I thought, and maybe he leaves it behind to watch over his workshop like some magical CCTV camera that sees when the apprentice is up to something. :) But that idea was clearly a cheating way to avoid painting it properly. :evil:
I may have another go at some eyes or a suggestion of a face but I'm not confident about my ability to paint it.

Also let me agree with your admiration of Dragon's philosophy of art and drawing. It's great to be able to share in that too! That's what forums and challenges are all about.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2015 23:04 #10800 by microscopi
I see what you mean Valence, I tried to visualize a face too and couldn't come up with anything, maybe a silhouette of a crooked nose might be cool, but it looks good as it is too. I think i'm almost done with mine, I think the perspective tilt is working now, added an arm, not sure if it's working though, but mainly trying to focus on the detail.

Attachments:

26 May 2015 12:54 #10807 by CherryGraphics
Think the arm works well micro - gives the sorcerer more dimension I think :)
Also like the reddish glowing things!

Think I'm done with mine too :) A little bit glimmer and glitter here and there . And I changed the mood a bit of the colors - didn't want it to monochrome and I think with the green and the purple in the spirits you see the opposites better.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

26 May 2015 21:37 #10814 by Valence
Looking good everyone.

Just popping in to dish out a couple of thank yous. One to micro for encouraging me to have another go at the sorcerer's face, and one to Dragon for demonstrating in those wips how to use subtle light to pick a face out of darkness. I spent some time studying them and used what I learned to paint in a face today and it's much better than my previous failed attempt. 2d painting learning from someone else's 3d renders! :cheer: That's exactly what I was talking about a few posts back.
Now the sorcerer looks like the old fellow he should be instead of the faceless hooded character which looked a bit too evil.
I'm now just trying to put in a bird cage at the top (won't post it yet because it still looks a little clumsy. It's a bit difficult and may get removed if it goes wrong) and then I should be done.

27 May 2015 15:49 #10819 by Kodabble
WIP2 Started adding color:

Attachments:

28 May 2015 06:22 #10830 by CherryGraphics
Great choice of colors Kodabble!

I don't know what this is with the proportions of the sorcerer ... maybe his left leg is too short or his head is a bit to big or maybe some of both... :dry: But I think you'll manage this at a later point... :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

28 May 2015 10:50 #10835 by Charlotte
DRAGON - for the final, you've put in WIP links to your images, not to your posts with images. It should be to the posts in this thread (poke kazky about it if you need any help getting the links :) )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

28 May 2015 16:41 #10837 by Kodabble
Cherry, thanks for the crits, Does need some fixes. Did a comparison of my model (3D since I can’t get a live one :silly: ). Of course I did some mods like turn the head a little to look at the flame, moved the left arm back so the apprentice could be moved closer. I think the head is the right proportion especially for a small old man, but the left leg does need something. Probably move his robe up to expose his knee. Will give it a try and hope to finish.

Dragon: Sorry to hear about your stroke, but it’s great that you are continuing with your art. Using the 3D is always a fine way to accomplish a final work. Me, I use it as shown to act as my models. What I was referring to was looking at was your first post to this challenge, which appears to be painted, I liked especially the coloring over the 3D. Hopefully you will keep at the painting too. Remember Frank Frazetta had a major stroke and switched to using his other hand. So however you choose to do it 3D or painting, keep practicing, keep working and keep posting. That’s what this forum is for – to do – support – improve – and have fun. :cheer:
Attachments:

28 May 2015 18:28 #10840 by edtuckerartist
Advance notice, I've not finished my entry. Wacom is gathering dust abandoned on the coffee table while I watch youtube. :blush:

28 May 2015 20:14 #10841 by Dragon6261
Well my first Wip was me

Majorly warp, and background eraser that was me
Attachments: