March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

10 May 2015 10:31 #10594 by dannyblack
ebArt, I thought it would be a great choice, and glad you like it ;) Yours is looking great though, can't wait to see it finished!

Thanks Val, I have made his eyes a little wider, and redone a lot of his body. Hopefully this one is close enough to what I feel I am satisfied with. I'm unsure about the wand light , as that was just filling in at the start, but I forgot how vital Photoshop can be with layers, and I've drew the light and cat on the same layer!, so it's going to take a while to fix that without messing up the cat :ohmy: Next time I'll probably do a lot different.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 May 2015 18:27 #10595 by edtuckerartist
Jumping into some Base colours.

Attachments:

10 May 2015 19:47 - 10 May 2015 19:48 #10599 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

11 May 2015 00:38 - 11 May 2015 00:53 #10601 by microscopi
Cherry style is definitely really vibrant with lots of cool elements, amiright? I don't know how to best describe it but you definitely have one!
Danny I like the color pallett and the motion, maybe adding something large to the background will bring more focus to the cat.
Ed welcome to challenge, you have a really strong idea so far, it's looking great, I like the church sort of architecture.
Thanks Valence, I think i'm going to be committed to this one so no changing things mid challenge !
Ed update is looking great! Keep the momentum going, look forward to seeing more.
Dragon thats an interesting image, reminds me of a wise old samurai master.

Worked up the detail, I lost my only pair of contacts and I don't have glasses so my face was plastered right up to my sceen, so I think it may look a lot different when my contacts come in, but let me know what you guys think.

Attachments:

11 May 2015 02:40 - 11 May 2015 03:10 #10602 by edtuckerartist
It's 3.30am just finished watching a film and i feel like painting even though I'm dog tired. :O
Looking at my last wip and ideas are forming, mainly small details to embellish the scene. Like an ornate belt with charms hanging from it and lot's more details for the hat. I know if I sleep now I'll forget them all by morning so that is partly why I'm posting this here, the other is my mind won't shut off and relax. :huh:
I'm not actually that happy with the background as it has a lot of perspective errors and and... I lost my train of thought. :ohmy:

PS I've also run out of tobacco so my brain cells are starting to come alive a little too much. :whistle:

Edit: Oh and would you belive my last wip already has almost 40 layers :silly:
See:
Attachments:

11 May 2015 05:49 #10603 by CherryGraphics
aaah ok I see. Thanks Val & Micro :) So it sounds like I really found my style :D

Good to see new people here :)

micro - this looks great! But I miss a bit the darkness from the beginning.. maybe you can turn the brightness a little bit down in the foreground at the end to give the picture the feeling from the beginning back. :)

ed: oh wow... 3.30am? My respect! :D But yeah sometimes the best ideas are coming from the unusual times / places. ^^

danny: like the addition of the hand in the background! It looks creepy enough to get a little shiver o.O

welcome dragon! Like micro said this looks a bit like a samurai. :D So I'm curious what will come next.
(And thanks for the vote in the other thread :) but I think the voting might be over for days :whistle: )

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

11 May 2015 06:55 #10604 by SchizophreniaWolf
Cherry: I don't like Indians, and no I'm not a cowboy :D, but i like your paint, a bonfire as a light source always creates a sort of dreamy mood for me. As a kid I was a bit to obsessed with fire, one day i almost burned down the house. lol
Micro: Looking great indeed. Looks like a scene from witcher 3. only the lower part of the wizards robe goes down a bit like a trompet (symetrical = boring), and looks a little to short. But already one of the best paints I've seen from you, awsome.
ebArt: Hello! Nice mood!

I was working on an entry for this challenge but then my computer crashed and I lost it all. :( Ow wel

11 May 2015 16:15 #10613 by dannyblack
Schizo: I feel your pain, happened to me at the weekend except all the electric flicked off, found out it was the pond pump :( but never mind, I guess these things happen. Hopefully you keep going though! :)

11 May 2015 20:01 - 11 May 2015 20:40 #10616 by Valence
Schizo: Noooooo! Damn those computer crashes. Keep going, I don't think I can cope without my monthly Schizo painting. Save and save often!

Dragon: Welcome (or welcome back!) A nice start, looks eerie in a subtle way, that face emerging from the bright background. Look forward to seeing what you'll add to it.

Danny: I didn't notice that hand at first but it's a really great idea, especially how it repeats the shape of the cat's tail. I like it when details reveal themselves slowly, it makes you want to keep coming back to look again to see if you've missed anthing else.

Micro: Nice to see the foreground taking shape. I can now see the story developing without being told. As Schizo said play around with the size of that figure it looks a little short but the rest of the picture is working well around him.

Ed: 40 layers! I always paint on just one (apart from the odd lighting effect, if I remember.) I don't think I could keep track of 40 so well done to you if you can!

Done a bit of work on mine...

Corrected some perspective errors (although there are plenty more!) added some wood detail and began to fill in some background props; a bit of a bookcase and maybe some bottles and potions. Should probably have done that before the candle flame as it's rather difficult. That's what you get for painting on one layer!
I'm not too happy with the apprentice character, it's becoming a bit more cartoonish that I'd intended, that kind of thing tends to happen when I don't use reference, also the reaching shoulder isn't quite right. And... I'm still not sure if it's male or female!? I couldn't decide early on when sketching and now it's just progressing in an androgynous way. :S
Attachments:

12 May 2015 00:56 - 12 May 2015 01:23 #10617 by microscopi
I sort of rebooted mine back to the original sketch, I got away from it because everyone kept thinking my sorcerer was an octopus :blink: But I made it darker and made sorcerer taller, and hopefully more badass like the suggestions, thanks guys :woohoo:

Like how yours is coming Valence, I can't notice any perspective problems at all, really like the color choices and attention to the background details. You could make some atmospheric lighting effect with the sorcerer coming through the door with light rays and maybe scale him down a bit too. I haven't used any reference either so that's why mine looks sort of like an octupus still !
Cherry I hope its dark enough for you now, it's really spookin me out!
Ed wow that is a tons of layers ! Its kind of freeing using just one, then you can just go nuts, I have the fog on a separate layer because it covers such a large part tho.
Schiz sorry bout your progress, but go again, the next one will be better man, I want to see yer style

Attachments: