April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

21 Jul 2017 15:35 #17078 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
Not sure on the eyes? It's been a while, but I think I just threw it in and never changed it? Will definitely take another look.

Thanks... After looking at them for a while, I too leaned toward the singing version, mostly because of the action aspect it, and for some reason it seemed to be more balanced? Though something about the other one still grabs at me for some reason? ... I did quickly throw down some BG colors late last night, just to get a feel for possibilities. I decided to take off today and possibly Monday to get a few things done around the house. But hope to put in a little time here and there on this as well.

Thanks again :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Jul 2017 03:47 #17089 by Digital Dave
Little more on the BG...

Attachments:

22 Jul 2017 09:05 #17090 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
I love the edge of the clouds there :)

I felt she looked a little off anatomically (the head seems a bit big) so I tried a sketchover, but in the end my sketch ended up fairly similar to yours so I dunno :P I do think we'd see a bit less forhead since her head is tilted away from the viewer.... and I'd make the arm to our left a wee bit longer at the elbow and the other a wee bit shorter... But it's a work in progress, and I know how much detail you add in the end.

Here's my sketch for comparison anyhow. Same thing, "my style" :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

22 Jul 2017 15:17 - 22 Jul 2017 15:19 #17091 by Digital Dave
Thanks, I got a bit caught up with those last night, but got tired and didn't finish. I still need to work up the upper portion some more.

Haha... Yep, I noticed those things as well. The sketches were done quite rough and quickly. ... When I changed the pose to the singing one, I simply used the transform tool to quickly move limbs into close position. But I never re-sized them correctly. When I tried to make the left arm longer for the pose, it kept getting larger in diameter, making her look 'Hulky'. So i figured I'd just fix that proper when I started working her up. (I also need to get it properly positioned for strumming too. Acoustic guitars are quite thick and I always preferred the thinner bodies of electric guitars myself, but I don't think that would fit well here.) - Other errors I want to correct, besides what you already mentioned are; Her hands are too small, the neck of the guitar is way too thick, the body of the guitar looks kind-of 'cartoon-y', etc. :) (I will definitely look to fix those)

Appreciate the paint-overs and advice. - I have to say, I keep looking at your center example image though. I know it's a mock-up, but I can't help seeing a young, goth girl, sitting in a summer dress strumming away! :lol: Something about that seems so wrong, but yet somehow right as well? :blink: ... thanks again.

22 Jul 2017 15:22 #17092 by Charlotte
:P I guess a thick pen makes it look like she's got heavy make up lol

oh and don't forget her feet! :silly:

23 Jul 2017 15:44 #17097 by Digital Dave
Feet indeed. :) ... quick update. Storms have put a damper on things here, but I fiddled a little between shutting down during the heavy down pours. Just threw in something for grass ATM and played with some shadows, but mostly worked in the fence and BG some more.

Attachments:

02 Aug 2017 22:13 - 02 Aug 2017 22:16 #17243 by Digital Dave
Been busy all week, but finally got some time sit down with this last night... But then realized I'm not sure the sun yellow dress would work as I first thought? (shown in previous post) - So after dropping in some color, I'm still not sure. I think I've tried just about every combo, but nothings really speaking to me. The last two I was thinking of were a red or pinkish/purplish color? Though I did this quickly, I'm just trying to find something that doesn't scream out too much, but that works with the rest...

Here's one version in red, though it's a bit dark still with not many highlights...

And the same pinkish/purplish color...

I've tried greens, blues, browns, etc. I just haven't found one that tells me it's right. If anyone has a suggestions, I'd love to hear them. ... Thanks.

Oh, and her strumming arm/hand was fixed some, I just don't have that layer on ATM. Realized after posting.

Attachments:

03 Aug 2017 09:16 #17249 by Charlotte
I rather like the red one. Maybe you could add white dots for a pattern or something if you don't feel a colour woirks well on it's own?

03 Aug 2017 09:20 #17252 by kazky
Replied by kazky on topic Dave's Digitals
Dave that sky is beautiful

03 Aug 2017 11:22 #17271 by Digital Dave
Thank you kindly ladies. :)

Charlotte, I was actually thinking of adding some white trim, but I really like the polka-dot idea! Will definitely give that a go.

Thanks, Kazky, Was originally thinking of having just puffy, white clouds with lighter tones. But as I started dropping in shapes and colors, I really liked the more colorful look. I just hoped they weren't coming across as major storm clouds.

Thanks again! :)