April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Dave's Digitals

12 Aug 2017 21:03 #17598 by Digital Dave
Replied by Digital Dave on topic Dave's Digitals
The 'Not-so Ugly Duck' ... a true story, by well, me... :)

Once there was a Duck. Not much was known of this particular duck, other then, well, ..it was a Duck. :blink: Apparently the Duck walked (waddled) into the yard and up through the carport, passing through the vehicles with ease. Once closer to the house, the Female Mallard then just stood patiently next to the steps at the side door of the home. ......... :blink:

What?......

That's it. ... Well, at least that's when my wife and son returned from the store and I heard my wife say, from just outside the door, "Honey... we have a duck in the yard!" :huh: ... ... So when she came in the door, I simply looked up and asked, 'what does the Duck want?' ... With a smirk and slight giggle, the wife responded 'Now how would I know?' :P

So anyway, we stepped back outside, where sure enough, there was a Duck. It had now stepped off the carport and was simply walking around in the grassy area on the side of the house. It didn't seem too spooked and was quacking the entire time, so we weren't sure what was up with the Duck? It didn't seemed scared or frightened, and when you walked toward it, it simply waddled a few steps in front of you, but didn't run.And then it sometimes followed when you walked away from it? :? ... We were still not sure what was going on with this Duck, whether it was injured or simply stopping by. :lol: But we also didn't want it to be introduced to one of the neighborhood dogs, (Yeah, one of ones that some fools let just run loose!) or even one our own for that matter. - So we called Animal Control and explained this all to them. 15 minutes later, a lady Dog Duck-Catcher showed up and we explained the whole thing, all the while standing there watching the Duck. ... Me wanting to get back into the house and not needing to watch the scene unfold, went back into the house.

...Only to be called back out a few moments later. Apparently, (and I'm just speculating here) but the Duck for some strange reason, didn't want to go for a ride with this new human with the big net? ;) So decided to play Duck, Duck, Goose, but without all the sitting down nonsense. :lol: ... Apparently it decided to simply stand under my Dodge Ram, quacking in it's tauntingly way, until the lady with the net decided, 'Oh screw it!' And simply packed up her net and we ourselves went back in the house. ... Well, all the time this was going on, two of my pups, Kito and Khaleesi, were standing at the bay window, trying to get a look at what was going on. They watched the 'Net Lady' leave and just a moment later the Duck then decided to walk from under the truck and across the front yard, right in front of this window... So Kito, who apparently knows how to speak 'Duck' simply let out a loud bark, and the Duck without hesitation, took off and flew off down along the road as they watched it sail away. ... What did the Duck want? Was she there for a reason? We may never know! ... THE END. :)

Meanwhile, I did get to work on my pic some, between scenes of the Mallard mystery... Here's an update. Not very fond of my attempt at the highlights. Sure easier when it in someone's socket, and with lids, lashes, etc.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2017 21:26 - 12 Aug 2017 21:29 #17599 by Charlotte
Replied by Charlotte on topic Dave's Digitals
Aw Miss Mallard just liked your lawn. :)

Might be a bit hard to make bright white highlights when the eye is already fairly bright. Perhaps try darkening it some?
Also the shape of the highlight should follow the shape of the sphere. Right now it kind of creates a "tunnel" into the pupil.

EDIT: Oh and I usually paint eyes (irises) much as I do semi translucent gems - a highlight where the light is coming from and a less bright but larger lit up area on the opposite side (lower right in your case).

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Aug 2017 23:17 #17602 by Digital Dave
Yeah, I played around with the highlight on it quite a few times, making it lighter and darker etc. as you mentioned, and couldn't seem to get it to look right. So thought to use it for now and see if it helps to re-visit in a day or two. Actually had some on it, but took it back off before posting here, and just added something quick to the pupil.

Thanks

16 Aug 2017 21:45 #17695 by Digital Dave
Well, got a text shortly after lunch today stating; 'Dave, your glasses are ready for pick-up' :excited:

So, decided to leave an hour early (Including my son) to beat some of the crazy traffic where they're located.

Get there, put them on, and yep.. wrong lenses. :S - Apparently they gave me transition lenses. I immediately stated, um, these are supposed to be Office Lenses? I can't see jack! :dunno: (actually, only the very center of the lenses were clear for me) ... So after taking my paperwork into the back, I was told; We're sorry Dave, we will have to re-order the proper lenses (Office Lenses) and they should be back in 7 days. :(

But, my wife's glasses were actually ready too, so that's a plus. :huh: Actually, it turned out to be. I tried hers on when I got home and they are quite close to what my new ones should be. So at least I can use hers until mine do come in. :)

17 Aug 2017 06:56 #17696 by Charlotte
But then what will she use to see? :?

Btw you seem to be online permanently these days... I wonder if I am too? I never log out but just close the browser... :dry:

17 Aug 2017 11:26 #17698 by Digital Dave

But then what will she use to see? :?

I will only borrow them when needed. :) But if she starts running into things, I might let her use them. :lol: Plus she does have a couple other older pairs, though she hardly ever uses them either. Not a real strong prescription, but like mine, just a slight magnification to them.

Btw you seem to be online permanently these days... I wonder if I am too? I never log out but just close the browser... :dry:

Yeah, I noticed that too just last night. Apparently I was still logged in at work. So when I got home I seen that I was still on-line, but wasn't able to post anything until I actually logged in again from that terminal. :) ... But I don't recall seeing you logged in at all times? Sometimes just me, or one or two others. So just shutting down your browser logs you out? :huh: Might have to give that a try...

17 Aug 2017 11:31 #17699 by Charlotte
well I've always assumed it does, or rather, it doesn't log me out - I never log out - but I assume it shows me as not around... :unsure:

17 Aug 2017 12:18 #17700 by Digital Dave
Hmm, that is interesting... Because I know I do see you as on & off from time to time, as if logged in/out. But if you're not logging in but simply opening and closing the browser, I would think that is indeed what's it's doing?

Guess the only way to check would be to close the browser and not log out, and then use someone else's machine to go to the site and see what is shows? :dunno:

17 Aug 2017 12:21 - 17 Aug 2017 12:25 #17701 by Charlotte
or cellphone... But I think I'm currently logged in from work, from home and on my cell... what's odderer still is that apparently kaz is shows as being online here sometimes when she isn't...

Maybe the hamster did break the forum after all... :lol:

17 Aug 2017 13:00 #17702 by Digital Dave
Yeah, you mean the 'online/offline' indicators below the avatar, and have notice them to say offline, when the bottom area shows that person to be online. - And if you're logged in from all those devices, I can tell you that you definitely don't always show as being online, as far as members online area at the bottom goes.

As far as the hamster, maybe it's just when he gets tired and the wheel slows down too much! :P Have to keep that speed up, to keep the site running! :lol: