March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN May 2015 - The Sorcerer's Apprentice - WIPs

18 May 2015 01:08 #10692 by edtuckerartist
A little more tonight . Too tired to continue

thought I better wait for this to save before I save it :silly:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 May 2015 06:09 #10694 by CherryGraphics
Back from short-short vacation. :D There are a lot of new updates since I was here last.

ed: I really want to know how yours turn out at the end!
dragon: nice update! What will you paint around the body?
susie: i love the sketch! The little girl reminds me a bit of my beloved Alice in Wonderland - maybe it's the style you used. :D
val: it's so much better now with the angle and gaze of your figure now :)
micro: that's awesome! love the spidernet in the background a lot!

So. Now I'm going to paint on mine a little more :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

18 May 2015 06:11 - 18 May 2015 06:12 #10695 by aonodori
Firstly congrats on previous contest Cherry!

There's a lot of entries in this one, some of them i'm a little confused as to the "apprentice" part of the brief but the image themselves are still looking impressive.

I probably won't compete in this month, i've been on holiday for the last couple of weeks working on my own projects which i'll try and post in the WIP section when I make my own folder... one day. I'm back at work now so I can look at the forums again! (wait, that isn't right is it? :P )

Not to single out anyone but Schizo, I absolutely love that drawing it reminds me of the faraway tree for some reason.

18 May 2015 06:14 #10696 by aonodori
Although I did just remember my dream from last week about a sorcerer chicken..... Maybe it's a sign

18 May 2015 13:42 - 18 May 2015 14:04 #10697 by CherryGraphics
Thanks Aonodori :)

Worked on my indian princess... more tomorrow. ^^
Yes the lights and shadows from the fire aren't completely right but I'll work them out at the end.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

18 May 2015 19:12 #10699 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

18 May 2015 21:11 - 18 May 2015 21:12 #10700 by Valence
Cherry: I think the shadows look pretty good now. A bit more brightness in the core of the fire would work well but I already know you're good at doing flames, I remember your pic for the Halloween challenge! ;)

Dragon: You're developing the mood very well and it's getting close to the face and atmosphere you showed in your first wip. The fall off of the light on the hands does looks very sharp. It may help to tone down the direct light a little bit in that area for the 3d render and then at the end add in a glow in post-production using some 2d software like Photoshop.
But it's looking like a classic wizard now and the eyes have a great expression.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragon6261

19 May 2015 12:48 - 19 May 2015 13:42 #10703 by CherryGraphics
That's nice Val :- Thanks! :) But I just meant the lights from the fire on the bodies... :whistle:
The fire itself was just a sketch-fire, quick painted to show the light source from the beginning. ^^

I finally placed every indian around the fire - and painted the final fire. :)
Now it's definitly time for the last act - smoke and magic :silly: :woohoo:

EDIT: changed the positions of the front indians.
Thought: create space between the shaman and the little apprentice, give room to the fire , ... what do you think?

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

19 May 2015 13:59 #10704 by jessie
They are all coming along nicely. Sadly, I won't be participated in this one due to life. I may try and finish Artemis. Maybe.

Cherry - I think changing positions was a good idea. The over all composition of the piece is more balanced now.

19 May 2015 18:41 #10710 by Valence
Cherry: That's a good decision. Switching the figures so that the baby now opposes the Shaman makes more sense of the narrative and will look even better when the smoke is put in. I'd work a bit more on the shading of the woman's knees. The leg nearest to us looks much wider at the moment. The flames look lovely though.